Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:22 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,443,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
That's only if you can get an answer from Palin at all. She might want to talk about energy instead.
Exactly my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 04:27 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Senator Obama...in the last debate you wore a bracelet that belonged to a military veteran of Iraq, even though the family that gave you that bracelet asked you not to wear it or use it for political purposes. Why then, did you go against this military families wishes on national television and do just that?

Thank you in advance for your answer Senator Obama.

Gee, I guess the rest of the world hasn't gotten the true story yet. Here in Wisconsin heard this right away so I thought you all had. From the newspaper story about this:

MILWAUKEE — The mother of a Wisconsin soldier who died in Iraq says she was "ecstatic" when Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama mentioned during Friday's debate the bracelet she gave him in honor of her son.

Tracy Jopek of Merrill told The Associated Press on Sunday she was honored that Obama remembered Sgt. Ryan David Jopek, who was killed in 2006 by a roadside bomb.

Jopek criticized Internet reports suggesting Obama, D-Ill., exploited her son for political purposes.

"I don't understand how people can take that and turn it into some garbage on the Internet," she said.

Jopek acknowledged e-mailing the Obama campaign in February asking that the presidential candidate not mention her son in speeches or debates. But she said Obama's mention on Friday was appropriate because he was responding after Sen. John McCain, the Republican nominee, said a soldier's mother gave him a bracelet.

"I've got a bracelet, too, from Sergeant _ from the mother of Sergeant Ryan David Jopek, given to me in Green Bay," Obama said during the debate. "She asked me, 'Can you please make sure another mother is not going through what I'm going through?' No U.S. soldier ever dies in vain because they're carrying out the missions of their commander in chief. And we honor all the service that they've provided."

Jopek says Obama's comment rightfully suggested there's more than one viewpoint on the war.

She wouldn't directly say whether she wanted Obama to refrain from mentioning the bracelet again, but said she hopes the issue will just go away.

"I think these bracelets should be looked upon as an honor that both candidates wear them to respect the troops," Jopek said. "My request to both of them is that they honor the troops by lifting the conversation to the issues, and that they continue to live up to the standards our military deserves."

Old 10-07-2008, 04:34 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,237,321 times
This isn't really a question I'd like to hear, but more so something coming from John McCain. He should turn to Obama and tell him that he owes our troops and their families an apology for saying that "They're air raiding villages and killing civilians".

Because frankly he does owe this apology for making that remark, he doesn't have to support the war, but those troops are just doing their job. And those troops that he claims are raiding villages and killing civilians sure have a heck of a lot more respect and love for this country then he will ever have.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:42 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,630,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Gee, I guess the rest of the world hasn't gotten the true story yet. Here in Wisconsin heard this right away so I thought you all had. From the newspaper story about this:

MILWAUKEE — The mother of a Wisconsin soldier who died in Iraq says she was "ecstatic" when Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama mentioned during Friday's debate the bracelet she gave him in honor of her son.

Tracy Jopek of Merrill told The Associated Press on Sunday she was honored that Obama remembered Sgt. Ryan David Jopek, who was killed in 2006 by a roadside bomb.

Jopek criticized Internet reports suggesting Obama, D-Ill., exploited her son for political purposes.

"I don't understand how people can take that and turn it into some garbage on the Internet," she said.

Jopek acknowledged e-mailing the Obama campaign in February asking that the presidential candidate not mention her son in speeches or debates. But she said Obama's mention on Friday was appropriate because he was responding after Sen. John McCain, the Republican nominee, said a soldier's mother gave him a bracelet.

"I've got a bracelet, too, from Sergeant _ from the mother of Sergeant Ryan David Jopek, given to me in Green Bay," Obama said during the debate. "She asked me, 'Can you please make sure another mother is not going through what I'm going through?' No U.S. soldier ever dies in vain because they're carrying out the missions of their commander in chief. And we honor all the service that they've provided."

Jopek says Obama's comment rightfully suggested there's more than one viewpoint on the war.

She wouldn't directly say whether she wanted Obama to refrain from mentioning the bracelet again, but said she hopes the issue will just go away.

"I think these bracelets should be looked upon as an honor that both candidates wear them to respect the troops," Jopek said. "My request to both of them is that they honor the troops by lifting the conversation to the issues, and that they continue to live up to the standards our military deserves."

Its pure exploitation..given the facts that NObama has ZERO experience with regards to the military. This is his way of trying to convince the public that he does..

Old 10-07-2008, 04:46 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,981 times
He knows enough not to send them in harms way to a baseless war

Old 10-07-2008, 04:46 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,727,398 times
My question:
Mr. McCain, can you give us three reasons that you are better qualified to be president without including the fact that you were a POW for 5 1/2 years as one of them?

Old 10-07-2008, 04:47 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,603,956 times
What Questions would you like to hear in Tonight's Debate?

Old 10-07-2008, 04:50 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,630,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
My question:
Mr. McCain, can you give us three reasons that you are better qualified to be president without including the fact that you were a POW for 5 1/2 years as one of them?

1. More than 143 days as a senator
2. Foreign policy experience
3. didnt sit in Rev Wrights racist church for 20 years

If you need more---let me know

Old 10-07-2008, 04:52 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,727,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
1. More than 143 days as a senator
2. Foreign policy experience
3. didnt sit in Rev Wrights racist church for 20 years

If you need more---let me know
Wow, I didn't realize McCain posts on this message board. Guess there's no need to watch the debate now.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:53 PM

365 posts, read 692,621 times
Mr. Obama,
What makes you think the American's can trust you as Commander in Chief?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections