Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:47 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,851,443 times

Advertisements

OK, I get the whole SNL thing was supposed to be a good idea, and I get the Tina/Sara look alike bit. And the Baldwin bit was a tad funny, but a 6 year old could see it coming.

But, when she did Weekend Update I just thought FTW? I mean who knew that Amy Poehler, that far pregnant could "shake that thing" so well, and Palin did the whole white girl "pushin it up" as well as any other cheerleader.

But, when they did the line about "shoot the *******ng moose", and shot the mascot moose! She sat there with the same empty look on her face that she has most of the time. I don't think McCain would have taken that from anyone but Letterman, and maybe not even Dave.

But, the winners of the night were Lorne Michaels, Barack Obama and of course the GE stockholders. First Michaels convinces the campaign that this is the way to "humanize" Palin, "millions of independent women voters will tune in to see the 'real' Palin". So the campaign goes for it, the viewership rockets, good so far.

But then they sell a 30 second spot to Obama, with an ad tailor made to point out the hypocrisy of McCain's statements about women, and of course it's seen by all those independent women. And of course NBC charges a premium to Obama, but he's got the coin for it.

Let's see, should we go on a TV show in NY City, done by people who we constantly denigrate and imply are un-American? Sure, let's do it! What could possibly go wrong?

Someday people will write books, give lectures and get rich informing othes how NOT to do a Presidential campaign the way these morons are doing it.

Hollywood/Media elites: 3
McCain/Palin 08: 0

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 09:54 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Alec Baldwin: Palin on SNL: What Did You Expect?

I don't know, Alec seems to think she was a good sport. What were you expecting?

Quote:
Saturday Night Live is a comedy show. It's not Meet the Press. It doesn't "ask the tough questions" or "set the agenda." It attempts, with varying degrees of success, to make people laugh. That's it. Whether they skewer and savage people in order to do so, they don't care. When you come on a show like that, you are prepared in advance to get worked over. Palin knew that. Palin came on to be a good sport. And she was. She was polite, gracious. (More so than some of the famous actors who come through there, believe me.)

However, I assume that, like Meet the Press, SNL feels an obligation to offer their special forum to any and all public figures and officials who are current. Headline making. And in SNL's case, would make for a hit show. Several people decried SNL for giving her a spot on the show. You're kidding, right? The woman is the Vice Presidential nominee of one of the two major parties in this country. Don't put her on SNL? With all of her exposure and the Tina Fey performance? What reality are you in?
I guess he's been hearing it from the enraged masses that she was allowed on the show.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:55 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
I'll give her points for just showing up. She really couldnt do comedy in the midst of this race and all the questions surrounding her credentials to be V.P.

It was, more or less, a no win situation no matter how you looked at it, if she didnt show up she was cold, calculating and didnt have a sense of humor, if she did, she wasnt taking the race seriously enough.

I'll say she did about as good as she could. For someone who has shown herself so unable to discuss even the most basic issues facing this country, she did okay on SNL.

Remember, McLame ultimately picked her to be his V.P., the blame for this bad choice rests with him.

As they used to say on SNL, she simply is "not ready for primetime"

Old 10-20-2008, 09:57 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,851,443 times
sanrene wrote;
Quote:
I don't know, Alec seems to think she was a good sport. What were you expecting?
No, I meant that the bit was so over the top obvious that everyone, including the lovely Mrs golfgod (who has no sense of humor, or comedic timing) could see it coming.

golfgod

Old 10-20-2008, 10:01 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
sanrene wrote;

No, I meant that the bit was so over the top obvious that everyone, including the lovely Mrs golfgod (who has no sense of humor, or comedic timing) could see it coming.

golfgod
Were you expecting a Meryl Streep performance? This is SNL were taking about right?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:02 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,584,106 times
It's SNL for goodness sake, it's supposed to be funny and not serious! If you takes things too seriously you might not get out alive.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
i forgive saturday night live. when you are that good a few mistakes are acceptable. dear op
did you really think a beauty queen was going to be a hit with americans?
1 in 3 americans is obese.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:05 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
there is only so much you can do on a Live show to make it interesting..
sadly you are right, it was a tad formulaic

Old 10-20-2008, 10:06 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
They are just not funny anymore. I was watching two other skits, half-heartedly, it was just....unfunny.

Hers were the best by far....and they were nothing to write home about - the material that is.

If I were her I would have improvised - when first meeting Alec, I would have said "I thought you moved out of the country long ago", or something like that.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:12 PM

826 posts, read 1,625,778 times
The only thing completely unaware is you - her name is Sarah not Sara.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections