Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 05:18 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,908,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffster View Post
Obamabots do not care. They want a democrat, any democrat, at any cost. The future is unimportant.
Coal is NOT the future in any way, shape or form. It's about as primitive a fuel as it gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 05:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,191,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
This is the latest BS from the right, the outrage timed perfectly to announce the day before the election and not give people time to research it and get the facts.
And this is where the left loses their argument. Everything negative against Obama is "BS from the right".. Even when the words come right from Obamas mouth..

Old 11-03-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Coal is NOT the future in any way, shape or form. It's about as primitive a fuel as it gets.
And its about as primitive as it gets with no alternative YET..

Old 11-03-2008, 05:22 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,873,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Obama plan jeopardizes thousands of coal jobs (OneNewsNow.com) (http://onenewsnow.com/Election2008/Default.aspx?id=308516 - broken link)

He does know that severe taxes on our power companies will make electricity even more expensive for us consumers, right?

So he's going to give us free money, but find other ways to have it taken away, that's classy.
Are you supporting McCain? And if so, are you completely oblivious to the fact that McCain favors almost the exact same program?

Old 11-03-2008, 05:23 PM

471 posts, read 808,245 times
Quote:
You've completely missed the point. Bankrupting the industry (his words) costing thousands of jobs and skyrocketing electricity rates (his words) is poor leadership. Alternative energy is great, but there's no need for that BS. What the hell kind of clown have you people picked??

Old 11-03-2008, 05:25 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,040,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Are you supporting McCain? And if so, are you completely oblivious to the fact that McCain favors almost the exact same program?
Actually I will be supporting Barr, the Libertarian party candidate, regardless of the current election I will remain a member of the Libertarians just like I always have.

And where is there video/audio proof that McCain supports bankrupting the coal/power companies? Links or it didn't happen.

We should at least perfect Alternative energy technology and slowly transition, not just bankrupt the coal companies all at once.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:27 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,288,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
While some day coal will need to go, you cant push it out the door if there is not a viable alternative, (which there isnt at the moment).

retrain them to work in alternative energy? You do understand that coal is a primary energy source, and solar and wind is a suplimental energy source? You cant train people to move from coal to wind/solar until the alternative energy is viable.

Unless your now proposing that Obama is holding back on new technology that only he knows about, taxing the coal industry to death is foolish..
Listen, I teach this stuff. I know what I'm talking about. I'm trying to share in the conversation here, on good faith.

Yes, coal is a primary energy source right now, and solar and wind are supplemental--in the extreme. But that is only because we have not put the full weight of our resources to get solar and wind and geothermal up and running. I still believe in the miracle of American ingenuity. I also still believe in the power of America to lead the world in innovative technology. I believe that we can turn this thing around in amazing ways--and do it in 10 years, maximum. I believe that we have it within our power to provide workers in the coal and oil industries a cleaner, better-paying way to make a living. Just THINK of the jobs that could be created if this infrastructure were put into place: engineers, architects, construction workers, retrained coal and oil workers to maintain and supervise operations. MUCH better salaries, as well. And nobody's health at risk--including the planet's. I believe that we have it within our power to save this planet for future generations. I have no children, but I am very, very concerned about the next generation. We have--maybe, if we're lucky--a good 20 years to turn it around. If we don't do it, we will be exceedingly sorry.

If that makes me a sap, so be it. But I believe that for your sake, as well as for mine.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times
Quote:

Here's a reality check:

1. Coal supplies more than 50% of the electricity this country consumes.
2. Coal is the cheapest form of energy to produce electricity by a wide margin.
3. There is currently nothing that can come even close to replacing it for the cost.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Wrong, McCain supports Cap and Trade, (in fact he wrote the Cap and Trade bill two years ago), unlike Obama who claims its "his program".

McCain supports Cap and Trade, Obama supports bankruptcy, and while I disagree with both, there is a BIG difference.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
If that makes me a sap, so be it. But I believe that for your sake, as well as for mine.
Yes, yes you are . I believe in reality, and until an alternative source comes along, you dont cut out your primary source of energy..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections