Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:12 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,861,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Polls and Pols

There has been a history of various polls over the years projecting bigger votes for the Democrats' presidential candidate in October than that candidate actually gets in November.

Some of these polls seem like they are not trying to report facts but to create an impression. One poll has been reported as using a sample consisting of 280 Republicans and 420 Democrats. No wonder Obama leads in a poll like that.

Pollsters have to protect their reputations but they can do that by playing it straight on their last poll before election day, after having created an impression earlier that a landslide for the Democratic candidate was all but a done deal.

The general media bias is more blatant than usual this year.

Thomas Sowell : Polls and Pols - Townhall.com
Couldn't have said this better than Thomas Sowell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 12:24 PM

10,654 posts, read 18,717,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Haven't you guys ever been told NOT to put all your eggs in one basket, in this case the Gallup poll?

Let's see, rasmussen is unchanged at 4, Zogby is up three from yesterday. Hotline is down 2 from yesterday and from a high of 10. Battleground is 1 down 3 from yesterday and from a high of 13.

Pick a poll. I'm sure we can all find something we like, yes?

I'm not so sure. And pointing out somebody's record and past is not negative campaigning.
Spin spinnery spin spinnery spin spin speroooo

Old 10-21-2008, 12:29 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,488,273 times
Quote:
Haven't you guys ever been told NOT to put all your eggs in one basket, in this case the Gallup poll?
Interesting, especially coming from the very person who was touting the Gallup numbers specifically late last week when they were getting tighter.....

Old 10-21-2008, 12:32 PM

10,654 posts, read 18,717,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Interesting, especially coming from the very person who was touting the Gallup numbers specifically late last week when they were getting tighter.....
yup.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...ghlight=gallup
https://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...d-2-4-8-a.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...rv-6-lvii.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...bama-4-rv.html

Old 10-21-2008, 01:08 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,081,368 times
Quote:
So.. you want to ignore the polls that have a spread from 1 to 11 and just concentrate on 1 pollster? As I recall, you like to cite the rasmussen, Hotline and battleground. But, be my guest relying on one poll for your viewing pleasure. What do you think of that Battleground poll? Pretty dramatic - from 13 to 1 in less than a week? I'm sure it will be going up tomorrow, in fact I guarantee it, after they fudge with the party id numbers a bit.

Quote:
Yesss. Not touting - just putting them up - for the record, since none of the bots were inclined to do it.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:12 PM

3,086 posts, read 5,377,317 times
Quote:

Let's see, rasmussen is unchanged at 4, Zogby is up three from yesterday. Hotline is down 2 from yesterday and from a high of 10. Battleground is 1 down 3 from yesterday and from a high of 13.

Pick a poll. I'm sure we can all find something we like, yes?

I'm not so sure. And pointing out somebody's record and past is not negative campaigning.
so, what you are saying is that since EVERY POLL has Obama "up", it time for his supporters to start getting "upset"? Curious. Now, I totally agree that it is no time to become complacent, but this IS looking good. . . .

Old 10-21-2008, 06:07 PM

31,702 posts, read 41,183,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I agree and we need to remain balanced and focus on the election and not daily bragging rights. Bots focus on slamming Johhhhhn y and sarie and not on gloating about daily polls. The key to victory is to continue exposing he Republican Bush/Rove/McCain/Palin and their sidekick McCain machine.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:12 PM

163 posts, read 238,523 times
Default Do NOT get get complacent!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I agree and we need to remain balanced and focus on the election and not daily bragging rights. Bots focus on slamming Johhhhhn y and sarie and not on gloating about daily polls. The key to victory is to continue exposing he Republican Bush/Rove/McCain/Palin and their sidekick McCain machine.
Keep doing what you all have been doing!!!! & bump it up 150%.... Lets not call anybody names & focus, focus, focus..... Communicate the thought process... Does not matter what Rick Davis said, Its ALL about issues....

Strengthen the "intellectual" & "thoughtful" base...

Rest is gravy.....

Last edited by vsaksena; 10-21-2008 at 07:18 PM..

Old 10-21-2008, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,784,222 times
Colin Powell effect, perhaps?

Old 10-21-2008, 08:52 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,081,368 times
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Rendell ’still a little nervous’ about Penn., asks Obama to return « - Blogs from CNN.com
Daily Kos: State of the Nation

Just watch where the campaigns go. Why was Biden in Washington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections