Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 07:07 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times

Advertisements

Austin is a great town. My hometown. It's not what it used to be, years ago-- but then no place is what it used to be.

Also, Texas used to be a Blue State. I doubt very, very seriously that it will go Blue again in this election. Too many cowboy-up and uneducated morons still live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 07:12 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Austin is a great town. My hometown. It's not what it used to be, years ago-- but then no place is what it used to be.

Also, Texas used to be a Blue State. I doubt very, very seriously that it will go Blue again in this election. Too many cowboy-up and uneducated morons still live there.
Yep. Its always those uneducated morons that vote red huh? Pretty funny how many of my friends in Austin are college educated and pull down over six figures. Strange thing is they vote Republican. Go figure.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:17 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Texas was once a pretty solid red state but because of so many people moving here from other states, there's a great possibility it could turn blue. I moved to Texas from California and have no desire in helping to turn it blue. I'm going to help keep it red.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:18 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
Quote:

People vote the economy and their pocketbooks. Texas is one of the few states that continues to thrive and has a budget surplus in this downturn, despite Hurricane Ike's devastation. So, why would anyone want to screw that up by voting in the Dems??? I guess the "cowboys" and "uneducated morons" have more sense than you do!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Yep. Its always those uneducated morons that vote red huh? Pretty funny how many of my friends in Austin are college educated and pull down over six figures. Strange thing is they vote Republican. Go figure.
Right you are. I forgot to add: There's always the well-to-do and self-serving Texans, too, who will--of course--vote for McCain.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
People vote the economy and their pocketbooks. Texas is one of the few states that continues to thrive and has a budget surplus in this downturn, despite Hurricane Ike's devastation. So, why would anyone want to screw that up by voting in the Dems??? I guess the "cowboys" and "uneducated morons" have more sense than you do!
Sorry, babe. Texas was a solid BLUE state for a very, very long time.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Texas was once a pretty solid red state but because of so many people moving here from other states, there's a great possibility it could turn blue. I moved to Texas from California and have no desire in helping to turn it blue. I'm going to help keep it red.
Naw, you just haven't explored the western and northern parts of the state enough! I extend an invitation for you to come visit me in West Texas! Bring the canines! They can play with mine! (unless you have chihuahuas -- my Weimaraner thinks it's her duty to chase down and retrieve chihuahuas, for some reason. LOL, I don't think she believes that they're dogs!) Seriously, West Texas is an excellent example of fiscal conservatism, progress and common sense. You'd be amazed at the number of wind farms we have here now!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:22 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Quote:
I've lived in Texas 30 years and don't remember it being blue back then, but I could be wrong.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:23 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Quote:
Right you are. I forgot to add: There's always the well-to-do and self-serving Texans, too, who will--of course--vote for McCain.

Wait..wait...WAIT! Let me make sure I have this right:

If you vote Republican, you're either:

1. uneducated redneck

2. successful, rich prick who only cares about him/herself

Does that sound about right? Should I add "racist" to each category as well?

Old 10-17-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
First off, don't call me "babe." Thought you were an "enlightened Dem." Secondly, are you saying that Texas' economy was stronger when this was a Blue State? I'd like proof on that!

What's funny is that since moving from South Texas to West Texas, I've found that Republican West Texas is a heckuva lot more progressive and compassionate than Blue South Texas. My property taxes here in West Texas are a LOT lower and the city services and schools here are MUCH better.

West Texas is the home to the large number of wind farms in the country. South Texas is fighting tooth and nail to keep wind farms out of their area, citing concern for migratory birds and the environment. (Now, that might sound laudable but if you've ever been to deep South Texas and saw the degree of trash and filth they apparently find acceptable, you'd laugh at the sudden "environmental concern.")

The rest of us have seen what has gone on in the few Democratic hotbeds of our state and we don't want that spreading! Jaysus, the amount of political corruption in South Texas is LEGENDARY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections