Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:08 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,351,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I would love to know exactly what, then, do people like about this guy??? I've asked before, what "change" is he planning on bringing and how, but was never answered, only ridiculed. Maybe someone can answer this question? Who knows?

I know he scares me to death. I wish there were other choices this year.
Sarah Palin scares me. Talk about taking America back to the 17th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 12:09 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,186,811 times
Why do you call yourselves "The Silenced Majority"? Are you some sort of victim group?

Old 10-25-2008, 12:10 PM

858 posts, read 1,502,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
So your voting for the VP and not the actual president then?

Old 10-25-2008, 12:11 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,186,811 times
Every single one of those "points," except the first, is based in a lie or - the last - is a brainless nonsequitur. Maybe that's why you feel silenced, because in the face of facts you have nothing left to say?

Old 10-25-2008, 12:13 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,614,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Yes, an example of bad decision-making on McCain's part. He can't even pick a decent VP; surely there were better picks within the Republican party. That's what you get for gut decisions. Well the VP decision and the fact that he is a totally different person from the person he was in 2000--scary transformation.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:15 PM

306 posts, read 1,162,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Why do you call yourselves "The Silenced Majority"? Are you some sort of victim group?

If they are the majority then why are they so behind in the polls? I know not a single soul who is voting for Bush...er McCain.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:18 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
In all seriousness, may I ask why you chose Obama over Mccain?
For me, he is a post Viet Nam era candidate.
He is an educated man who did what I was taught to be the ideal. Get a good education, work for your community, put back some of the blessings you benefited from, continue to use your talents in the most effective manner. Build a solid relationship with your wife, your family, and your community. Raise your kids in home with values that include spirituality, empathy and social justice.
He is like me. He works hard to keep all the balls in the air and he sees the light ahead as well as the danger and can think about both at the same time. He has built an organization that values its people from the ground up and he has reached out to the world community to come back and support the US efforts.
If we have to pay a little more in taxes, as our fathers and mothers did in WWII to bring about a better America, then we will, for our kids, but I am not seeing that in his proposal, but if I am lucky enough to be that comfortable,then I will pay for my kid's future and your security.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:21 PM

858 posts, read 1,502,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
For me, he is a post Viet Nam era candidate.
He is an educated man who did what I was taught to be the ideal. Get a good education, work for your community, put back some of the blessings you benefited from, continue to use your talents in the most effective manner. Build a solid relationship with your wife, your family, and your community. Raise your kids in home with values that include spirituality, empathy and social justice.
He is like me. He works hard to keep all the balls in the air and he sees the light ahead as well as the danger and can think about both at the same time. He has built an organization that values its people from the ground up and he has reached out to the world community to come back and support the US efforts.
If we have to pay a little more in taxes, as our father's and mother's did in WWII to bring about a better America, then we will, for our kids, but I am not seeing that in his proposal, but if I am lucky enough to be that comfortable,then I will pay for my kid's future and your security.
Ok but the people he associates with or any of the other problems with him are of no concern to you? I mean seriously, people just brush all his problematic under the rug.

You do want to keep your second amendment right?
Do you believe in social health care? It sure doesn't work for Canada.
The fact that he said the us people need to learn spanish, not the illegals learn english is BULL****!

2,195 posts, read 3,643,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
1. Go to Wikipedia
2. Search for "Barack Obama"
3. Read
4. Follow outside links to verify information for yourself

And here is an article about how Wikipedia is just as accurate as the Encyclopedia Britannica: Study: Wikipedia as accurate as Britannica - CNET News
1) 50 science articles, and nothing else.
2) The Britannica articles were not in their original form when passed along.
3) 31% greater error rate in the Wikipedia articles, even by Nature's conclusions.

Belatedly, Britannica lambastes Wikipedia findings - CNET News
Quote:
According to Britannica, Nature sent out re-edited, rearranged and truncated versions of Britannica entries to reviewers and included samples that were not even from its encyclopedia texts. Britannica also accuses Nature editors of failing to verify its reviewers' findings of inaccuracy, saying that in many cases the findings were scientifically or factually wrong.

For example, one reviewer in the Nature article said that Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar's "Principles of Stellar Dynamics" was published in 1943, not 1942 as its Britannica entry states. Britannica disputes the charge, citing the Library of Congress as its primary source.

"This study has been cited all over the world, and it's invalid," Dale Hoiberg, Britannica's editor in chief, said in a statement. "We have never claimed that Britannica is error-free, but Nature attributed to us dozens of inaccuracies that simply were not inaccuracies at all. We practice strong scholarship, reasoned judgment, and continuous editorial review, and we publish a reliable, high-quality encyclopedia. By its flawed analysis and false accusations, Nature did us a great disservice."

So, yes, follow the outside links and references.

11,135 posts, read 14,203,422 times
People need to take a chill pill here. Not in one single place in the topic header did I see mention of any other member on this forum.

STAY ON TOPIC! for petes sake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections