Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:29 PM

63 posts, read 86,333 times

Advertisements

Former red states are turning blue. People from Democratic states are moving to GOP states because where they come from the economies are on the verge of collapse or it simply costs too much to live. Now why come to a red state and vote blue when you have seen 1st hand how badly Democratic party leadership fails. I welcome newcomers to my GOP dominate prosperous state but please don't try and change the way we live. If you must vote for Obama 08 do so, but at a local level do some research before you pull the lever. Thanks.

Some facts:

"Most other red states have done either fairly well or very well. Friday morning's Labor Department report shows at least 15 states that went for Bush in 2004 had seasonally adjusted August unemployment rates below 5%: Alabama, Arkansas, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.
But if you're looking for economic struggles, visit the blue states.
Begin with big kahuna California, which gave John Kerry a 10% margin in 2004. The now-misnamed Golden State, with its Democrat-dominated legislature and might-as-well-be-a-Democrat governor, had an August unemployment rate of 7.7%, up from just 5.5%, and over 400,000 more unemployed workers, in 12 months. Yet Arnold Schwarzenegger rejects the idea of offshore drilling, and the jobs it will create.
Then head east to Michigan (unemployment: 8.9%; 12-month job loss: 70,000). Things have gone from bad to very bad during the tenure of Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm, with the help of a too-compliant GOP legislature. Wolverine State defenders point to its "unique" auto industry problems. Baloney - Gramm and Solon noted that while Michigan lost 83,000 auto-sector jobs in the past 15 years, eight Southeastern states, all of which went for Bush in 2004, gained 91,000.
Move on to Ohio (7.4% unemployment). Though it went for Bush in 2004, state government has mostly acted blue since the mid-1990s, thanks to alleged GOP governors George Voinovich and Bob Taft. The Buckeye State moved from pseudo-red to largely blue in 2006, electing a Democratic governor, who has been aided and abetted by a mostly complacent GOP legislature.
Finally, head west a bit to Obama's Illinois (7.3% unemployment). Its Democratic governor, legislature, big-city mayor, and US senators have all played a role in creating the Land of Lincoln's economic lousiness. Moving Democratic National Committee operations to Chicago, perhaps Obama's most noteworthy "jobs program," has made little difference.
Within certain states, the red-blue contrast is stark. In Ohio, you'll find foreclosures galore and general economic malaise in bluer-than-blue Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Youngstown, Toledo, and Dayton. Meanwhile, Cincinnati and Columbus are hanging in there nicely, especially in the GOP-dominated ring suburbs. Similar comparisons apply between economically-distressed Southeastern Michigan against the rest of that state, and Metro Chicago versus much of the rest of Illinois.
If we're in a recession, blame it on the high-tax, high-regulation, high-giveaway environments of the blue states, blue regions, and blue cities. Red states, and the red regions within otherwise blue states, made the right decisions - but will be left holding the bag."

Last edited by CaptainJackman; 10-18-2008 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 12:35 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,731,370 times
The blue states are victims of their own success, and have become too expensive and crowded. Thus people and jobs are moving to the historically underachieving areas because labor and land costs are low due to years of stagnation. It all equalizes over time. I would hardly call California unsuccessful . . . just too successful.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:36 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,919,332 times
here are some more facts about obama you can pass on and what he will do to help, lol, i mean HURT the ECONOMY.

YouTube - "Middle Class" - neverfindout.org

YouTube - "Part of the Problem" - neverfindout.org

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95c0P...erfindout.org/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciJEw...erfindout.org/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sDcK...erfindout.org/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI7kD...erfindout.org/

Old 10-18-2008, 12:43 PM

20,298 posts, read 37,232,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
The blue states are victims of their own success, and have become too expensive and crowded. Thus people and jobs are moving to the historically underachieving areas because labor and land costs are low due to years of stagnation. It all equalizes over time. I would hardly call California unsuccessful . . . just too successful.
Too successful because its budget is in the red? In my view, CA was an excellent example of capitalism years ago. But all the social programs for all, including illegal immigrants, has turned CA into a cesspool, and a broken economy. Worst of all, the liberals out of CA move to other States, and screw-up everything there as well.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:45 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,068,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJackman View Post
Former red states are turning blue. People from Democratic states are moving to GOP states because where they come from the economies are on the verge of collapse or it simply costs too much to live. Now why come to a red state and vote blue when you have seen 1st hand how badly Democratic party leadership fails. I welcome newcomers to my GOP dominate prosperous state but please don't try and change the way we live. If you must vote for Obama 08 do so, but at a local level do some research before you pull the lever. Thanks.

Some facts:

"Most other red states have done either fairly well or very well. Friday morning's Labor Department report shows at least 15 states that went for Bush in 2004 had seasonally adjusted August unemployment rates below 5%: Alabama, Arkansas, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.
But if you're looking for economic struggles, visit the blue states.
Begin with big kahuna California, which gave John Kerry a 10% margin in 2004. The now-misnamed Golden State, with its Democrat-dominated legislature and might-as-well-be-a-Democrat governor, had an August unemployment rate of 7.7%, up from just 5.5%, and over 400,000 more unemployed workers, in 12 months. Yet Arnold Schwarzenegger rejects the idea of offshore drilling, and the jobs it will create.
Then head east to Michigan (unemployment: 8.9%; 12-month job loss: 70,000). Things have gone from bad to very bad during the tenure of Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm, with the help of a too-compliant GOP legislature. Wolverine State defenders point to its "unique" auto industry problems. Baloney - Gramm and Solon noted that while Michigan lost 83,000 auto-sector jobs in the past 15 years, eight Southeastern states, all of which went for Bush in 2004, gained 91,000.
Move on to Ohio (7.4% unemployment). Though it went for Bush in 2004, state government has mostly acted blue since the mid-1990s, thanks to alleged GOP governors George Voinovich and Bob Taft. The Buckeye State moved from pseudo-red to largely blue in 2006, electing a Democratic governor, who has been aided and abetted by a mostly complacent GOP legislature.
Finally, head west a bit to Obama's Illinois (7.3% unemployment). Its Democratic governor, legislature, big-city mayor, and US senators have all played a role in creating the Land of Lincoln's economic lousiness. Moving Democratic National Committee operations to Chicago, perhaps Obama's most noteworthy "jobs program," has made little difference.
Within certain states, the red-blue contrast is stark. In Ohio, you'll find foreclosures galore and general economic malaise in bluer-than-blue Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Youngstown, Toledo, and Dayton. Meanwhile, Cincinnati and Columbus are hanging in there nicely, especially in the GOP-dominated ring suburbs. Similar comparisons apply between economically-distressed Southeastern Michigan against the rest of that state, and Metro Chicago versus much of the rest of Illinois.
If we're in a recession, blame it on the high-tax, high-regulation, high-giveaway environments of the blue states, blue regions, and blue cities. Red states, and the red regions within otherwise blue states, made the right decisions - but will be left holding the bag."
I tell this to people moving to my state all the time - "Why do you want to change our red state and turn it into the expensive crappy place you just fled? Can't you put 2 and 2 together and figure out that that stuff you're running away from is because it's liberal?

Old 10-18-2008, 12:47 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,288,856 times
How do the red states rate in terms of education?

Old 10-18-2008, 12:50 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,837,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJackman View Post
these cities/states you are refering to will turn into what your spekaing about. when and if the economy booms.. there will be more immigratioin to those areas.. i rememer when people said in the 80's you could get an apartment for 400 dollars and the cost of living wasnt that high...

i think it al boils down to population growth...which will result in cost and tax hikes

Old 10-18-2008, 12:51 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,558,234 times
But Laura . . . they aren't listening. Instead, they move to the South b/c of our lower taxes and lower cost of housing . . . and then our taxes go up . . . and the entitlement programs start flowing . . .

Things are changing and it doesn't seem the newcomers always understand that they are changing areas where they have movd into the same mess they left. I am already starting to hear the complaints here in CLT . . . crowded schools . . . strained highway/road system . . . and why? B/c of the flood of newcomers we have experienced. I find it amazing that the very people who caused the infrastructure crisis are the ones complaining and disparaging "the South." They created the situation! Now our taxes are going up . . . Unbelievable.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:51 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,837,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I tell this to people moving to my state all the time - "Why do you want to change our red state and turn it into the expensive crappy place you just fled? Can't you put 2 and 2 together and figure out that that stuff you're running away from is because it's liberal?

exactly, he dont see it that way but its bound to happen in the place they flee too......it all takes a matter of yrs no more than 10

Old 10-18-2008, 12:55 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,930,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Too successful because its budget is in the red? In my view, CA was an excellent example of capitalism years ago. But all the social programs for all, including illegal immigrants, has turned CA into a cesspool, and a broken economy. Worst of all, the liberals out of CA move to other States, and screw-up everything there as well.
Exactly why I am in the process of moving my family out of CA. We do not wish to change anything and are moving to an area that is pretty conservative. We have already got our loan and will be moving once the election is over. Can't wait to say adios to CA and the idiocy that is here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections