Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:35 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,184,083 times

Advertisements

Three of the four candidates for the Republican presidential nomination -- Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul -- might soon agree with T.S. Eliot: for them, April may indeed be “the cruelest month.”
That’s because their front-running rival, Mitt Romney, appears poised to further pad his lead in delegates in upcoming Republican nomination contests, starting with Illinois next Tuesday and through a northeastern primary day on April 24.

Romney Set to Dominate Race Through April - Rasmussen Reports™

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-17-2012 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 08:07 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,991,966 times
Thanks for posting this. The reality is, if one assumed Santorum would gain favor with evangelicals, there was no reason to conclude Romney would be past the 40% delgate requirement before April. That is the reason hs is nearly a lock now; he not only withered the more difficult part of the schedule for him, he amassed more delegates than the other 3 put together during the period least favorable to him.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,014,593 times
Romney will never set foot in the Oval Office as anything other than a guest.

The group of Republicans all but tripping over one another in their efforts to endlessly promote a candidate that all but guarantees their party will lose the general election would be amusing were their misguided efforts not almost sure to give us another 4 yrs of Obama.

Great job Romneybots...thanks so much for doing everything possible to ensure our further demise. At least we'll know who to blame as Obama continues to destroy the nation.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:18 PM

26,557 posts, read 15,127,776 times
My predictions:

Puerto Rico - Romney
Illinois - Romney
Louisiana - Santorum
DC - Romney
Maryland - Romney
Wisconsin - Santorum
Connecticut - Romney
Delaware - Romney
Pennsylvania - Santorum
Rhode Island - Romney
New York - Romney

(pressure starts to mount on Newt and Santorum and their followers start to trickle away)

Indiana - Romney
North Carolina - Romney
West Virginia - Santorum
Oregon - Romney
Nebraska - Romney

(calls grow louder for Santorum to step aside)

They are listed in chronological order.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:22 PM

outbacknv,

You're welcome, and here is reality for you. At every juncture, Romney has fared far better head-to-head vs Obama, than the 3 clowns trailing him. I'm not talking any single poll, but looking at them in aggregate.

Its conceivable that Obama vs Santorum or Newt could lead to More electoral votes for Obama in 2012, than he got in 2008. Paul would be fortunate to win 5 states.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:29 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,439,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
My predictions:

Puerto Rico - Romney
Illinois - Romney
Louisiana - Santorum
DC - Romney
Maryland - Romney
Wisconsin - Santorum
Connecticut - Romney
Delaware - Romney
Pennsylvania - Santorum
Rhode Island - Romney
New York - Romney

(pressure starts to mount on Newt and Santorum and their followers start to trickle away)

Indiana - Romney
North Carolina - Romney
West Virginia - Santorum
Oregon - Romney
Nebraska - Romney

looks about right to me.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:31 PM

I also think the list is quite accurate, except I suspect Wisconsin is a toss up state that could go to either Romney or Santorum.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:55 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,090,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
My predictions:

Puerto Rico - Romney
Illinois - Romney
Louisiana - Santorum
DC - Romney
Maryland - Romney
Wisconsin - Santorum
Connecticut - Romney
Delaware - Romney
Pennsylvania - Santorum
Rhode Island - Romney
New York - Romney

Indiana - Romney
North Carolina - Romney
West Virginia - Santorum
Oregon - Romney
Nebraska - Romney

That's a bold guess for Indiana I think, but I could be wrong. Admittedly I'm just stereotyping it as being similar to other Midwestern states. I do hope Romney wins.

Fortunately, I think the predictions Rasmussen makes are somewhat off since they don't account for momentum. Once Romney is starting to win every contest, inevitability-mode will set in again, and there are few opportunities for Santorum to change that with an upset. I even think Pennsylvania will tighten up. That may be Romney's opportunity to try to shut out Santorum, by winning in PA. That would definitely not be easy, or likely, but that should definitely end it. Even if he keeps Santorum's margin of victory down, he can move past it pretty unscathed.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:59 PM

Pa dissed Santorum by 18, when he last ran there.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:05 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,014,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
outbacknv,

You're welcome, and here is reality for you. At every juncture, Romney has fared far better head-to-head vs Obama, than the 3 clowns trailing him. I'm not talking any single poll, but looking at them in aggregate.

Its conceivable that Obama vs Santorum or Newt could lead to More electoral votes for Obama in 2012, than he got in 2008. Paul would be fortunate to win 5 states.
Projection vs reality. Get back to me when Romney beats Obama and I'll gladly admit I was wrong and apologize for my inaccurate projections.

Until such time as Romney is sworn into office after having beaten Obama your statements are every bit as based upon statistics that may or may not be accurate as mine.

Whether the future proves me correct or not, for the time being I'll stick by my belief that electing another version of Obama will ultimately do little to motivate swing voters to flock to the polls in support of the (at best) marginal candidate. Romney will not win without the support of those voters.

Time will tell which of us is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections