Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:19 AM

38,711 posts, read 26,515,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
You are so right on the vouchers. He made no apologies and also made the ignorant remark that vouchers don't work.
DoE increased spending increased 58% under GWB with a 5% increase scheduled for next year. Our kids continue to test near the bottom of industrialized nations. When Sen. McCain pressed OB on the issue in the last debate, OB said he wanted to create a public education system so good that vouchers would be unnecessary. Right!

The overwhelming majority of American want school vouchers. Barry says no! Don't look for any help from the democratic house or senate either.

Thank you NEA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 09:21 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,676,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I agree that "white" wasn't necessary looking at it now years later, but he certainly was not "race-baiting" as the OP's thread title claims. Obama's point was that everyone needs to take responsibility. Interpeting it as race-baiting only highlights the OP's own anxiety about race.
You have to admit though, by obamas choice of including 'white' it does echo reverend wrights sentiments.....it doesn't lead itself to inclusiveness, and rightly so.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:23 AM

425 posts, read 667,573 times
Quote:
I agree that "white" wasn't necessary looking at it now, but he certainly was not "race-baiting" as the OP's thread title claims. Obama's point was that everyone needs to take responsibility. Interpeting it as race-baiting only highlights the OP's own anxiety about race.
First: You have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to ME

Second: How in the heck was I "race-baiting" when all I did was post a quote by "The One" himself?

Third: Please tell me why "white executives that live in the suburbs need to be 'responsible' and pay for inner city kids to go to school?" (Not to mention that they already are)

Old 10-24-2008, 09:24 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,326,000 times
Quote:
"I think whether or not my children or your children will have to struggle with these same issues depends on what we do, and whether we take some mutual responsibility for bridging the divisions that exist right now. And I really want to emphasize the word 'responsibility.' I think that whether you are a white executive living out in the suburbs, who doesn’t want to pay taxes to inner-city children for them to go to school, or you’re an inner-city child who doesn’t want to take responsibility for keeping your street safe and clean, both of those groups have to take some responsibility if we’re going to get beyond the kinds of divisions that we face right now."
You agree he said it, and it was taken out of context. That is different than others here who claim he did not say it.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:25 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,315,902 times
Default They don't in the longer term sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
You are so right on the vouchers. He made no apologies and also made the ignorant remark that vouchers don't work.
Vouchers are a band-aid...they do not fix the real issues regarding a failing district that children can't be sent to...It leaves thousands out in the cold and doesn't solve the ACTUAL problem of their public school system stinking to high heaven. What makes more sense, fixing the actual root of the problem, or funding a lottery that leaves thousands dissappointed and removes the academic-minded families from a system already in bad shape? How about fixing what is already being funded? That being said, I would definitely try and get my children into a private school or voucher program if my school system stunk...what responsible parent would not? But as a long-term issue it means not only are you paying for the public school system, now you have to pay for vouchers on top of that, and the public system continues to fail. Fix the actual problem.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:28 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,676,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post
I think the entire statement is even more damning...

Personal responsibility? Why is it MY responsibility to take care of inner city kids and pay to have them go to school? Can't I take care of my own kids and community (notice I didn't mention race or color here)

Right now I am living in the suburbs and approximately 60% of my taxes go to the nearest City - has there even been any improvement - he11 no!

The so called "leaders" of this Cess Pool City (Democrats, of course) squander the money on "social programs" that aren't measurable, don't work, and/or they line a crony's pocket.

Great programs that DO work and are measurable (Girl and Boy Scouts, for example) are tossed aside by the liberals.

I'm sick to death of this "social" crap and it breaks my heart to see our great Country crumble
I was just glad to see a politician use the word 'responsibility'. It's so rare these days.....
At anyrate, I do agree with you that the school system is in shambles and that has much less to do with 'white businessmen' and more to do with liberals throwing experimental programs against the wall to see what will stick all the while sending their kids to private schools that teach with old school methods.
Makes you think, doesn't it?

Old 10-24-2008, 09:29 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,277,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey;5833421OB said he wanted to cre[b
ate a public education system so good that vouchers would be unnecessary. Right![/b]
How sad that people in this country would feel this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The overwhelming majority of American want school vouchers. Barry says no! Don't look for any help from the democratic house or senate either.

Thank you NEA!
And what do you think will happen to the kids who dont get vouchers and whose public schools are not improved?

"Who cares," right? Except that's what "we"'ve been saying for years.

Why dont parents who want vouchers just pay for private school education like everyone else - with grants and scholarships and their own money - instead of relying on The Government to take care of them? Hmmm. I guess some people are more special than others.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:33 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,496,042 times
Quote:
I agree that "white" wasn't necessary looking at it now years later, but he certainly was not "race-baiting" as the OP's thread title claims. Obama's point was that everyone needs to take responsibility. Interpeting it as race-baiting only highlights the OP's own anxiety about race.
The Chicago Public School system, which is one of the worst in the nation, currently spends over $10,000 per year per pupil. Just how much more 'responsibility' do you feel taxpayers should assume? It seems to me to be quite apparent that shaking down suburbanites for ever increasing amounts of money has not led to significant improvement in inner city schools.

The people who need most to take responsibility for the trainwreck that our once excellent public school system has become are the people who made it that way in the first place- the liberals and their Democratic supporters who launched various harebrained schemes such as 'whole language'.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:44 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,496,042 times
Quote:
How sad that people in this country would feel this way.

And what do you think will happen to the kids who dont get vouchers and whose public schools are not improved?

"Who cares," right? Except that's what "we"'ve been saying for years.

Why dont parents who want vouchers just pay for private school education like everyone else - with grants and scholarships and their own money - instead of relying on The Government to take care of them? Hmmm. I guess some people are more special than others.
In view of the fact that he is in the pocket of the NEA, who IMO bear the brunt of the responsibility for the pathetic state of our school system, how is the One going to go about making changes? How is throwing more of suburban executive's money at inner city schools going to somehow cause the many students and their parents who do not give a damn to suddenly take an interest in education?

Old 10-24-2008, 09:44 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,277,307 times
Quote:
First: You have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to ME

Second: How in the heck was I "race-baiting" when all I did was post a quote by "The One" himself?
It's the quote you chose and the interpretation, the spin, you gave it in order to make your point. Your spin is to cherrypick a quote and offer it as an example of Obama deliberately race-baiting. But when your quote is seen in context it's clear that he's not race-baiting.

This was important enough to you for you to go to the trouble of making a thread about it. I dont know about you of course and wouldnt want to, but the points we try to make in the threads we create certainly do say something about us.

Quote:
Third: Please tell me why "white executives that live in the suburbs need to be 'responsible' and pay for inner city kids to go to school?" (Not to mention that they already are)
Well, as you say they already are. Obama's point was just that we should help each other - include instead of exclude. He didnt say pay MORE taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections