Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 02:24 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,200,595 times

Advertisements

In a conservative radio interview that aired in Washington, D.C. Friday morning, Republican vice presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin said she fears her First Amendment rights may be threatened by "attacks" from reporters who suggest she is engaging in a negative campaign against Barack Obama.
"If [the media] convince enough voters that that is negative campaigning, for me to call Barack Obama out on his associations," Palin told host Chris Plante, "then I don't know what the future of our country would be in terms of First Amendment rights and our ability to ask questions without fear of attacks by the mainstream media."
"It's sort of perplexing to me, because I'm a practical person and plainspoken also, but just cutting to the chase and calling things like I see them, just like most Americans. But this has not left a bitter taste in my mouth, the bitter shots taken by the mainstream media and by some of the elitism there in Washington," Palin said.

Political Radar: Palin Fears Media Threaten Her First Amendment Rights
Have Palin's First Amendment rights been threatened? When we cut to the chase and ask questions, should we have to be prepared to answer "attacks"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 02:38 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,643,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
In a conservative radio interview that aired in Washington, D.C. Friday morning, Republican vice presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin said she fears her First Amendment rights may be threatened by "attacks" from reporters who suggest she is engaging in a negative campaign against Barack Obama.
"If [the media] convince enough voters that that is negative campaigning, for me to call Barack Obama out on his associations," Palin told host Chris Plante, "then I don't know what the future of our country would be in terms of First Amendment rights and our ability to ask questions without fear of attacks by the mainstream media."
"It's sort of perplexing to me, because I'm a practical person and plainspoken also, but just cutting to the chase and calling things like I see them, just like most Americans. But this has not left a bitter taste in my mouth, the bitter shots taken by the mainstream media and by some of the elitism there in Washington," Palin said.

Political Radar: Palin Fears Media Threaten Her First Amendment Rights
Have Palin's First Amendment rights been threatened? When we cut to the chase and ask questions, should we have to be prepared to answer "attacks"?
She is 100% right. The MSM cannot be trusted when they openly ply thier bias.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:41 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,242,015 times
Well, it's obvious these days that the First Amendment is accepted as long as what you say or express is Pro-Nobama, if it's anything other than that you are not treated or accepted very well. I can only imagine how difficult this has been for Palin, but she's a strong woman and has handled it extremely well. And she will not go down without a fight, and she will continue to stay strong even if McCain doesn't win.

3,695 posts, read 11,381,705 times
The governor of Alaska fails to understand the First Amendment. That is shameful.

Sarah, come here for a second. You have the right under the First Amendment to say pretty much whatever you want. And the press - or anyone else - has the right to hold you accountable for what you say. Having a right doesn't absolve you of the responsibility of accepting the consequences of exercising that right. You can question Obama's associations all you want, and the media and the anyone else can call you out on what you said.

Really, governor, you should have a basic understanding of rights if you are going to be an executive of one of our 50 states. You should be ashamed of your ignorance.

35,016 posts, read 39,200,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Should we be forced to answer their attacks? If we choose not to answer, they're just going to draw whatever conclusions they want.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:42 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,297,955 times
So deriding freedom of the media is going to help preserve the first amendment....

Sarah Palin really is the new conservative mind#&%!er.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:44 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,176,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
The governor of Alaska fails to understand the First Amendment. That is shameful.

Sarah, come here for a second. You have the right under the First Amendment to say pretty much whatever you want. And the press - or anyone else - has the right to hold you accountable for what you say. Having a right doesn't absolve you of the responsibility of accepting the consequences of exercising that right. You can question Obama's associations all you want, and the media and the anyone else can call you out on what you said.

Really, governor, you should have a basic understanding of rights if you are going to be an executive of one of our 50 states. You should be ashamed of your ignorance.
Let's repost before this gets stupid and people lose your comments.

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:47 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,617,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
[indent]In a conservative radio interview that aired in Washington, D.C. Friday morning, Republican vice presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin said she fears her First Amendment rights may be threatened by "attacks" from reporters who suggest she is engaging in a negative campaign against Barack Obama.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:47 PM

552 posts, read 1,074,409 times
Quote:
So what do you reckon, should "freedom of press" be nixed? That's a slippery slope if I ever saw one.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:51 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,381,705 times
Quote:
I thought you had to go to the tire store to get bias ply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections