Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2008, 01:59 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,852,080 times

Advertisements

I'm possibly the only person in America of my generation to never see a single episode of Gilligan's Island. But, you can't live here and not be clueless about "popular culture", and of course there's imdb! So my question is this:

If John McCain is Alan Hale-aka "The Skipper", then who is Sara Palin? Is she "Ginger" or is she "Mary Ann"? Even though I've not seen the show, I know the basic formula of how sit-coms operate. So one of them must be a bit of a "babe" and the other is probably a "dim-bulb". I don't know which is which, or are they both kind of dishy and kind of dumb too?

I'm pretty sure Rich Lowry (if you're done reading your copy of NR, please wash your hands thoroughly before returning to work) will say she's the "hot" one. But, what do real people think.

I thought of this show because (a) McCain used to be a sailor although he forgot the motto of the USNA so there should be a nautical theme to any McCain thread, and (b) if I understand the premise of the show correctly it kind of resembles his campaign; ie; a short, "fun" cruise ends up running aground!

golfgod

Let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 02:00 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,727,398 times
Actually Ginger was the hot and dumb one. Ginger=Sarah.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:35 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times
The Skipper would be Bush. He's the one who ran the ship aground. His "little buddy" is McCain. He does 95% of the things the Skipper tells him, and he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Ginger=Palin, of course, because she's the sexy one. Plus, Ginger talks about the Hollywood movie star wolves, Palin talks about Alaskan wolves... either way, they like to shoot 'em down. And they both wink a lot.

Obama is the Professor. I guess that makes Michelle Mary Ann, since she always seems to get paired up with the Professor.

The Howells? I guess they'd represent the American voters. We used to have a lot of money, but now we've run aground.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:41 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
When the boat ran aground, Sarah Pallin, the Skipper, was piloting it. Always running around hysterical, too, if you remember the Skipper. But protective of Gilligan, like Palain is protective over McCain. McCain was Gilligan who was endearing at first, then got on every one's nerves with his stupid "pranks."
Mr. and Mrs. Howell were any rich republicans you could find. Ginger was a republican pundit, you know the one on CNN with the neat looking glasses. Mary Anne was Condy. Rice, kinda sweet, but never got much done.
The scientist was Paulson who had to keep experimenting in his lab till he found out what to do to get our economy better even though we are still shiprocked.
The savages who came to the island looking for heads are the Bushes. Not only savage, but uneducated and willing to do whatever to keep their "belly's full." The savages who showed up eventually got off the island, but not of their own accord. They were pushed off (Bush's final day) and the rest of them lived happily ever after.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:52 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,602,502 times
Palin is Gilligan, after the operation.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:54 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,852,080 times
Good gosh this thread is turning into more fun than even I imagined. Maybe some of us should get together (online) and write a screenplay, do some reheasals, put up a stage and put on a play. We might even become as famous as the "Capitol Steps" or (if you're as old as me and rememer the '60s) "McBird".

Barring that maybe I'll see about putting the show on my netflix queue, AFTER THE ELECTION. Right now I'm too busy to watch the movies that are sitting on the table.

Keep them coming.

golfgod

Old 10-15-2008, 03:01 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,602,502 times
Skipper=McCain (but he is secretely sabotaging the goal to get off the island. He loves the power and knows he won't have it once they are rescued.
Gilligan=Palin (his secret little buddy who does have a secret to tell)
Ginger=Cindy ( yep, he's cheating on her-so, what else is new?)
Mary Ann= Carol (McCain's first wife. She came along hoping for something)
The Professor= Gilligan's (Palin's) hockey stud
Mr and Mrs Howell= Of course, George and Laura (no longer in charge. George feels better there are no cars on the island. That way Laura can't drive.)

Old 10-15-2008, 03:18 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Palin is Gilligan, after the operation.
Oh my! Lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections