Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:32 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,463,176 times

Advertisements

Despite what many democrats here will think, the majority of CD posters back in the primary season who voted republican were not for McCain.

Seeing as I am not for McCain, and he was the bottom two of my choices, I was severely disappointed in his nomination. I decided if it were him or Ghouliani, I'd just not vote this election season. Well, when he picked Palin, a conservative, I changed my mind, but I still think he was a poor choice.

My only hope was that he would have the balls to pull off a successful smear campaign, seeing his past and knowing his anger. However, he hasn't even been able to pick up on many of Obama's biggest flaws. If he had hammered on these traits, he might actually have a chance.

I don't understand why republicans thought they could win by voting for a candidate who is not a conservative.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:36 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,476,809 times
Here is hoping that the party can learn from past mistakes...It seems to me that BOTH parties are having severe issues trying to produce a candidate that ANYONE feels good about anymore.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:41 AM

289 posts, read 362,651 times
Wow Your qualifications in a Leader is pretty low I'd say. Hoping he could pull off a good smear campaign. Your qualifications for the next leader of your Country is pretty sad Kinda like scraping the bottom of the barrel but if he can talk smack and destroy the other guy you'd vote for him. This is what is wrong with your Country. He can't talk about the issues for sure as he would lose even more votes. But to lie and smear someone is okay with you. To pick a running mate like Palin over say Romney is okay. Wow all I can say is it may have been a different kind of race if he had of picked Romney but now you will never know will you.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:41 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,183,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Despite what many democrats here will think, the majority of CD posters back in the primary season who voted republican were not for McCain.

Seeing as I am not for McCain, and he was the bottom two of my choices, I was severely disappointed in his nomination. I decided if it were him or Ghouliani, I'd just not vote this election season. Well, when he picked Palin, a conservative, I changed my mind, but I still think he was a poor choice.

My only hope was that he would have the balls to pull off a successful smear campaign, seeing his past and knowing his anger. However, he hasn't even been able to pick up on many of Obama's biggest flaws. If he had hammered on these traits, he might actually have a chance.

I don't understand why republicans thought they could win by voting for a candidate who is not a conservative.
What makes you think they wanted to win....I think they're cleaning house and they threw out the worthless trash, McCain, first...to have a new start in 2012. They hated and smeared him in 2000 and 2004, why would they like him now?

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 10-26-2008 at 08:09 AM..

Old 10-26-2008, 06:43 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,601,960 times
Quote:
My only hope was that he would have the balls to pull off a successful smear campaign
why would you want that? wouldnt you want the person with the better values and plan to win?

Old 10-26-2008, 06:59 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,984,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
why would you want that? wouldnt you want the person with the better values and plan to win?
Exactly. This has been the problem with the GOP campaign all along. They weren't promoting ideas or solutions, or any sort of reason to vote FOR their candidate. Aaron's only hope for McCain was that his anger management problems might make him great at a smear campaign. That's very telling... and frankly, it's pathetic.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,063,534 times
I don't think it was about the presidency from the start. I think they put up McCain with the idea he'd fail but if he somehow wins that's ok too.
I think they're looking at congress in 2 years and seeing that it's more important to have the majority in both houses than it is to have the presidency.
Think about it, they're giving the dems a very big poop pile to deal with and no matter who's elected president odds are they're not going to be very popular for the first couple of years after the honeymoon wears off in about 6months.
Whoever it is will have to make some real crappy choices, will NOT be able to implement most of the spending programs they're both promising due to a fragile economy and you'll see many shouts of "you lied when you promised xxx in the campaign".
As for raising our stature with the rest of the world, I don't care if Jesus was elected the middle east will still see us as the great satan (we aren't muslim), North Korea is still run by a wack job, the KGB is still in control of Russia and Iran, well, it's still Iran and will continue on the path they've been on for the last decade.
Biden was right when he said Obama will be tested, they don't fear him as they did Regan (and Kennedy I think) and haven't feared a president since them. So if Obama bungles the tests of his will and policy it ain't the republican party who'll be blamed that's for sure and that's good for 2010 elections. What concerns me is if/when this test happens will Obama be more worried about how he's percieved and go against his stated platform or the safety of the country?
If he's faced with a choice of an armed response will he do it? What if there's an attack on our shores again which I think is a real possibility no matter who's elected?
Who do you think will get the blame if that happens? I'm not saying he will or won't, but I think that's one thing the repubs are thinking.

As for the economy, I don't believe he will be able to do much, neither would McCain because the same self serving crooks are runing congress, but to McCain's credit he at least said he'd get rid of Cox and company. I do wish Obama would pledge to do something with Dodd,Franks etc. for their follies. I'd feel better about his credibility for change if he did. I do believe that Pelosi and Reid will attempt to run things eventually and that DOES scare me, I don't know if Obama will have the chutzpah to go against the leaders of his party.
I do think we need both parties in some sort of power position for checks and balances even if it's Obama in the whitehouse and a republican house or senate. One party in total power is not good, take a look at the Carter years.
I would prefer a third party canidate for this go-round since it's my opinion niether canidate is suitable for what we're facing in the next few years.
So anyway, that's how we ended up with McCain, he was/is a sacrafice to the idea of "later"...

Old 10-26-2008, 07:47 AM

543 posts, read 1,457,632 times
I think he meant "truth" campaign. The media has ignored all the important questions about Obama, but they will eventually come out.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:59 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,800,577 times
Quote:

It is very simple- your party is filled with small minded religious bigot nutcases who could not bring themselves to vote for the "conservative" candidate because he was a Mormon.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:02 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,130,672 times
A person's values are personal. I want someone who will lead this country in a way that I can not only feel safe, but be able to comfortably keep a roof over my head and feed my family without having to win the lottery to do it. From the performance of the past 8 years, I just don't think the Rep care about that. They just care about winning an unwinnable war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.