Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you vote the party or the person in an important election?
I always primarily consider the platform of the party. 3 12.00%
I consider both party platform and the candidate's personal qualities. 18 72.00%
I only consider the candidate's personal qualities. 2 8.00%
Other 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 12:25 PM

4,685 posts, read 8,481,065 times

Advertisements

Some voters take very seriously the ideas and principles for which each party stands, including what is each party's announced legislative agenda. Those persons see each election cycle as part of a longer term political "movement."

Other voters prefer to examine the personal qualities of each candidate as the most important basis upon which to make a voting decision. These persons might vote for a candidate from one party in one election but from a different party in the next election. Political ideologiy is less important to these voters.

There is a measure of validity to each approach. Where do you come down on this question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 12:28 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,455,867 times
I vote from whomever I feel represents my views whether it be Rep or Dem. I am not "loyal" to any party because they both have morons in them.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:29 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,472,006 times
It's a good year for me - I get to do both.

It's been tough, being a Democrat in Virginia. Fortunately, we have had an excellent Congressman (Tom Davis, a Republican), so in most elections I have at least one vote for a winner. But this year, well, I'm voting for the Democratic candidate for President, for U.S. Senator, and for the U.S. House of Representatives (Davis is retiring), and I may just be three for three this year!

Old 10-17-2008, 12:45 PM

25 posts, read 32,569 times
Issues first, followed by: the man, their record, their experience and judgement. I'm also considering who their campaign employees/surrogates are, as they many times follow the candidate to the White House. ( you know, the suck-ups- can't think of another term to use for them )

I'm independent so I don't feel this poll applies.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:53 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,963,554 times
i usually vote for my favorite candidate based upon the economic platform of that candidate since i consider the running of the country a business first. in this election i am actually voting against a candidate who i feel is trying to manipulate the country and being guided by wall street. i don't believe that wall street and main street have that much in common.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:31 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,641,256 times
Independent voting for Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections