Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:40 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,905,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
...the economists’ endorsement (not to be confused with The Economist’s, they have yet to make one) was only with respect to the general ideas of McCain’s plan. As the article states, economists only signed onto a 403 word statement, which did not mention all the specific proposals outlined in McCain’s more detailed “Jobs for America” plan. If anything this endorsement is only illustrative of the much encountered situation, “I agree with you in principle, but…”
Economists Support McCain — Martin+Economics (http://www.martineconomics.com/index.php/2008/07/22/economists-support-mccain/ - broken link)

Quote:
I disagree with calling this an “overwhelming endorsement” by economists of Senator McCain’s plan. There are approximately 900 economists produced by American universities every year. The list represents (making reasonable assumptions about career length) maybe 1% of all economists. I think most economists would agree that it is not ridiculous to estimate that 1% of all economists are also Marxists. That doesn’t make it an “overwhelming endorsement” of communism. Needless to say, Senator Obama has accumulated an impressive list of economist endorsements himself. (see Economists for Obama)
Quote:
"Upon closer inspection, it seems a good many of those economists don't actually support the whole of McCain's economic agenda. And at least one doesn't even support McCain for president."
And you've seen this already Informed:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 01:52 PM

89,090 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
And you've seen this already Informed:
Yes, I've seen that chart. It summarizes the responses to a survey of 142 economists, whereas 530 economists have already endorsed McCain's economic plan.

How many economists have endorsed Obama's economic plan?

Old 10-07-2008, 01:55 PM

5 posts, read 46,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
wow, the people who are for Mccain think Lehman Bros, Goldman Sachs and other international bank failures are from poor people who cant afford to pay their small mortgages?.

Keep drinking the pablum. McSame wants you to stay dumb and stupid.
I couldn't agree more. The People need to realize, something that they cant figure it out for the last 8 years, that the economy was set to be as it is right now due to the unecessary war to Iraq. On top of that, look at all of these greedy CEOs...receiving bonuses over $8M. (e.g. Former Lehman Brothers CEO got a $106M Salary, including a last year bonus of $20M!!! knowing that the company was heading south). Merryl Lynch last year's Bonus was averaged at $100,000 per employee...and look what happened to it. This is ridiculous!. Republicans always destroy the economy...Democrats at least maintain the economy at a stable condition...but never below average and that is in Past History. And I agree with you...the McCain believers should keep drinking the pablum.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:04 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,905,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, I've seen that chart. It summarizes the responses to a survey of 142 economists, whereas 530 economists have already endorsed McCain's economic plan.

How many economists have endorsed Obama's economic plan?
There is a link to:
Economists for Obama: The List: Obama's Economists

In my previous post. That page lists some of Obama's endorsements by economists.

And again, speaking of the economists in support of McCain:
Quote:
There are approximately 900 economists produced by American universities every year...The list represents maybe 1% of all economists.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:08 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,831,483 times
Dow just closed with a 500 pt loss. Will McCain try to ignore the economy this evening?

Old 10-07-2008, 02:11 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,574,961 times
Default **** It's the economy stupid ****

The problem is that the GOP cannot discuss the economy. The current crisi is 999% their doing. They want to avoid that hot potato at all costs.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:18 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,034,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
wow, the people who are for Mccain think Lehman Bros, Goldman Sachs and other international bank failures are from poor people who cant afford to pay their small mortgages?.

Keep drinking the pablum. McSame wants you to stay dumb and stupid.
Ahhhh, another lib that thinks he is smarter than the dullards on the right.

This situation was a long time coming and the root cause is indeed loaning poor people money.

Maxine Waters a true lib brain trust has a few good vids out now explaining how wonderful it is to loan money to people that don't have a pot to pee in. Start there then keep looking. I'm sure it's fun to think everyone is a dumb-dumb, but if you are as smart as you think you are you must value truth and reality on some level.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:21 PM

89,090 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
There is a link to:
Economists for Obama: The List: Obama's Economists

In my previous post. That page lists some of Obama's endorsements by economists.
OK. Obama's economic plan has the endorsement of 26 economists on that page and let's also count 80% of the 142 economists responding to The Economist's survey; McCain's economic plan has the endorsement of 530 economists.

Obama - 140
McCain - 530

Old 10-07-2008, 02:26 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,928,226 times
it will be interesting to see if obama will still be floating his economic plan in light of today's developments.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:29 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,913,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The problem is that the GOP cannot discuss the economy. The current crisi is 999% their doing. They want to avoid that hot potato at all costs.
I sorta agree with the earlier fella who stated..Is it the fault of dem.or rep. or is it that american free market coupled with american greed will be the demise of america?? are we getting what we deserve? are we what they say we are....scary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections