Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:55 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,887,287 times

Advertisements

I was sent this story and thought it interesting. seems in line with other stories that have surfaced. I thought I would share it.

By ANASUYA DUBEY
It was just before John McCain's last run at the presidential nomination in
2000 that my husband and I vacationed in Turtle Island in Fiji with John McCain, Cindy, and their children, including Bridget (their adopted Bangladeshi child).
It was not our intention, but it was our misfortune to be in close quarters
with John McCain for almost a week since Turtle Island has a small number of bungalows and their focus on communal meals force all vacationers who are there at the same time to get to know each other intimately.
He arrived at our first group meal and started reading quotes from a pile of William Faulkner books with a forest of Post-Its sticking out of them. As an
English Literature major myself, my first thought was "if he likes this so much, why hasn't he memorized any of this yet?" I soon realized that McCain actually thought we had come on vacation to be a volunteer audience for his "readings" which then became a regular part of each meal.
Out of politeness, none of the vacationers initially protested at this intrusion into their blissful holiday, but people's buttons definitely got pushed as the readings continued day after day.
Unfortunately this was not his only contribution to our mealtime entertainment. He waxed on during one meal about how Indo-Chinese women had the best figures and that our American corn-fed women just couldn't meet up to this standard. He also made it a point that all of us should stop Cindy from having dessert as her weight was too high and made a few comments to Amy, the 25 year old wife of the honeymooning couple from Nebraska that she should eat less as she needed to lose weight.
McCain's appreciation of the beauty of Asian women was so great that David the American economist had to move his Thai wife to the other side of the table from McCain as McCain kept aggressively flirting with and touching her.
Needless to say I was irritated at his large ego, and his rude behavior
towards his wife and other women, but decided he must have some redeeming qualities as he had adopted a handicapped child from Bangladesh. I asked him about this one day and his response was shocking -"Oh, that was Cindy's idea - I didn't have anything to do with it. She just went and adopted this thing without even asking me. You can't imagine how people stare when I wheel this ugly, black thing around in a shopping cart in Arizona. No, it wasn't my idea at all."
I actively avoided McCain after that, but unfortunately one day he engaged
me in a political discussion which soon got us on the topic of the active US
bombing of Iraq at that time. I was shocked when he said "if I was in charge, I would nuke Iraq to teach them a lesson". Given McCain's personal experience with the horrors of war I had expected a more balanced point of view. I commented on the tragic consequences of the nuclear attacks on Japan during WWII - but no, he was not to be dissuaded. He went on to say that if it was up to him he would have dropped many more nuclear bombs on Japan. I rapidly extricated myself from this conversation as I could tell that his experience being tortured as a POW
didn't seem to have mellowed out his perspective but rather had made him more
aggressive, and vengeful towards the world.
My final encounter with McCain was on the morning that he was leaving
Turtle Island. Amy and I were happily eating pancakes when McCain arrived and told Amy that she shouldn't be having pancakes because she needed to lose weight. Amy burst into tears at this abusive comment. I felt fiercely protective of Amy and immediately turned to McCain and told him to leave her alone. He became very angry and abusive towards me, and said "don't you know who I am" and I looked him in the face and said "yes, you are the biggest ******* I have ever met" and headed back to my cabin.
I am happy to say that later that day when I arrived at lunch I was given a
standing ovation by all the guests for having stood up to McCain's bullying.
Although I have shared my McCain story informally with friends, this is the first time I am making this public. I almost did so in 2000, when McCain first announced his bid for the Republican nomination but it soon became apparent that George Bush was the shoo-in candidate and so I did not act then. However, now that there is a very real possibility that McCain could be elected as our next president, I feel it is my duty as an American citizen to share this story. I can't imagine a more scary outcome for America than that this abusive, aggressive man should lead our nation. I have observed him in intimate surroundings as he really is, not how the media portrays him to be. If his attitudes toward women, and his treatment of his own family are even a small indicator of his real personality, then I shudder to think what will happen to America were he to be elected as our President.

Anasuya Dubey is a clinical psychologist in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 09:21 PM

550 posts, read 1,236,841 times
McCain is a racist. This story only support that fact.

Last edited by kidcanaduh; 09-30-2008 at 09:37 PM..

Old 10-01-2008, 07:07 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,320,906 times
Interesting that they were discussing the "active bombing" of Iraq in 2000, before it even happened. Do you even read the stuff you post? No wonder the best job you can dredge up is "Real Estate Agent". Further proof that liberals and their ilk believe anything shown to them; they are incapable of comprehending the most basic of fiction, let alone reality.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:19 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,738,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
Interesting that they were discussing the "active bombing" of Iraq in 2000, before it even happened. Do you even read the stuff you post? No wonder the best job you can dredge up is "Real Estate Agent". Further proof that liberals and their ilk believe anything shown to them; they are incapable of comprehending the most basic of fiction, let alone reality.
Actually he's a clinical pyschologist if you bothered to read to the end. Choose not to believe the story if you please, but attacking the messenger is bad form.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Actually he's a clinical pyschologist if you bothered to read to the end. Choose not to believe the story if you please, but attacking the messenger is bad form.
I guess its bad form to point out that the article also states "I was vacationing with my husband.." Maybe "he" is a "she". Did you read it?

Old 10-01-2008, 07:40 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,666,564 times
Quote:
We were actively bombing Iraq (Operation Desert Fox) in 1998.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:41 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,851,909 times
I dont' know that I believe this letter. I'd like to, but I just can't.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:43 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,858,356 times
I checked Snopes.com and it says inconclusive, they are actively researching.....

shelly

Old 10-01-2008, 07:45 AM

351 posts, read 488,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
Do you remember Operation Desert Fox? It wasn't in 2000 but it was in the late 90's (1998 I think). I also know that the UK was bombing Iraq during that period also.

That may be the reference.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:45 AM

I guess its also bad form to point out that Turtle Island is a couples-only resort, and that their daughter would have been about 9 then - a little old for a shopping cart.

A quick Google search reveals that this is a HOAX. Two options: Either the OP knew it was a hoax, and posted it anyway in an pathetic attempt to discredit McCain and drum up support for Obama, or believed it on faith, without even checking the facts of an article he/she posted, which is even worse. I bet the latter.

Either way, it says more about the OP than it does about McCain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections