Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:18 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
I'm listening to NPR right now and they are talking about how much health insurance costs (if you can get approved)... $12,000/year! Holy crap. Why bother? You may as well roll the dice and hope you don't get sick or injured.
So much for a $5000 tax break in McCain's plan! I would figure about $12000/year; more for a family.

So many people wouldn't be approved because with private insurance, they can turn you down for just about anything, so we'd have MORE people without health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 02:58 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
A senior citizen? Not quite. It's possible to go to school part time year round and finish in your mid-20's. I know this from experience.
And WORKING part-time would be enough to cover your living expenses and pay your tuition outright??? I don't think so.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:47 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
And WORKING part-time would be enough to cover your living expenses and pay your tuition outright??? I don't think so.
It depends on how you do it. If you decide to live at home (if that is an option), if you decide to go to a local university instead going out of state or ivy league, if you decide to work two jobs every summer get every hour you can during winter and spring breaks as opposed to going to cancun, if you don't join a frat/soro, if you don't wrack up cc debt, if you are willing to live on ramen drive a beater car and basically delay your gratification until after you graduate --degree in hand.

It can be done, it has been done and it is being done. It would be great if it were free --- but just where is that money going to come from? The government is in debt past its eyeballs, now is the time for americans to make some sacrifices.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:07 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Businesses will go where they can get the most profit, but why should the government make it any easier for them to do it? Why not impose tariffs on companies who outsource more then 35% of its employees? Or 20%, or 10%? Why give them a free ride plus the potential for bailout money if they should crash? My dhs industry routinely uses IT guys in India.....and the ridiculousness of it is that while the company is saving money in the very short term, the outsourcing causes more troubles then its worth. The time difference, refusal on the Indians part to take initiative when a problem arises (I believe that would be a cultural difference). At anyrate, one of our dear leaders needs to address this problem, as it is not going to go away due to big businesses patriotism. The middle class is in decline, and I would hate like hell that my children will not be able to aspire to my standard of living.
Having the freedom to shout obscenities is not democracy, but having a real voice is. People have a voice but it is much softer than the voices of companies who sponsor both sides. I agree with your sentiment though.

I for one am doing things within my control. I take a very strong interest in my kids studies, save for their education, make sure they understand the importance of subjects like science and maths, etc. They also understand that they will be competing in a global economy and need to work hard. All this hopefully will improve their chances later on.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:16 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
Good grief! You act like nobody with a poor background has ever gone to college before!

To make it work, you live with your parent(s)/family members as long as possible to save money. If that's not an option, you rent a cheap place off campus and get as many roommates as possible. You get student loans to cover the gaps. You drive a beater. You don't eat out. You don't spend money on anything that is not an absolute necessity. You tutor underclassmen. Some even sell any bodily fluid they can! Anyone who is sufficiently motivated can make it work.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:30 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Good grief! You act like nobody with a poor background has ever gone to college before!

To make it work, you live with your parent(s)/family members as long as possible to save money. If that's not an option, you rent a cheap place off campus and get as many roommates as possible. You get student loans to cover the gaps. You drive a beater. You don't eat out. You don't spend money on anything that is not an absolute necessity. You tutor underclassmen. Some even sell any bodily fluid they can! Anyone who is sufficiently motivated can make it work.

You clearly didn't read the thread. OBVIOUSLY people with poor backgrounds go to college - and student loans are a big part of that. We are talking about getting a college education without loans - or "living within your means."

Last edited by KLDanford; 10-08-2008 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections