Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 11:55 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times

Advertisements

Apparently, some on this thread haven't actually read or viewed the debate llve because they're certainly twisting Obama's words.
Clips from transcript:
Transcript of presidential debate - CNN.com
...OBAMA: Now, understand what this means "without preconditions." It doesn't mean that you invite them over for tea one day. What it means is that we don't do what we've been doing, which is to say, "Until you agree to do exactly what we say, we won't have direct contacts with you."
There's a difference between preconditions and preparation. Of course we've got to do preparations, starting with low-level diplomatic talks, and it may not work, because Iran is a rogue regime....
MCCAIN: I'm not going to set the White House visitors schedule before I'm president of the United States. I don't even have a seal yet.
Look, Dr. Kissinger did not say that he would approve of face-to- face meetings between the president of the United States and the president -- and Ahmadinejad. He did not say that.
OBAMA: Of course not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 12:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Thank you for posting this,Tigerlily.
It seems two different debates being discussed.
I remember the first one, posted by Informed Consent.
I really don't think what Obama says there, or in Friday night's debate, would send the US to hell in a handbasket.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:52 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Thank you for posting this,Tigerlily.
It seems two different debates being discussed.
I remember the first one, posted by Informed Consent.
I really don't think what Obama says there, or in Friday night's debate, would send the US to hell in a handbasket.
Read the transcript again. Obama tried defending his YouTube debate position

YouTube - Obama / Clinton on meeting anti-US leaders

...by invoking Kissinger. He was wrong on that, plain and simple. McCain called him on that. Then, after being called on it - all of the sudden, Obama subtly decides to backpedal and go along with Hillary, McCain, and Kissinger. You've been played by Obama.

He didn't change his mind about the President meeting with rogue leaders without precondition until AFTER McCain showed how ill-advised that would be.

MCCAIN: Senator Obama twice said in debates he would sit down with Ahmadinejad, Chavez and Raul Castro without precondition. Without precondition. Here is Ahmadinejad, who is now in New York, talking about the extermination of the State of Israel, of wiping Israel off the map, and we're going to sit down, without precondition, across the table, to legitimize and give a propaganda platform to a person that is espousing the extermination of the state of Israel, and therefore then giving them more credence in the world arena and therefore saying, they've probably been doing the right thing, because you will sit down across the table from them and that will legitimize their illegal behavior.
The point is that throughout history, whether it be Ronald Reagan, who wouldn't sit down with Brezhnev, Andropov or Chernenko until Gorbachev was ready with glasnost and perestroika.
Or whether it be Nixon's trip to China, which was preceded by Henry Kissinger, many times before he went. Look, I'll sit down with anybody, but there's got to be pre-conditions. Those pre-conditions would apply that we wouldn't legitimize with a face to face meeting, a person like Ahmadinejad. Now, Senator Obama said, without preconditions.

OBAMA: So let's talk about this. First of all, Ahmadinejad is not the most powerful person in Iran. So he may not be the right person to talk to. But I reserve the right, as president of the United States to meet with anybody at a time and place of my choosing if I think it's going to keep America safe.
And I'm glad that Senator McCain brought up the history, the bipartisan history of us engaging in direct diplomacy.
Senator McCain mentioned Henry Kissinger, who's one of his advisers, who, along with five recent secretaries of state, just said that we should meet with Iran -- guess what -- without precondition. This is one of your own advisers.

MCCAIN: I'm not going to set the White House visitors schedule before I'm president of the United States. I don't even have a seal yet.
Look, Dr. Kissinger did not say that he would approve of face-to- face meetings between the president of the United States and the president -- and Ahmadinejad. He did not say that.

OBAMA: Of course not.

<Obama doesn't backpedal until there - AFTER McCain nails him on invoking Kissinger incorrectly.>

MCCAIN: He said that there could be secretary-level and lower level meetings. I've always encouraged them. The Iranians have met with Ambassador Crocker in Baghdad.
What Senator Obama doesn't seem to understand that if without precondition you sit down across the table from someone who has called Israel a "stinking corpse," and wants to destroy that country and wipe it off the map, you legitimize those comments.
This is dangerous. It isn't just naive; it's dangerous. And so we just have a fundamental difference of opinion.
As far as North Korea is concerned, our secretary of state, Madeleine Albright, went to North Korea. By the way, North Korea, most repressive and brutal regime probably on Earth. The average South Korean is three inches taller than the average North Korean, a huge gulag.
We don't know what the status of the dear leader's health is today, but we know this, that the North Koreans have broken every agreement that they've entered into.
And we ought to go back to a little bit of Ronald Reagan's "trust, but verify," and certainly not sit down across the table from -- without precondition, as Senator Obama said he did twice, I mean, it's just dangerous.

This is what you need to be worried about...

Obama: But I reserve the right, as president of the United States to meet with anybody at a time and place of my choosing if I think it's going to keep America safe.

The problem is the arrogance Obama displays without understanding the subtle nuances of foreign relations. Rogue foreign leaders will correctly perceive this as the fundamental weakness it is and will exploit that to further serve their purposes. Even Hillary knows that - she called Obama on it.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:25 AM

73 posts, read 160,658 times
Check this out

Obama's inner Kissinger (Point Prophetic Christian resources and end time Bible Prophecy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections