Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 08:09 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,472,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
My prediction is that Obama will take this country into deep recession — regardless of the signs out there.
Uh, the signs out there already say "severe recession," so Obama doesn't have to take us anywhere. Sadly, we've already made the trip.

Quote:
His agenda is to socialize this country at any cost. The stock market understands this, and the current recession is the evidence. Seeing this was on the way, I dumped my stocks almost 2 years ago, and benefitted from a healthy profit.
Wow. What's up Nostradamus! So you saw Obama was going to be elected two years ago-- when Bush was in office-- and sold all your stocks? Hope you put that money in Vegas in 2006 to bet on Obama as the Democratic nominee, you would've made a KILLING.

Quote:
My other prediction is that after Obama fleeces his voters for all he can and the economy is in shambles, there will be millions of people — many of them posting most obnoxiously on this forum — who will deny that they voted for this fraud.
Substitute the name "Bush" for Obama in the above quote and your prediction is ENTIRELY CORRECT!! Congratulations again on your prophesies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 08:11 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,992,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Every time the economy takes another hit, Obama's poll numbers go up.

The funny thing is, I don't really believe either McCain or Obama can save us from what's coming. The only thing Obama might have over McCain in that regard is a better ability to look calm and encourage people to tough it out with dignity and courage. (Guess that counts for something.)

It's weird how McCain spent so much time ranting about stuff other than the economy when the economy was the only Gorilla sitting in most American's living rooms.
Exactly! McCain could theoretically make the situation better because in his heart he probably believes in less government and more free market, but there are too many things working against him, like his liberal warmongering tendencies that would drain our treasury, his ties to Federal Reserve cronies/goons, etc.

Since we apparently have to live within a financial dictatorship vis-a-vis a central bank with increasing power along with the Treasury dept. to unconstituionally nationalizing local banks and absorbing them into overindebted weak ones, we might as well have a great orator instead of a senile old fool.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:12 AM

425 posts, read 1,094,709 times
Quote:
Every time the economy takes another hit, Obama's poll numbers go up.

The funny thing is, I don't really believe either McCain or Obama can save us from what's coming. The only thing Obama might have over McCain in that regard is a better ability to look calm and encourage people to tough it out with dignity and courage. (Guess that counts for something.)

It's weird how McCain spent so much time ranting about stuff other than the economy when the economy was the only Gorilla sitting in most American's living rooms.
I have to agree. No matter who wins, they're inheriting a big fat mess. What amazes me is that the McCain campaign still doesn't get it. They're still doing robocalls about Bill Ayers. It's ridiculous.

When prominent and respected members of his own party have openly said they can't endorse McCain because he hasn't focused on the real issues, and he continues on the same path, what are reasonable Americans supposed to think?

If you smash your thumb with a hammer, and it hurts, and you keep smashing your thumb with the hammer expecting a different result....

Old 10-25-2008, 12:48 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,588,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie C. View Post
I have to agree. No matter who wins, they're inheriting a big fat mess. What amazes me is that the McCain campaign still doesn't get it. They're still doing robocalls about Bill Ayers. It's ridiculous.

When prominent and respected members of his own party have openly said they can't endorse McCain because he hasn't focused on the real issues, and he continues on the same path, what are reasonable Americans supposed to think?

If you smash your thumb with a hammer, and it hurts, and you keep smashing your thumb with the hammer expecting a different result....
I know Obama will be inheriting a financial mess - but the good news is he will have a clear public mandate to take action to correct it - and the congress will be behind him.

I actually think he will make great progress in re-regulating the financial markets, in growing the economy, rebuilding our infrastructure, and producing more jobs.

After all, Bill Clinton inherited a deficit from Bush Sr, and he turned it into a surplus. Taxes will and should go up to reduce the national debt. And the deficit can be reduced by eliminating programs that don't work, and most importantly, bringing ALL our troops back from Iraq - that's at least $130BILLION in annual savings!!!

So, don't think that Obama will be a failure because of the absolute disaster that Bush and the Republicans have left him.

I believe he is the one person who can rally us to fix what is broken, lay the foundation for a strong economic recovery - one in which the working class benefits from this time...

Old 10-25-2008, 12:56 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,483,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie C. View Post

Clearly, he is totally out of touch with America. Who cares about Bill Ayers? I don't. Most people I talk to DO NOT CARE ABOUT BILL AYERS. People are looking at their pocketbooks and 401ks and McCain is barely addressing these issues. McCain deserves to lose.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:01 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,588,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
Clearly, he is totally out of touch with America. Who cares about Bill Ayers? I don't. Most people I talk to DO NOT CARE ABOUT BILL AYERS. People are looking at their pocketbooks and 401ks and McCain is barely addressing these issues. McCain deserves to lose.
You know why he can't talk about the issues - don't you? Because most of the American public does not like his stand on the issues.

McCain's own campaign manager said weeks ago that if McCain continued to talk about the economy, he was toast. So they bring up Ayers, Joe the Plumber, and a bunch of other subjects to hope something gets traction and people forget about the economy.

The reason it will not work is that the public sees every single day - on the news, in the papers, on the radio - what a mess the economy is and how it is getting worse, not better, and they are scared and angry.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:04 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,483,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
You know why he can't talk about the issues - don't you? Because most of the American public does not like his stand on the issues.

McCain's own campaign manager said weeks ago that if McCain continued to talk about the economy, he was toast. So they bring up Ayers, Joe the Plumber, and a bunch of other subjects to hope something gets traction and people forget about the economy.

The reason it will not work is that the public sees every single day - on the news, in the papers, on the radio - what a mess the economy is and how it is getting worse, not better, and they are scared and angry.
Exactly. Most people with an ounce of intelligence can see through the "BULL". He and Palin sound ridiculous bringing up irrelevant issues such as Ayers. The Joe the Plumber gimmick is beyond ridiculous....

Old 10-25-2008, 04:14 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,620,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
Exactly. Most people with an ounce of intelligence can see through the "BULL". He and Palin sound ridiculous bringing up irrelevant issues such as Ayers. The Joe the Plumber gimmick is beyond ridiculous....

Most people don't want to see through the 'BULL'. For them it's 'my party, love it or leave it'.

What gets me is the number of middle class and poor who vote Republican year in /year out. They are their own worst enemies - because the party doesn't give a damn about them after election day...

And yes, this economy will probably result in the largest national election landslide since WWII. The Republicans can't possibly fight the tsunami of voter anger over the economy.

I personally think the Republican party will be a minority party for at least another generation...

This statement comes from someone who was formerly a life-long Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections