Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 02:09 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,737,166 times

Advertisements

If you are a religious person, do you pray about elections? If so, have you prayed about past elections? If you have prayed about past elections, have you given God credit for having a hand in the outcome?

If you're praying that McCain wins this election and Obama wins instead, will you believe that God wanted Obama to win, or will you believe that some other force came into play. And if so, what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 02:14 PM

20,484 posts, read 12,412,329 times
I pray that I do what is right. and I am very religious.

I firmly believe that God stays on the sidelines. He offers his blessings on nations that move toward him and withdraws them as nations move away from him.

But those who are part of those nations make those decisions.

I also belive that where America is concerned, the nation can move toward or away from God regardless of who is elected president.

If Obama is elected, I will certainly not be happy at all. I will see it as a terrible decision. But that doesnt mean we will have forsaken God.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:17 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,737,166 times
I asked because on another thread there's a video of a very sincere young man saying something like he thinks Sarah Palin has the Holy Spirit in her. That's a very strong thing to say. If the Holy Spirit does speak through a candidate, it seems like it would be apparent to everyone, or at least to those who believe in God or a higher power.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:20 PM

20,484 posts, read 12,412,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I asked because on another thread there's a video of a very sincere young man saying something like he thinks Sarah Palin has the Holy Spirit in her. That's a very strong thing to say. If the Holy Spirit does speak through a candidate, it seems like it would be apparent to everyone, or at least to those who believe in God or a higher power.
well.... I dont know that it is a strong thing to say. I go to a church full of folk that I know for certain have the Holy Spirit in them. Many have been used by the Lord to bless me personally.

and my church is probably split right down the middle on who they are going to vote for.

While I firmly believe that God allows us the free will to do as we choose, I also firmly believe that lots of folk do really stupid things in His name.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:42 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,448,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Some of the things that come out of her mouth, I do not think is the Holy Spirit speaking through her.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:50 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,254,864 times
We all have free will...there is no reason for a higher intelligence to step in and meddle with Earth. There is a scripture in the Bible that says something like, "By their fruits you shall know them." All you have to do is keep yourself open and it is easy to discern negative and positive energy. If you love your family, community, state, country, planet...you will choose positive.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:33 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,288,487 times
I am not a religious or Jesus freak as so many think of the Republicans. That is so inane. I am a Christian. God is in control and who wins, I believe, is whom He wants to win. If Obama wins, I think we'll be closer to the end times than ever before. Of course, that's just speculation on my part so don't blast me for it.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:40 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,176,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I pray that I do what is right. and I am very religious.

I firmly believe that God stays on the sidelines. He offers his blessings on nations that move toward him and withdraws them as nations move away from him.

But those who are part of those nations make those decisions.

I also belive that where America is concerned, the nation can move toward or away from God regardless of who is elected president.

If Obama is elected, I will certainly not be happy at all. I will see it as a terrible decision. But that doesnt mean we will have forsaken God.
God lumps people together in nations? Really? You would think from his position his view would be a little broader.....

If 75% of the people in a nation are good, does he still withdraw because of the other 25%?

Does he see individuals?

Old 10-18-2008, 07:41 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,176,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I am not a religious or Jesus freak as so many think of the Republicans. That is so inane. I am a Christian. God is in control and who wins, I believe, is whom He wants to win. If Obama wins, I think we'll be closer to the end times than ever before. Of course, that's just speculation on my part so don't blast me for it.
Does that go for NASCAR and football games, too?

Old 10-18-2008, 07:45 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,288,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Does that go for NASCAR and football games, too?
Gee, I just don't know, but NASCAR and football are not in the same category as the leader of our nation. In fact, they are totally non-important and non-existent as far as I'm concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections