Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:19 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I knew the end was nigh for the right wing wailers when I overheard a couple of 50+ ladies in a restaurant. They were both wearing Obama buttons but talking about Rush's show that day. I had to ask as it seemed a bit incongruous, to say the least

Here's what they told me;they take turns listening (also to Hannity and Savage and watching Fox news-turns out there's a number of them that do this) and making notes, then they research THE FACTS and do an email blast to everyone on their email list. Their email list includes all of their family members, church and other social club members, their kids and grandkids.

Ahhhh, educating people about the truth. This will spell the end of the hard right wing of the Republican Party. Maybe now the normal people can re-take control like many of us did in the Democratic Party.

When the Rs can't win over this demographic, Reagan Democrats if ever I saw them, it's over.

Pull it off the shelf, cut out the bad ingredients and rebrand it and better luck next time. Call yourself the "new Coke", that should do it.

golfgod
You might believe your story is true but I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 11:22 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times
A lot of folks are hypothesizing that the internet and it's ready source of info and fact checking is "the death of Rovian smear politics."

Now I don't think it goes that far but it's ahrd to deny that ready access to the internet by so many now has shaped this campaign and dulled a lot of the smearific attacks.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:37 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
If the Dems weren't afraid Obama might lose, they wouldn't make comments like yours. Your party may be in their death throes come November 4th.
Just because you're up 96 - 10 in the middle of the 4th Quarter doesn't mean you stop running plays.

But I gotta hand it to you hard-core Republicans. I was a Dole supporter, so I know how you feel.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
So you ran into a couple of liberal hag hacks. I betcha those emails are deleted and not read and I betcha the people on their email list wish they would STOP sending that crap. I just delete that stuff without reading it.

I betcha you're angry and irrational as the election approaches. But you shouldn't be. The GOP has caused tremendous damage to our nation over the past few years. By rights, some of these clowns in the leadership of that party should end up in jail. They probably won't, though. In America, we tend not to be that vengeful. You might consider how your party got so far off center and went so far down the wrong path.

And then work to get it back in shape for the future. A future that could have been better for all of us if your party hadn't sold us down the river in so many ways.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:41 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I betcha you're angry and irrational as the election approaches. But you shouldn't be. The GOP has caused tremendous damage to our nation over the past few years. By rights, some of these clowns in the leadership of that party should end up in jail. They probably won't, though. In America, we tend not to be that vengeful. You might consider how your party got so far off center and went so far down the wrong path.

And then work to get it back in shape for the future. A future that could have been better for all of us if your party hadn't sold us down the river in so many ways.
LOL. Looks like you're the one who is angry. You've been listening to moveon.org too much.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:44 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
A lot of folks are hypothesizing that the internet and it's ready source of info and fact checking is "the death of Rovian smear politics."

Now I don't think it goes that far but it's ahrd to deny that ready access to the internet by so many now has shaped this campaign and dulled a lot of the smearific attacks.
I agree...and this holds true for either candidate. This is quite clearly the first time the internet has been such a significant factor in the vote, in my humble opinion. I also think it is the first time the often dismissed younger vote will be more vigilant given the online media push for involvement. All candidates going forward will be emulating (if he wins) the Obama campaign organization as a model going forward. From an execution standpoint (tactically speaking) it has been impressive. You might not like his politics, etc, but from an operational standpoint it has been quite an engine.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:26 PM

543 posts, read 1,456,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I agree...and this holds true for either candidate. This is quite clearly the first time the internet has been such a significant factor in the vote, in my humble opinion. I also think it is the first time the often dismissed younger vote will be more vigilant given the online media push for involvement. All candidates going forward will be emulating (if he wins) the Obama campaign organization as a model going forward. From an execution standpoint (tactically speaking) it has been impressive. You might not like his politics, etc, but from an operational standpoint it has been quite an engine.

Yes, loads of money from corrupt donors, and voter fraud can work wonders.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:32 PM

989 posts, read 2,498,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Another suspect anecdotal story from golfgod, that just so happens to mirror exactly the obama-media talking points.

Can I tell you my anecdotal stories - well actually my husbands?

He goes to Iowa frequently on business trips - goes into heavy union facilities. He can't find an Obama supporter.

Same for his trips to Texas.

Also his liberal colleagues in Or/Wa. Not voting for Obambi.

There you have it.
I fear that regardless of your husband's observations Obama will win.

I just wish the GOP controlled congress so we'd see some compromise between the executive and legislative branch. Liberal dominate government like the haven't since the 60's and 70's. This Obama-Pelosi-Reid coalition we will see running the country is really,really scary...

Old 10-22-2008, 12:42 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
LOL. Looks like you're the one who is angry.
I'm plenty angry. I've been paying attention to what Bush/Cheney and their cronies have done to our nation.

You're angry because that crowd is being pushed out of power.

Two perspectives on the Bush years. We can't both be right. Let's see what the public decides in less than two weeks.

Quote:
You've been listening to moveon.org too much.
Tell me more. Is that a radio station?

Old 10-22-2008, 12:49 PM

472 posts, read 872,306 times
When my 59 year old ex-girlfriend's mom showed up in a myspace search I had to check out her profile. She was a die hard, red meat, red stater from North Carolina... she voted against Clinton and voted for Bush in 2000. She was proud as punch when her son was in the marines during the Gulf War. I nearly fell over when I read this on her myspace account...

I AM ALL ABOUT FAMILY AND SPENDING TIME WITH THOSE I LOVE! I LOVE FOOTBALL, NASCAR AND HOCKEY! I LOVE BREAKING NEWS AND CABLE NEWS CHANNELS! I WANT BARACK OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT BECAUSE I FEEL THIS COUNTRY IS IN DEEP DANGER AND WE NEED A PRESIDENT WHO BELIEVES THAT ALSO. FOR EVERYTHING BAD THAT IS SAID ABOUT OBAMA, HE CAN NOT BE ANY WORSE THAN WHAT WE HAVE HAD IN THE LAST 15 YEARS! SO GIVE A GUY WITH A VISION, A CHANCE! WE CAN ALWAYS VOTE HIM OUT IN 4 YEARS!!!

Wow... I would have thought she would have been 100% behind Mc Cain/Palin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections