Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 07:46 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,042,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Why are liberals from the Northeast, California, upper mid-west (all of which they have ruined) flocking to places like NC, SC, TN?
Because they're cheaper. And trust me. We're not ALL flocking.

If I found myself accidentally living in the south, I'd get the flock out of there...fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 07:48 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,469,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
so culture enables poverty? why is it only liberals who feel that way. why do those who are surrounded by poverty, and have lived in poverty, realize that poverty is the choice of the individual 9 times out of 10? I guess it takes one to know one. there is more depth to the causes of poverty than you might see on a BBC special about hurricane katrina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Why are liberals from the Northeast, California, upper mid-west (all of which they have ruined) flocking to places like NC, SC, TN?

Maybe they're trying to improve the "culture"!

Old 09-29-2008, 11:18 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,536,572 times
I lit a fire for some, most folks thought that I had a point, others basically called me an idiot (and did not even answer my ? about the Southern Strategy that was adopted by a....Republican).
For those that say that the racial attitudes in the South won't play against Obama, you're dreaming.
Maybe not with most folks down in Dixie, but more than other places in the US for sure.
I remember living in Nashville for about 3 months, I heard on 2 occasions, white folks on the street just saying the N word out loud in public like it was normal.
I've lived in the Seattle or Portland area for almost 10 years and I've never have heard any white person say that out in the street in a conversation with themselves.
Another article about the history of this in the South.

http://www.cofc.edu/%7Ephcomm/Revise...icArticle.html

Last edited by beenhereandthere; 09-29-2008 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: modified point

Old 09-29-2008, 11:23 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,615,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I lit a fire for some, most folks thought that I had a point, others basically called me an idiot (and did not even answer my ? about the Southern Strategy that was adopoted by a....Republican).
For those that say that the racial attitudes in the South won't play against Obama, you're dreaming.
Maybe not overall, but more than other places in the US for sure.
I remember living in Nashville for about 3 months, I heard on 2 occasions, white folks on the street just saying the N word out loud in public like it was normal.
I've lived in the Seattle or Portland area for almost 10 years and I've never have heard any white person say that out in the street in a conversation with themselves.

Hmmm, I lived in Detroit, Michigan and Mt. Clemens, Michigan for a good part of my life and I heard the N word out loud in public on a weekly basis by black, white, latino, arab and asian people.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
Does anyone notice besides me that possibly 2/3's of anti-Palin folks are from the North? I've looked at the locations and the names of some of the more rabid anti-Palin people and I wonder, why is that? I have my opinion (realistically it's like asking, geez what is 2 plus 2), but I just want to hear others.
Maybe it's because in the North, they know an airhead when they see one and they don't blindly follow the GOP like they do in the South.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Hmmm, I lived in Detroit, Michigan and Mt. Clemens, Michigan for a good part of my life and I heard the N word out loud in public on a weekly basis by black, white, latino, arab and asian people.
It is common to hear that word in Pittsburgh as well, also Champaign, Ill among the places I have lived.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is common to hear that word in Pittsburgh as well, also Champaign, Ill among the places I have lived.

Hhm, that's too bad, I like Pittsburgh a lot as a city and Champaign, I thought that was a Big 10 college town.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
I do too. Whenever I see an anti-Obama post, I unconsciously look to the upright corner to see if he/she comes from a red state. And guess what, I am right majority of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
The predominantly red states are always the states with the lowest levels of educational attainment. Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas, etc. As someone one said, Republicans are either rich or very uneducated. I have to agree with this statement. I do not know many Ph.D's who are hardcore Republicans. It is either the very wealthy or the religious ignoramuses.
Quote:
Hhm, that's too bad, I like Pittsburgh a lot as a city and Champaign, I thought that was a Big 10 college town.
Yes, it is a Big 10 college town, but not eveyone there works for the university and not everyone who works for the university is non-racist.

This whole red state/blue state stuff is a bunch of BS. Colorado is officially a red state. I have lived here 28 yrs and we have had three Democratic governors in that time, a Democratic governor now, one Democratic senator and have had others in the past (Gary Hart, for one), and 4 of our 7 Representatives are Democrats. The Democrats control the state legislature.

Indiana is another "red" state that is not really as "red" as everyone makes it out to be. I don't remember the stats any more, but they have one Democratic senator, and 4 I believe of 9 Democratic representatives.

Colorado also has one of the highest levels of adults who have graduated from colleges, so if you insist on calling us "red" b/c last election Bush received a majority of vote, that does not mean "red" states are more uneducated.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:52 AM

594 posts, read 1,045,122 times
Quote:
Maybe it's because in the North, they know an airhead when they see one and they don't blindly follow the GOP like they do in the South.
So if they "blindly follow the GOP," then why does Obama's race matter?

Old 09-30-2008, 03:29 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,920,254 times
Quote:
I lit a fire for some, most folks thought that I had a point, others basically called me an idiot (and did not even answer my ? about the Southern Strategy that was adopted by a....Republican).
Maybe not with most folks down in Dixie, but more than other places in the US for sure.

I replied to your "Southern Strategy" post, see #68. You never replied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections