Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:51 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,267,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
I don't think he had any choice.

Especially since McCain/Palin have gone negative with their endless 'guilt by association' speaches and tv ads. At least Obama is merely playing clips from that historical event, showing modern voters how corrupt McCain was back then, and inferring that he still is a disaster when it comes to issues of the economy.

Do I wish both candidates would just stick to the issues - YES...

But if one side goes completely negative for the last month of the campaign, what can the other side do?
Honestly, I don't buy into this "guilt by association" stuff. In my personal life, I choose who I associate with, and if I associate with people who are of unethical, criminal or otherwise questionable background, than I am going to be judged by the company I keep. And most likely, I am keeping that company for a reason, not because I just want to have to defend myself.

That being said, Obama is NOT "guilty" by association, but rather just plain guilty. He chose to associate with Ayers, Reverend Wright, the Acorn group and other highly questionable individuals, and therefore, he made choices in his life that now, in running for President of the United States, he must be made to answer for.

These are not just pick pockets or minor shoplifters he has chosen to associate with in his life, but rather some very devious and evil people who have no remorse for their actions. He CHOSE to associate with them, and now he must be made to defend his decisions. It's something every President elect should be made to do. I believe in the Keating 5 response that Obama is using, court hearings have occurred yeats ago, sentences were handed out, and the issue was aleady "Answered" in courts of law.

Obama has NOt answered for anything, probably because he has not had to face it from anyone, as the media constantaly coddles him.

If the Keating 5 answer isn't a desperate attempt to distract from associations that Obama needs to answer, I don't know what is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 06:54 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,022,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I'm not happy about this.
IMHO, there are so many other reasons to vote for Obama, and it tarnishes his claim to be a different kind of candidate.
I agree, wish we could avoid the "silly season" as they call the last few weeks before an election. But, sadly, it's become a fact of life. There are voters who want a POTUS that is willing to get into a scrap or two. I guess the idea is it's better to have a few bits of tarnish than to remained untouched--and as a result, unelected.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:08 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,959,019 times
This thread is an example of the two American cultures response to conflict. One wants Obama to “rise above this sort of thing” by ignoring the bully’s taunts and the other wants Obama to fight back. The first response of ignoring the insults is what cost John Kerry the last election. His Puritan/Quaker culture abhors conflict and shuns anyone that starts fights or fights back. I was appalled when Kerry did not respond to the Swift boat liars with an all out attack on their credibility. Obama cannot afford to do the same.

I want Obama to not only fight back but fight back with a fury that destroys the McCain/Palin bid for president by exposing all of the crooked and corrupt dealings from McCain’s deals with his Vietnamese captors to Palin’s deals with the Alaska energy barons. By fighting back ruthlessly and relentlessly during and after the campaign Obama will establish that he is willing to fight not only for his election but for himself and, by example, the rest of us. Politics is not a sport for gentlemen. It is not a sport at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections