Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:51 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,981,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Okay, first of all I think that comment to Joe the Plumber was kind of snotty, elitist or something. I didn't like it.
You are truly hopeless. yeah go ahead just throw out elitist whenever you can't think of any valid criticism. he Does make way more than $250,000! IT'S THE TRUTH. And McCain sure as hell does too. So why is that a problem?
the difference is, Obama came from humble beginnings and fought for everything he has. McCain held his hand out and daddy gave it to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 07:54 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,981,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
he was born into a very high ranking family, his father and grandfather. he himself went into the military.
McCain's 4-star admiral daddy got him into the military. AND was probably the only reason he was allowed to REMAIN there since Johnny boy was a grade-A screw up in Naval academy.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Okay, first of all I think that comment to Joe the Plumber was kind of snotty, elitist or something. I didn't like it.

And then you Dems post here acting like Obama is "one of us" and that Michelle had to pull together $900 for a nice dress for the acceptance speech. THE OBAMAS HAVE MONEY. Are you mad that they have money when so many people are struggling? Are you mad that they make way over $250,000 a year and Obama's half brother lives in a hut in Kenya and lives on less than $1 a month? If you are mad about the GOP buying SP some clothes while people are struggling, are you just as mad that Barack and Michelle spend money while people are struggling?

I guess those complaining should be examining how nice their cars are, how nice their house and furniture is, how much they spend on clothes and whether they go to restaurants that are too nice because after all, there are people struggling. I guess you complainers have no right to anything since others are struggling.
Too bad the DNC couldn't buy her a dress, like the RNC did for Sarah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I brought this up before. Obama Bin Lying believes McCain can't relate with the average Joe, sounds like a double standard. Nobama can't relate any better then because I doubt he's worried about where his next meal will come from, I doubt he's worried about how he'll pay for that next tank of gas, I doubt he's worried about paying the mortgage, he isn't experiencing any of those worries right now so he needs to zip his lips about McCain when it comes to the same scenarios.

Fact of the matter is Nobama doesn't know what it's like to be struggling right now anymore than other politicians. He plays the act well, but he's not missing meals anytime soon.
What would McCain know about it, either?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:43 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,731,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I brought this up before. Obama Bin Lying believes McCain can't relate with the average Joe, sounds like a double standard. Nobama can't relate any better then because I doubt he's worried about where his next meal will come from, I doubt he's worried about how he'll pay for that next tank of gas, I doubt he's worried about paying the mortgage, he isn't experiencing any of those worries right now so he needs to zip his lips about McCain when it comes to the same scenarios.

Fact of the matter is Nobama doesn't know what it's like to be struggling right now anymore than other politicians. He plays the act well, but he's not missing meals anytime soon.
The point is that Sen. Obama, like many of us, knows what it was like to be struggling at one time having seen his mother and perhaps his grandparents live paycheck to paycheck to survive. He also knows what real poverty looks like in Illinois and Indonesia and Africa.
He knows what it is like to work hard and no longer have to worry about living paycheck to paycheck, and have the ability to make life easier for his children than his was.
Isn't this something we all aspire to? The fact is, he does make way more than $250,000 per year. Should he be coy about it? Should he apologize for it? Isn't bettering oneself the 'American Way'?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:49 AM

306 posts, read 1,162,590 times
Quote:
I didn't say McCain is one of us. But lots of you pretend Obama is one of us, and he's not.
No one I know pretends he is one of us. We know he is a highly educated man who does not shoot from the hip. He unites people. We need a president who not only unites Americans but unites America with the rest of the world. He can speak eloquently and we need that in a president. Not a joke of a president who sounds as dumb can be. He has worked hard to get where he is. He has helped others. He is a man to aspire to be like. And who is "Us"? Bush? Palin? McCain? They are not in my "Us" circle. They are arrogant. They are a great sound bite but not much more then that. Bush is a joke. McCain is trying to pretend he is nothing like the leader of his own party. Palin is a thick as two short planks. Hockey mom. Puuleeze. I have never met a hockey mom in my life.

What most of us are looking for in a president is someone who can lead. Someone who the world respects. Someone who is highly educated. I do not think Joe the plumber is qualified to be the president... and my husband is a plumber. I want my president to see the big picture, not stand on an aircraft carrier spouting John Wayne-isms sounding like an idiot. I want a president I can be proud of. Mostly I want to be able to open my mouth, as I live in Europe, and not have people associate me with a ding bat who is hell bent on ruining the world... because end of days is "right round the corner"

Old 10-24-2008, 09:01 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,194,965 times
Default The title of your thread is misleading. Why not quote honestly?

He's not being elitist at all, if you actually read what was actually said, and dont rely on Fox News out-of-context propaganda.

Political Punch: Obama and Joe the Plumber Exchange

Obama says, “Over the last 15 years, when you weren’t making 250, you would have been given a tax cut from me, so you’d actually have more money, which means you would have saved more, which means you would have gotten to the point where you could build your small business quicker than under the current tax code. So there are two ways of looking at it – I mean one way of looking at it is, now that you’ve become more successful through hard work – you don’t want to be taxed as much.”

“Exactly," Wurzelbacher said.

Obama continued, “But another way of looking at it is 95% of folks who are making less than 250, they may be working hard too, but they’re being taxed at a higher rate than they would be under mine. So what I’m doing is, put yourself back 10 years ago when you were only making whatever, 60 or 70. Under my tax plan you would be keeping more of your paycheck, you’d be paying lower taxes, which means you would have saved…Now look, nobody likes high taxes."

"No," said Wurzelbacher.

"Of course not," said Obama. "But what’s happened is that we end up – we’ve cut taxes a lot for folks like me who make a lot more than 250. We haven’t given a break to folks who make less, and as a consequence, the average wage and income for ordinary folks, the vast majority of Americans, has actually gone down over the last eight years. So all I want to do is – I’ve got a tax cut. The only thing that changes, is I’m gonna cut taxes a little bit more for the folks who are most in need and for the 5% of the folks who are doing very well - even though they’ve been working hard and I appreciate that – I just want to make sure they’re paying a little bit more in order to pay for those other tax cuts. Now, I respect the disagreement. I just want you to be clear – it’s not that I want to punish your success – I just want to make sure that everybody who is behind you – that they’ve got a chance at success too.”

Wurzelbacher said it seemed as though Obama might support a flat tax.

Obama says, “you know, I would be open to it except here’s the problem with a flat tax is that if you actually put a flat tax together, in order for it to work and replace all the revenue that we’ve got, you’d probably end up having to make it like about a 40% sales tax. I mean that’s the value added, making it up. Now some people say 23 or 25, but in truth when you add up all the revenue that would need to be raised, you’d have to slap on a whole bunch of sales taxes on. And I do believe for folks like me who have worked hard, but frankly also been lucky, I don’t mind paying just a little bit more than the waitress that I just met over there who’s things are slow and she can barely make the rent."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections