Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:06 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,656,592 times

Advertisements

The Electoral College if in place for the same reason other checks and balances are in place in our government laws. It is to keep our government from falling apart. Leave it alone.

Considering all those polls saying Obama is in the lead, it kind of makes me really glad there is a chance the Electoral College may not go this way.

Two-thirds of the people voting for him don't know why. It is just the popular thing to do. Makes you wonder about the intelligence of some of the voters. Our statistics will support my opinion on this. Check out our placement in world education. Obama's rules did not create any positive change in education when he used much government money to enact them.

Well, it is your vote and your mistake to make. Glad my generation did better than this. You will have to live with your choices and I will have to live with them for just a little while. I think I remember my mother saying things like this when Kennedy was running for president. I now realize she was right. I think we will look back and see that was the start of corruption in government and the downfall of the United States. I am thankful we had a few good years in there between the corruptive Democrats.

Last edited by NCN; 10-25-2008 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 11:10 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,064,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I agree. There is no way that some states would ever be blue if it wasn't for the urban areas. That tells us all a lot.
Using this logic, 25% of the American population should have the sole role in deciding Presidential races. 75% of the American public live in urban areas, the US hasn't been a Frank Capra movie for some time now.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:17 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,338,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The Electoral College if in place for the same reason other checks and balances are in place in our government laws. it is to keep our government from falling apart. Leave it alone.
I don't see the electoral college as a checks and balance, I see it as a past way of tallying votes, but that was put in place WAY before such telecommunications and computers were even invented. It is now very out dated and no longer makes sense. Two easy to manipulate by the dishonest.
Then again, computer systems are way to easy to manipulate by the dishonest, but there has got to be a better way.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:22 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,965,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Do away with the EC and you have a handful of states who determine the president. Cali, NY, Florida, etc.
That fits in fine with the type of system they want. Keep in mind, they think the constitution is a living breathing document meant to be changed by the will of the majority to fit the times (rather majority demands), it isn't surprising they would want the majority of the cities to decide rights and policy, they keep telling us they are smarter anyway.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:30 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,994,056 times
Quote:
Did George Bush win with only rural votes the second time?
CNN.com Election 2004

This link from 2004 digs down county by county for each state.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:31 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,656,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I don't see the electoral college as a checks and balance, I see it as a past way of tallying votes, but that was put in place WAY before such telecommunications and computers were even invented. It is now very out dated and no longer makes sense. Two easy to manipulate by the dishonest.
Then again, computer systems are way to easy to manipulate by the dishonest, but there has got to be a better way.

The electoral college is a little bit more than a way to tally votes. It is in place to make it possible to get a president even if something happened such as a presidental candidate being found to not qualify according to our United States laws. I think there is a great possibility that it will have to be used in that way this year. This election is far from over even if Obama does win at the polls. I was hoping he would give the courts the information they asked for. His not doing that tells me a lot. If he had the proof, why would he not present it and take the cloud off his qualifications. That the case was dismissed means absolutely nothing in light of the fact that he did not present information the court asked for.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:37 AM

2,072 posts, read 6,701,611 times
Default McCain/Palin 2008 for a safe Change

Well if obama is ahead , which i believe he is! Then lets get out there are collect more votes for McCain/Palin!

This country is in bad enough shape, we cant risk it with obama! The man is tied to way to many odd people plus what experience does he have? None!!

McCain/Palin 2008!

If you like obama that much then on nov 5 get out and vote!!

Old 10-25-2008, 01:57 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,338,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
If you like obama that much then on nov 5 get out and vote!!
ROFL!!! Yes, that is right! This year they have changed the voting date to Nov 5th!

Old 10-25-2008, 02:07 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,139,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I understand what you are saying, but you are missing my point. If computers were used to tally votes, state lines would have no consequences. If 500,000,000 people voted Dem and 400,000,000 people voted Repub, Dem win, not matter what state they are from. vote to vote counts.

If you had those totals someone has stolen election~ that is 3 times the US population~ and not all the population can vote for various reasons such as being in a stroller!

Old 10-25-2008, 02:14 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,675,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am thankful we had a few good years in there between the corruptive Democrats.
Respectfully, What parallel universe are you living in??? I don' t recall the last 8 years being good for anyone--war, economy, environment, morale of people, foreign relations...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections