Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:50 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,042,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I think this is the shortest amount of time you've spent going from "Who cares about the national polls" to "Look at the national polls! My guy is only losing by a little!"

I think it was just a matter of hours this time.
Heh, took the words right out of my mouth. My jaw was on the floor reading this thread...wasn't this the poster saying "Who CARES about the national polls? It's the state polls that count"? Or am I mistaken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 08:51 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,080,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I think this is the shortest amount of time you've spent going from "Who cares about the national polls" to "Look at the national polls! My guy is only losing by a little!"

I think it was just a matter of hours this time.
McCain is the most loved almost there candidate of all time. He may make it by election day but this is becoming a hoot.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:51 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,046,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Heh, took the words right out of my mouth. My jaw was on the floor reading this thread...wasn't this the poster saying "Who CARES about the national polls? It's the state polls that count"? Or am I mistaken?
You're not mistaken (of course )

https://www.city-data.com/forum/5584926-post9.html

Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,755,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I really think the tweaking of party affiliation is the likely culprit in that Hotline poll. 5 points overnight just doesn't wash unless they have adjusted the sampling.

I know Rasmussen is using a 6% oversampling of democrats this week. Gallup 8-10%. CNN doesn't list how they weight the polls, which is suspicious to say the least. The CBS poll is using 9% oversampling of democrats. NBC used 8%.
Once again, sanrene there are more dems than there are republicans.

Dems 40%
Reps 38%
Ind 18%

That is the sampling the diego poll used. I also find it hard to believe that the independents in the poll gave McCain an 8 point lead on the economy.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:53 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,994,056 times
Basically, that's what I'm saying. But you guys seem to care so I thought I'd point out to you that not all the national polls are showing the same things. I mean, if you're going to post the national polls, post all of them, the good, the bad and the ugly.

I still believe that they are fudging the numbers, whether they are polls that favor obama or McCain.

What do you think caused the Hotline poll to swing 5 points overnight?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:54 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,950,930 times
Quote:
I really think the tweaking of party affiliation is the likely culprit in that Hotline poll. 5 points overnight just doesn't wash unless they have adjusted the sampling.

I know Rasmussen is using a 6% oversampling of democrats this week. Gallup 8-10%. CNN doesn't list how they weight the polls, which is suspicious to say the least. The CBS poll is using 9% oversampling of democrats. NBC used 8%.
For someone who says she doesn't care about polls, it's evident you spend a large portion of every day dissecting and studying them. More than anyone else on this forum

Old 10-07-2008, 08:54 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,042,284 times
Quote:

What do you think caused the Hotline poll to swing 5 points overnight?
Question. If you don't care, then why do you care?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Once again, sanrene there are more dems than there are republicans.

Dems 40%
Reps 38%
Ind 18%

That is the sampling the diego poll used. I also find it hard to believe that the independents in the poll gave McCain an 8 point lead on the economy.
That's my point. What was the sampling yesterday? 2% gap seems low to me.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:58 AM

I think it obvious who cares about the national polls. I'm just pointing out those polls you bots ignore. I still don't care - just doing you a favor.

Quote:
it's evident you spend a large portion of every day dissecting and studying them
Um...no. All it takes is a little bit of curiosity to actually LOOK and READ. Click, open the poll, go to the demographics. I ASSume you've never done that.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,080,669 times
Quote:
I think it obvious who cares about the national polls. I'm just pointing out those polls you bots ignore. I still don't care - just doing you a favor.

Um...no. All it takes is a little bit of curiosity to actually LOOK and READ. Click, open the poll, go to the demographics. I ASSume you've never done that.
I am a Bot and I ignore none:
FiveThirtyEight.com: Electoral Projections Done Right
Today's Polls, 10/6
Are John McCain's negative attacks succeeding in eating into some of Barack Obama's support? They certainly aren't yet. In fact, Barack Obama has had perhaps his strongest individual polling day of the year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections