Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 01:06 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,229,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
God lumps people together in nations? Really? You would think from his position his view would be a little broader.....

If 75% of the people in a nation are good, does he still withdraw because of the other 25%?

Does he see individuals?
The person you are responding to have never said that God lumps people together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 01:50 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,064,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
There's only one way to the Father and that's through the Son. If any religion does not believe that, then possibly there is a question about its Christianity. We don't need to know because God knows.
Now is that one of the most convoluted posts ever?

If any religion does not believe that [only way to the "Father is through the son"]then there is a question about its christianity???"

Would somebody, I don't have the time or inclination, explain to let Canine Castle that other religions, by definition, aren't Christian to begin with? Would somebody explain to this zealot, the Buddhist, Jews, Muslims, Hindu, Santeros, animist religions don't even believe in the "holy trinity," that there is no father or son in the first place?

Christian god, would you work on educating your "children," would you please get them out of the home when it comes to schooling?

Old 10-18-2008, 01:51 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,039,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
If you are a religious person, do you pray about elections? If so, have you prayed about past elections? If you have prayed about past elections, have you given God credit for having a hand in the outcome?

If you're praying that McCain wins this election and Obama wins instead, will you believe that God wanted Obama to win, or will you believe that some other force came into play. And if so, what?
I definitely believe in God but not the Judeo-Christian God. I don't think God plays a role in elections at all. That's just my belief.

I do pray but I don't really pray that Obama will win v. McCain because although I personally do have strong convictions that Obama is the right person for president, there is always the possibility--with me or with any other human being--of being wrong. So if God really did decide to sway the elections one way or another (if, in other words, I'm wrong about that too) then who am I to keep poking at Him or Her? "Oh come on come on come on, let my candidate win ANYWAY..." That may sound simplistic but it actually is the way I feel about things.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:28 PM

365 posts, read 1,254,088 times
I am a believer. But I don't know what God's role is in things like this. I find it hard to believe God cares about our elections or manipulates them one way or the other. I think God leaves that for us to decide. I don't think we can wake up the morning after the election and say it was God's will that X won or Y won. IMHO, we can just never know:

1 Corinthians 2:9 (NKJV)
“Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.â€

Old 10-18-2008, 04:03 PM

525 posts, read 1,852,702 times
Quote:
I am not a religious or Jesus freak as so many think of the Republicans. That is so inane. I am a Christian. God is in control and who wins, I believe, is whom He wants to win. If Obama wins, I think we'll be closer to the end times than ever before. Of course, that's just speculation on my part so don't blast me for it.
I agree...I am beginning to read a book about Revelations and it is amazing how many things have come true.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:01 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,119,224 times
Quote:
You'll find out all about that if you read in the Bible about Adam, Eve, and the Garden of Eden. This world will always be sinful and full of problems. Not even the most devout Christian can understand all of this but one day when we reach the Final Shores, we will know.

I agree. Hey, there are many, many, many brilliant HUMANS who could sit down and explain their field of expertise to me for hours and I STILL won't understand it. If I am not capable of understanding the mind of some mere mortals, than how can I possibly understand the mind of God? But I have faith in Him and that is enough for me.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:04 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,119,224 times
Quote:
Don't worry, LML has more reason in her little finger than most have in their whole body.
Thank you so much. I really am touched...and return the respect.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:14 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,286,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
Now is that one of the most convoluted posts ever?

If any religion does not believe that [only way to the "Father is through the son"]then there is a question about its christianity???"

Would somebody, I don't have the time or inclination, explain to let Canine Castle that other religions, by definition, aren't Christian to begin with? Would somebody explain to this zealot, the Buddhist, Jews, Muslims, Hindu, Santeros, animist religions don't even believe in the "holy trinity," that there is no father or son in the first place?

Christian god, would you work on educating your "children," would you please get them out of the home when it comes to schooling?
I know that. I said Christianity because some cults refer to themselves as Christians, but they don't believe in Jesus as God's son, et al. I wasn't trying to "cover" a gamut of religions. I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear; sometimes it's difficult on a forum and what people mean isn't always how others comprehend it.

My children are grown and out of the home already, so no need to worry about that. They're Christians too. You are very rude. There are other ways to discuss things than to blast people and call them stupid names.

Again, my sincere apologies for causing confusion. It's a shame we all can't read each other's minds.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:17 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,286,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I agree. Hey, there are many, many, many brilliant HUMANS who could sit down and explain their field of expertise to me for hours and I STILL won't understand it. If I am not capable of understanding the mind of some mere mortals, than how can I possibly understand the mind of God? But I have faith in Him and that is enough for me.
Isn't that the truth? Faith is all I need as well to sustain me through the rest of my days on this Earth.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:59 PM

20,484 posts, read 12,407,391 times
Quote:
God lumps people together in nations? Really? You would think from his position his view would be a little broader.....

If 75% of the people in a nation are good, does he still withdraw because of the other 25%?

Does he see individuals?
Frist I can only offer what I believe. I dont presume to know with certainty the mind of God.... None can.

The bible speaks of Gods judgment of nations "when their cup of iniquity" was full. thus in that God did judge an entire people collectively.

Again, we deal with my belief.

I also believe that God deals with us as individuals and in that while God may withold his blessings from a nation, he might at the same time bless individuals of that nation as well.

however the question here relates to God and nations.

i answered with what I think. I would be shocked if God agreed with me... and His view is certainly the correct one! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections