Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:12 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,077,590 times

Advertisements

And guess what?????

According to the radio, no one is really watching the news nor reading the newspaper anymore because of all the slant and lies in journalism. Well, there are decreased viewers.

Journalism died during this election.

Quote:
NETWORK NEWS SLUMPS; VIEWERSHIP FADES
Wed Oct 22 2008 07:25:40 ET

The Obama-McCain match-up is proving to be a lackluster election ticket for the Big 3 network news programs, according to NIELSEN MEDIA RESEARCH.

As the shouting from the trail and the frantic spinning from the anchor desks intensify, the audience is voting with their remotes.

All 3 evening news shows experienced audience drops year-to-year for the week of Oct. 13-19, 2008.

CBSNEWS w/ Couric shed a half a million viewers, falling from 6.4 million to 5.9 million; ABCNEWS dropped from 8.1 million to 7.6 million; NBCNEWS slumped from 8.2 million to 7.8 million.
http://www.drudgereport.com/flashnf.htm (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 02:12 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,868,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I think people have missed the point. It is more so that the media is in bed with their candidate. Maybe not mutually, but they slant to their side and it has been something that has been pointed out for quite a while. Not surprised the bobble heads would come in and defend it to the last breath. That's why they call them "sheep".
No, we got that point. You can only make that claim if you think both campaigns have been run successfully. To which, is completely subjective. So in essence, the "study" is flawed. You can't assign a measurable to something that is immeasurable.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:14 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,962,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
And guess what?????

According to the radio, no one is watching the news nor reading the newspaper anymore because of all the slant and lies in journalism.

I would say before that, but you are correct, this election put the nail in the coffin. It is a joke. When you hear something from the news and you have to go to the transcripts and then verify everything they say, yeah, I would say it is more than done. I hope they sink into the crap hole they made for themselves. They are nothing but a joke to me.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:15 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,780,991 times
Quote:
And guess what?????

According to the radio, no one is watching the news nor reading the newspaper anymore because of all the slant and lies in journalism.

Ha, no. Newspaper subscriptions and Network News viewership is down because people just get their news from the internet.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
No, we got that point. You can only make that claim if you think both campaigns have been run successfully. To which, is completely subjective. So in essence, the "study" is flawed. You can't assign a measurable to something that is unmeasurable.
They can assess many aspects of reporting based on simple logic. Do they tell the truth of an issue such as the facts or do the insert emotional indicators with their claims. Do they report all and in context or do they report partially to lean to a position.

If you think they have, well here is a bridge, a good loan with an amazing minimum payment and a promise to give you all your heart desires. /boggle

Old 10-22-2008, 02:21 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,077,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Ha, no. Newspaper subscriptions and Network News viewership is down because people just get their news from the internet.
Actually, I can't stand foxnews, cnn, NYT, Washington post, cbsnews, etc. - basically all the news sources I used to respect. I don't even trust anything from the Associated Press anymore.

They all killed ethics in journalism during this election.

It will take many many years - decades before I can trust them again if they ever follow the ethics in journalism.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:28 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,608,421 times
It is simply very difficult to find something positive to say about McBush. Let's see, he cheated on his crippled wife, he was part of the Keating scandal, he hung out with and supported all of Bush's crazy ideas, he picked Palin who is basically an idiot, he riled up the public with his lies and innuendos. What can be said that is positive??? Oh, that's right, I forgot. He was a hero 50 years ago. Oh well.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Actually, I can't stand foxnews, cnn, NYT, Washington post, cbsnews, etc. - basically all the news sources I used to respect. I don't even trust anything from the Associated Press anymore.

They all killed ethics in journalism during this election.

It will take many many years - decades before I can trust them again if they ever follow the ethics in journalism.
I don't think it will return again to be honest, not without a lot of bloodshed and people actually having to fight for it. People have found that lies are more profitable than truth and it will continue as such until they are all swinging from a tree. Regardless of your beliefs, people lack simple moralistic cores these days. Anything goes, as long as we win. It is sickening.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:42 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,868,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
They can assess many aspects of reporting based on simple logic. Do they tell the truth of an issue such as the facts or do the insert emotional indicators with their claims. Do they report all and in context or do they report partially to lean to a position.

If you think they have, well here is a bridge, a good loan with an amazing minimum payment and a promise to give you all your heart desires. /boggle
simple logic = subjective
"truth" when it comes to politics = subjective
"facts" in a campaign = subjective
"report all" = all what? What is all? = subjective
in context = subjective
last paragraph = sorry to hear you got burned by a bridge loan. I've done 2 in my lifetime and came out ahead both times. In the right circumstances I'd do it again.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
simple logic = subjective
You have no clue of what you are talking about? Look up logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections