Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 07:33 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I lit a fire for some, most folks thought that I had a point, others basically called me an idiot (and did not even answer my ? about the Southern Strategy that was adopted by a....Republican).
For those that say that the racial attitudes in the South won't play against Obama, you're dreaming.
Maybe not with most folks down in Dixie, but more than other places in the US for sure.
I remember living in Nashville for about 3 months, I heard on 2 occasions, white folks on the street just saying the N word out loud in public like it was normal.
I've lived in the Seattle or Portland area for almost 10 years and I've never have heard any white person say that out in the street in a conversation with themselves.
Another article about the history of this in the South.

http://www.cofc.edu/%7Ephcomm/Revise...icArticle.html
Well, the times I have visited family in Des Moines I certainly have heard the N word used in public places.............I guess the north isn't as enlightened as one would postulate................... Certainly its not a word used here in the south among polite company............Butt then we are a horrible republican state aren't we.

Question, does pour spelling still indikate character also??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 07:36 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,923,896 times
Well when Obama says during a edited interview....."MY MUSLIM FAITH, I MEAN MY CHRISTIAN FAITH." What do you expect? The south always votes conservative, just like 97% of blacks who will vote for Obama are not simply voting for him because he is black. Yep 97% folks! Race in, race out, works both ways.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:58 PM

6,573 posts, read 12,081,415 times
The other 1/3 lives in Southern California (except for Los Angeles), Arizona (for obvious reasons), and the Rocky Mountain States (except Colorado) and Great Plains States.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:01 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,042,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Well when Obama says during a edited interview....."MY MUSLIM FAITH, I MEAN MY CHRISTIAN FAITH." What do you expect? The south always votes conservative, just like 97% of blacks who will vote for Obama are not simply voting for him because he is black. Yep 97% folks! Race in, race out, works both ways.
Aha! And I'll bet if that's what he actually said, a lot more people would be turned off, just like you!

My God, do you Pubs ever let go of your erroneous urban legends?

Old 09-30-2008, 08:03 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,422,752 times
Quote:
The South.
I've looked at the locations and the names of some of the more rabid anti Obama people [Mod edited] and I wonder, why is that?
I have my opinion (realistically it's like asking, geez what is 2 plus 2), but I just want to hear others.
What an asinine assumption. Do you have numbers to back that up?

Old 09-30-2008, 08:13 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,536,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
What an asinine assumption. Do you have numbers to back that up?
I'm not talking everyone in the US, and honestly, 2/3 of those that I have looked at on this forum (ok, at least 1/2 anyway) are from.....Southern States. Those posters that have their states and/or cities listed on their posts.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:16 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,736,370 times
Quote:
I'm not talking everyone in the US, and honestly, 2/3 of those that I have looked at on this forum (ok, at least 1/2 anyway) are from.....Southern States. Those posters that have their states and/or cities listed on their posts.
There's at least as much racism up north as there is in the south.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:16 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,615,990 times
Quote:
And have these Southern states your referring to have a pattern of voting Republican in 2004, 2000, 1996, 1992, 1988, 1984, etc.? Why is it unusual for them to vote Republican again in 2008?

Old 09-30-2008, 08:19 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,042,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
There's at least as much racism up north as there is in the south.
No there isn't. Trust me. There isn't.

What MonaLisaVito pointed out is sound and solid--the red states have always been red, with white Democratic candidates running each time. But to this particular comment, no, I'm sorry. There is nowhere near as much racism "up north" as there is in the south.

In isolated pockets? In cities? (People always seem to bring up Detroit.) Yes. In EVERY city. The city psychology is one of automatic defensiveness because there's much less personal room and therefore people segregate themselves into groups in order to maintain an identity in the midst of millions. That's a given. This unfortunately creates a "I love mine--so yours must be wrong" mentality from all sides.

But peppered throughout communities, suburbs and all that? Nope. No way.

Sorry.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:22 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,736,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No there isn't. Trust me. There isn't.

What MonaLisaVito pointed out is sound and solid--the red states have always been red, with white Democratic candidates running each time. But to this particular comment, no, I'm sorry. There is nowhere near as much racism "up north" as there is in the south.

In isolated pockets? In cities? (People always seem to bring up Detroit.) Yes. In EVERY city. The city psychology is one of automatic defensiveness because there's much less personal room and therefore people segregate themselves into groups in order to maintain an identity in the midst of millions. That's a given. This unfortunately creates a "I love mine--so yours must be wrong" mentality from all sides.

But peppered throughout communities, suburbs and all that? Nope. No way.

Sorry.
There is a lot of racism up north. Nowhere near as much? Do we have some kind of meter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections