Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:41 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,939 times

Advertisements

Was anyone else appalled by McCain's sarcastic, sneering use of air quotes during the debate, when discussing the mother's health regarding late-term abortions? (actual air quotes occur at about 1:30 time stamp in video below)

YouTube - John McCain: Mother's Health A Position Pro-Abortion Extremists Take

The man is disgusting. Truly disgusting. I have a feeling he may have pushed a multitude of female undecideds and independents away with that ridiculous, mocking statement. What a chauvinistic a**.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 05:49 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Was anyone else appalled by McCain's sarcastic, sneering use of air quotes during the debate, when discussing the mother's health regarding late-term abortions? (actual air quotes occur at about 1:30 time stamp in video below)

The man is disgusting. Truly disgusting. I have a feeling he may have pushed a multitude of female undecideds and independents away with that ridiculous, mocking statement. What a chauvinistic a**.
With that comment and the ill explained from-the-military-to-the-classroom comment independent women will hopefully keep moving away from McCain. This is purely anecdotal, but my sister who teaches the 8th grade in a rural Midwest community said that the latter comment was all the the talk today among teachers she works with. In fact, two lifetime Republican teachers said that they won't vote for McCain now because of that comment. They aren't necessarily going to vote for Obama, but they are definitely not voting for McCain, whom they felt disparaged their education and work as teachers.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:54 PM

184 posts, read 676,344 times
I feel like the McCain/Palin ticket is all about making women second class citizens.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:58 PM

184 posts, read 676,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
With that comment and the ill explained from-the-military-to-the-classroom comment independent women will hopefully keep moving away from McCain. This is purely anecdotal, but my sister who teaches the 8th grade in a rural Midwest community said that the latter comment was all the the talk today among teachers she works with. In fact, two lifetime Republican teachers said that they won't vote for McCain now because of that comment. They aren't necessarily going to vote for Obama, but they are definitely not voting for McCain, whom they felt disparaged their education and work as teachers.
I'd have to agree. That military to the classroom idea is very disrespectful towards those who paid to go to school to actually learn how to be a teacher. Furthermore I'm not sure if it would be good for children to be around anyone who is freshly returning from war.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:44 PM

35 posts, read 49,023 times
Default McCain's comments about "Health of the Mother"

I find it fascinating that this is not a "hot" topic on this particular forum. Senator McCain (a fellow veteran) stated "...He's [meaning Obama] health for the mother... That's been stretched...to mean almost anything. That's the extreme pro-abortion position, quote, 'health.'"

My wife and I gasped when those words came out of his mouth. So, we decided to do some research on our own about John McCain's voting record on women's health and women's rights.

1) He wants to overturn Roe v. Wade
2) He opposes equal pay legislation

The above samples are just two of the many positions McCain has taken which IMO show a total disregard for women's health and women's issues. McCain likes to say I have a record for this and a record for that. Well, Senator McCain does have a record of voting against women's issues (do the research).

McCain's cavalier attitude for women's health and women's issues should be a wake up call to ALL women (regardless of your position on the matter of abortion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post

Last edited by Marines4Commonsense; 10-16-2008 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: Revised

Old 10-16-2008, 06:48 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
I watched the whole thing. The comments regarding "health of a woman" and the abortion movement are true. "Health" has been bent and twisted to make anything an excuse for an abortion by them.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:57 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,964 times
Who is them. I think we all have a thoughts on the abortion issue. I do think in general McCain isn't a support for women. I know Palin doesn't represent me at all. I laughed at the teacher thing it was so silly what he was saying.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:59 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etta View Post
I feel like the McCain/Palin ticket is all about making women second class citizens.
Again I will point out a statistic that clearly shows McCain's view of women is as a decoration, and very little else.

Wife #1, wife #2, and VP choice have a common trait. ALL are former beauty contest contestants. And like beauty, it is a very shallow reason, except for very shallow people.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etta View Post
He clearly chose a 'second class' woman as his running mate.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:04 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I watched the whole thing. The comments regarding "health of a woman" and the abortion movement are true. "Health" has been bent and twisted to make anything an excuse for an abortion by them.
I'm not sure who "them" refers to. But in terms of Obama, he voted against bills that sought to undermine Roe v Wade through the backdoor. And I, for one, commend him.

"The bill would have established that infants thus defined were humans with legal rights....Because the bills accorded human rights to pre-viable fetuses (that is, fetuses that could not live outside the womb) as long as they showed some vital signs outside the mother, abortion-rights groups saw them as the thin edge of a wedge that could be used to pry apart legal rights to abortion. Obama stated this objection on the Senate floor in discussion of both bills...However, Obama has said several times that he would have supported the federal version of the bill, which passed by unanimous consent and which President Bush signed into law Aug. 5, 2002, because it could not be used to challenge the Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision granting a legal right to abortion."
FactCheck.org: Obama and 'Infanticide'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections