Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:45 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,881,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
A little off-topic but.....

One of many articles here:
Federal Refusal of Hurricane Aid Outrages Louisiana Governor | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (http://www.citizensforethics.org/node/28061 - broken link)

The USA did not accept most of the aid offered for political reasons.

See the Wiki page...International response to Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
...."When other countries offered the United States $854 million in cash and oil as foreign aid to help the areas devastated by Hurricane Katrina, they merely accepted 4.7% of the total aid offered, the rest went uncollected. There is no reason for not accepting the available resources, other than that aid is a political tool. The United States wanted to avoid the political influence aid has on the policies of the recipient nation."
Interesting. Thank you for the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 12:19 PM

442 posts, read 791,328 times
Quote:
If USA wants to have a say in the world's politics and be taken seriously as a major player, then it needs to heed others' opinions.

If the USA just keeps itself to itself, then fine, no-one else need care.

But you can't have it both ways.
http://i.travelmail.co.uk/i/pix/tm/2008/03/iranMOS0703_428x269.jpg (broken link)
http://media.washingtontimes.com/media/img/photos/2008/02/29/WT200810094761181AR.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-29-2008, 12:22 PM

503 posts, read 938,288 times
Quote:
...in Australia

ALMOST three-quarters of Australians want Barack Obama to win the US presidential election while only 16 per cent back John McCain, the latest snapshot of Australian attitudes to a range of foreign policy issues shows.

Obama wins by a landslide - in Australia - National - smh.com.au

Obama win preferred in world poll
BBC NEWS | Americas | Obama win preferred in world poll

Good, I wish he would go live there, if they want him they can have him. They prop. need alot of community organizing.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:25 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,931,188 times
i say let obama be declared the leader of the rest of the world, and i am fine with that.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i say let obama be declared the leader of the rest of the world, and i am fine with that.

Oh that would be smart, talk about the anti-christ. No wonder this country is in the trouble it is in.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:42 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,981,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Who gives a CRAP about Australia!!! The AMERICAN people matter here NOT Australia, Germany,England,France or any other country. Man you liberals have it backward. The rest of the world should emulate America, not the other way around. We are still the greatest Country on the planet.
What an arrogant, insular and ethnocentric response. It seems some Americans are SO insecure they must hold up their "we're the best! we're the best!" mentality as a security blanket against the fact that in addition to the good we do, America IS fallible. America has made HUGE mistakes. America just MIGHT make another huge mistake in November by electing McCain.

Despite what this poster thinks, the rest of the world DOES matter. We rely on them, they rely on us. It's shockingly ignorant to think otherwise.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:43 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,497,027 times
you sound surprised? 10 trillion in 8 years, what did you expect the american public to do with GOP/DOD war machine, reward them again?
obama 08

Old 09-29-2008, 12:47 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,065,940 times
This same poll was also conducted in the USA...

"The US public was polled separately and Americans also believe an Obama presidency would improve US relations with the world more than a McCain presidency, with 46 percent of Americans expecting relations to be improved with Obama’s election and 30 percent with McCain’s."

BBC NEWS | Americas | Obama win preferred in world poll

Old 09-29-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
What an arrogant, insular and ethnocentric response. It seems some Americans are SO insecure they must hold up their "we're the best! we're the best!" mentality as a security blanket against the fact that in addition to the good we do, America IS fallible. America has made HUGE mistakes. America just MIGHT make another huge mistake in November by electing McCain.

Despite what this poster thinks, the rest of the world DOES matter. We rely on them, they rely on us. It's shockingly ignorant to think otherwise.

I know I dont give a crap what Australia thinks. I am picking a president for America, the best country in the world, not a "MESSIAH" for the rest of the world. Stop putting down America, you wonder why the world does not like us, it s because of bid mouths who do nothing but complain about America. I would rather vote for a man who fought for this county, rather than one who sat in Chicago and organized marches against it.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:52 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,981,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
You folks are idiots. Do you honestly think that the countries around us has their best interest on America?
Believe it or not, yes. The well-being of America and the ECONOMY of America has a huge effect on other countries around the world.

If I was another country, I would vote for the worst candidate to bring down America so my country will be the superpower.
Well it's a good thing you're not another country.

The stupidity of Americans are unbelievable. Vote for the track record not promises. Do your research before voting and vote intelligently and not based on promises.
YOU'RE talking about the stupidity of Americans? funny.
So I assume you would like us to vote for someone with a track record like McCain - someone who bought himself the nomination by reversing ALL of his positions to align with the Bush administration? Is THAT a candidate we can trust? How about a candidate that makes snap judgement, has anger management problems and chose probably the least qualified VP candidate in US history?
That sounds like GREAT judgement!
Maybe you should re-think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections