Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 05:33 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,790,694 times

Advertisements

On February 5th, the day of the Super Tuesday caucus, a school-bus driver named Paul Maez arrived at his local polling station to cast his ballot. To his surprise, Maez found that his name had vanished from the list of registered voters, thanks to a statewide effort to deter fraudulent voting. For Maez, the shock was especially acute: He is the supervisor of elections in Las Vegas. Maez was not alone in being denied his right to vote. On Super Tuesday, one in nine Democrats who tried to cast ballots in New Mexico found their names missing from the registration lists. The numbers were even higher in precincts like Las Vegas, where nearly 20 percent of the county's voters were absent from the rolls.
Block the Vote : Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/23638322/block_the_vote - broken link)

Another tactic is removing American citizens from the voter registries for dubious reasons. Here in Colorado, for example, as reported by the New York Times, more than 37,000 names were purged from the registration database by the Republican Secretary of State Mike Coffman, who critics contend should have resigned his post from the conflict-of-interest when he won the Republican nomination to run for congress.
Political Issues Examiner: Obama could still lose election to McCain from GOP voter suppression or vote fraud
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/10/us...us&oref=slogin
Courts set back GOP voter suits - Lisa Lerer - Politico.com

It seems like the Republicans have resorted to suppressing the vote, in some cases as many as 20-30% of voters. Yet they still want to complain about fraudulent registrations that only result in actual fraudulent votes in extremely rare instances.

I call BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 05:52 PM

717 posts, read 1,954,699 times
Republicans know well that cheating is only way they can win at anything. They take mendaciousness, deceit, dishonesty and chicanery to new depths of depravity

Old 10-27-2008, 05:58 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Like I've posted about 20 times today, I am REPUBLICAN and my husband is INDEPENDENT and OUR names were dropped from the list of registered voters too. It's not some big scheme by Republicans. It's that election officials everywhere have been told that they have to make sure people who are registered are who they say they are. In my case, I have lived at the same address since 1986 and I have voted ever since I've lived here. But some kind of card was sent out to verify registration and I never got it; it got sent back to the election office. Since they didn't have a confirmation, they removed my husband and I from the polls.

It's not just DEMOCRATS being dropped from the list of voters, it is everyone who can't be verified as a registered voter. Someone(delusianne) posted on this board a few weeks ago that people needed to go to canivote.org and check their voter status. I did and saw that I'd been dropped and so had my husband. We re-registered before the Oct 20th deadline here.

Why do you assume it's something that is being done by Republicans to cheat Dems? If that were true, then my husband and I would NOT have been dropped, as we are Republican and Independent.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:04 PM

183 posts, read 255,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Why do you assume it's something that is being done by Republicans to cheat Dems?
probably 'cause it's happened in the last 2 elections...

Old 10-27-2008, 06:06 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,004 times
Quote:
Like I've posted about 20 times today, I am REPUBLICAN and my husband is INDEPENDENT and OUR names were dropped from the list of registered voters too. It's not some big scheme by Republicans. It's that election officials everywhere have been told that they have to make sure people who are registered are who they say they are. In my case, I have lived at the same address since 1986 and I have voted ever since I've lived here. But some kind of card was sent out to verify registration and I never got it; it got sent back to the election office. Since they didn't have a confirmation, they removed my husband and I from the polls.

It's not just DEMOCRATS being dropped from the list of voters, it is everyone who can't be verified as a registered voter. Someone(delusianne) posted on this board a few weeks ago that people needed to go to canivote.org and check their voter status. I did and saw that I'd been dropped and so had my husband. We re-registered before the Oct 20th deadline here.

Why do you assume it's something that is being done by Republicans to cheat Dems? If that were true, then my husband and I would NOT have been dropped, as we are Republican and Independent.
But didn't they have a record of you voting before? We only sent out cards to those who had not voted (in any election) in the last 10 years.

It just seems to happen too often.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
probably 'cause it's happened in the last 2 elections...
No it didn't. Bush won fair and square. But the truth is there IS cheating, and the Dems are not innocent where cheating is concerned. But in this case where people are saying that Democrats are being purged as a way to deny them the right to vote - well, I know that is bull because my husband and I were purged too and we are not Democrats!

Old 10-27-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
But didn't they have a record of you voting before? We only sent out cards to those who had not voted (in any election) in the last 10 years.

It just seems to happen too often.
Yes, they had a record of me voting before so I think that's EVEN MORE reason that I would not be dropped. But I was. And I am not Democrat. I had to re-register or I wouldn't have been able to vote.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:10 PM

343 posts, read 510,254 times
Quote:
No it didn't. Bush won fair and square.

hahahaha

ha

Old 10-27-2008, 06:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
i am pretty sure that the GOP attempt to win will come from voter fraud.
i think obama is prepared. GOP did this last presidential election and unfortunatly kerry was a gentleman, 10 trillion later lets not repeat.
obama 08

Old 10-27-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i am pretty sure that the GOP attempt to win will come from voter fraud.
i think obama is prepared. GOP did this last presidential election and unfortunatly kerry was a gentleman, 10 trillion later lets not repeat.
obama 08
It's not the GOP involved in ACORN and registering the homeless and taking them to vote in exchange for a meal or whatever. Where I come from that's buying votes and it's illegal....are those Dems down caring about the homeless the 4 years in between elections? Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections