Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 06:04 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,981 times

Advertisements

What terrible timing for a statement that 'the fundamentals of the economy are strong' - McCain uttered these words just days ago - at the very start of the latest economic crisis on Wall Street.

I don't see this crisis ending anytime soon - residential real estate won't bottom out for at least a year, and we haven't even begun to see the commercial real estate bubble bursting.

The "No Regulation" Republicans couldn't have more egg on their face than they do. And McCain, 'Mr Deregulation', is one of their leading egg heads...

I think by November we will surely be in a deep recession - and the chances of McCain winning the White House will be low...

Who would trust a Republican to right the economy???

One would have to have amnesia around the past 7.5 years for anyone to be that dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 06:35 AM

194 posts, read 408,451 times
Tell us why you think Reid, Pelosi & Obama can fix the economy.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Political amnesia is a chronic disease in the American electorate. Many people only remember the last thing said or promised and they do not want to hear about hard times a’commin. The Republicans are selling the sizzle and dare not say that all the smoke is just sauce on the barbeque because the chops have already been stolen.
Telling the electorate the truth will not get you elected. Telling them that the economic fundamentals are fine and the god is on our side just, unfortunately, might.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendale View Post
Tell us why you think Reid, Pelosi & Obama can fix the economy.
Because I can't imagine anyone being worse at fiscal conservative and managing the economy than Bush/Cheney and the current generation of Republicans in Congress. They deregulated everything with reckless abandon, and skewed tax cuts to business and the rich.

The situation will eventually sort itself out - but only after the typical American sees their net worth dip significantly.

I think by the time Obama takes office, there will be so much outrage at the Republicans that they won't be able to fillibuster and put up roadblocks to Democratic initiatives.

I think Obama will bring transparency and regulation to the derivatives market, will help homeowners at risk of foreclosure, and will shift some of the tax burden off the middle class and onto the rich (this will increase spending - and since we are a consumption-based economy this will help lift us out of recession).

Old 09-18-2008, 07:40 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,688,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Political amnesia is a chronic disease in the American electorate. Many people only remember the last thing said or promised and they do not want to hear about hard times a’commin. The Republicans are selling the sizzle and dare not say that all the smoke is just sauce on the barbeque because the chops have already been stolen.
Telling the electorate the truth will not get you elected. Telling them that the economic fundamentals are fine and the god is on our side just, unfortunately, might.
Based on the results of the past 8 years, the election should have been over by now but polls indicate things are close. It is simply amazing that McCain is running as an "outsider" while voting with Bush 90% of the time and after being in the Senate for decades. While the Democrats blame Bush, they too refuse to accept that they could not accomplish many of the things that they promised when they were elected as a majority the last time, and they ignore their core base. The parties are so strongly divided that neither is listening much to the other side anyway. It is a few independents that may end up making the difference.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:44 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,291,138 times
Didn't you hear? He was against regulation... before he was for it. He is changing his mind because we are "in a crisis" (but then again, the fundamentals of our economy are strong?). I guess it is OK to do the wrong thing until it gets you into the crisis, and then reverse course. No wonder why he said he doesn't know much about the economy.

flip.
flop.
flip.
flop.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Didn't you hear? He was against regulation... before he was for it. He is changing his mind because we are "in a crisis" (but then again, the fundamentals of our economy are strong?). I guess it is OK to do the wrong thing until it gets you into the crisis, and then reverse course. No wonder why he said he doesn't know much about the economy.

flip.
flop.
flip.
flop.

McCain used to refer to himself as 'Mr Deregulation' - he can't flip-flop out of his history...

I doubt anyone other than the core Republican base believe in his ability to manage the economy or set us on the right course.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:01 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,688,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post

flip.
flop.
flip.
flop.
On Economy, it appears that McCain is much more out of his league than Obama. Now, if elected and something happens to McCain, do you think Palin would be able to handle a crisis as this (better than Biden)?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:14 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
What terrible timing for a statement that 'the fundamentals of the economy are strong' - McCain uttered these words just days ago - at the very start of the latest economic crisis on Wall Street.

I don't see this crisis ending anytime soon - residential real estate won't bottom out for at least a year, and we haven't even begun to see the commercial real estate bubble bursting.

The "No Regulation" Republicans couldn't have more egg on their face than they do. And McCain, 'Mr Deregulation', is one of their leading egg heads...

I think by November we will surely be in a deep recession - and the chances of McCain winning the White House will be low...

Who would trust a Republican to right the economy???

One would have to have amnesia around the past 7.5 years for anyone to be that dumb.

Well since you live on Mars I can see how you would not understand what he was saying. Next trip to Earth buy a dictionary and look up the definition of Fundamental. It might help you understand what he was saying.

Plus, why does it matter to you? You can't vote on Earth anyway.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Well since you live on Mars I can see how you would not understand what he was saying. Next trip to Earth buy a dictionary and look up the definition of Fundamental. It might help you understand what he was saying.

Plus, why does it matter to you? You can't vote on Earth anyway.

Hey, I have the intelligence necessary to make interplanetary travel possible - do you???

Besides, I studied and got a degree from your Cornell University... so I understand the fundamentals of your economy...

Today, I doubt if anyone other than George Bush, John McCain, Henry Paulson, or their inner-circle of advisors would dare claim that 'the fundamentals of the economy are strong'.

Unemployment is at 6.1% and rising ( and most realize the number is cooked towards the low side)

Real wages have not increased since 2001.

Residential Real Estate has another year (or more) before reaching bottom

Commercial Real Estate should start really tanking in the spring.

The financial crisis we are in has at least a couple of years to run - deleveraging balance sheets takes time..

National Debt has doubled in 8 years...

The US has many TRILLIONS in underfunded liabilities (Social Security, Medicare...)

More and More people cannot afford to go to college...

Just a few fundamentals that are solidly in the crapper...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections