Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:40 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,923,075 times

Advertisements

Again, PEOPLE, the point is that something sinister might be going on in the poll taking. It is simply one clue of many. Every now and then an independent pollster comes up with some poll that goes against the trend. some more credible then others. But what we do know, is in the national polls, they set all sorts of pre-criteria on who they poll, age groups, what percentage of each of 12 groups will show up to vote and so on. Whenever they conduct a 100% straight forward poll..........WHO DO YOU PLAN TO VOTE FOR? McCain almost always is in the lead. Could be clue, could be nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 12:42 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,634,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Perhaps rural users who can't get internet any other way? Older users who have no need for things like downloading music or video? Anyway, it's a curious demographic to say the least (also, those poll numbers are 3 weeks old) --

Interesting post. Weren't most of Hillary's supporters, rural Americans? Makes you wonder huh?

Old 10-22-2008, 01:01 AM

573 posts, read 802,472 times
AOL users are out-of-date just like John McCain. An AOL poll supporting McCain would seem to be an obvious match and totally unrepresentative of most of the nation actually living in this century.

Last edited by Tennis702; 10-22-2008 at 01:19 AM..

Old 10-22-2008, 01:11 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,477,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Who uses AOL anymore?

McCain supporters....

Old 10-22-2008, 01:22 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
McCain supporters....
58% of those who participated in the AOL polls were registered Democrats.

For the tenth time, I'm not stating this poll is how America will vote on 11-4. I'm just saying this poll and numerous others that do not set pre-conditions and just ask people who they intend to vote for, always show McCain ahead.

You would not believe the criteria they set in the national polls. But hey, I guess they are the experts, until they get it wrong......again.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:27 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,071,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I know, I know it is AOL. But they make you sign in using your master screen name and log your IP. You can only vote once. It is straight forward. "Who do you plan to vote for?" It shows McCain at 63 and Obama at 37%

Now I don't know about you, but AOL is not exactly chalk full of a bunch of right wing conservatives. The author of the aritcle suggests it shoudl be looked into, as something crazy might be a brewing.

I only mention this as I read an article that suggest perhaps either something shady, or very fundamentally wrong might be happening with the major polling? Who conducts these polls, or actually collects the data? A bunch of liberal 18- to 20 somethings who support Obama! Could they have an alternative motivation to mes with the polls.

Democrats and Republicans, read the article in its entire length. It will make you wonder, that is for sure.

Note: the article is from a few weeks ago, but AOL's current polling that started yesterday shows the same 62-38 McCain lead, or Obama gaining 1 point. Very strange!

AOL Straw Poll: McCain 63%, Obama 37% | NewsBusters.org
Independent, Undecided and Bots let us examine the above. The other day Sunday to be exact they were heralding the Zogby poll as being the all forecasting poll and predictor of a McCain surge. Now is this all they have? I believe there is or at least one other poll showing it as being close, isn't there. Can't they do better then an AOL online straw poll? The other day it was Gallup and Zogby. Other posters have shown how Gallup is/at least was galloping in the Obama direction but what is the formerly 2.7 Obama lead in Zogby today? Why is that no longer being used by McCainies?
Obama takes 10-point lead on McCain | U.S. | Reuters
By John Whitesides, Political Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democrat Barack Obama has expanded his national lead over Republican John McCain in the presidential race to 10 points, according to a Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby poll released on Wednesday.

Obama leads McCain 52 percent to 42 percent among likely U.S. voters in the latest three-day tracking poll, up from an 8-point advantage for Obama on Tuesday. The telephone poll has a margin of error of 2.9 percentage points.

It was the third consecutive day Obama gained ground on McCain as the two begin the final sprint to the November 4 election.

"Obama just keeps growing, he has expanded his lead among almost every major voting group," said pollster John Zogby. "McCain seems to be out of steam for the moment."

Note they say for the moment. Bots there is plenty of time for McCain to stage a rally so we now need to be ever more on top of our game and keep pushing and pushing until their own backward momentum takes them over the edge.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:05 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,159,192 times
This is a non-issue. I am on AOL (no broadband out here in the boonies,it's the fastest here for dial-up) and you can have up to 6 (or 7? I forget) screen names at a time,& change them whenever you like. Each SN has a different IP addy... sooooo....do the math! I could sit here all day,making up new screen names,voting 'till the cows come home.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:07 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,281,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
This is a non-issue. I am on AOL (no broadband out here in the boonies,it's the fastest here for dial-up) and you can have up to 6 (or 7? I forget) screen names at a time,& change them whenever you like. Each SN has a different IP addy... sooooo....do the math! I could sit here all day,making up new screen names,voting 'till the cows come home.
Yeah, and only one side would make up names and vote multiple times.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:08 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,077,590 times
Yeah...weird... so far 9/10 of the people I polled here will be voting for McCain. But you know, they are busy working.

Hmmm....

Old 10-22-2008, 10:12 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,439,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
Yeah...weird... so far 9/10 of the people I polled here will be voting for McCain. But you know, they are busy working.

Hmmm....

You know, if you clear your cookies, you can vote as many times as you want in the AOL poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections