Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:14 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,982,872 times

Advertisements

Something beyond this one election to think of...but something that is about this and every election...this might sound cheesy but, after seeing NOTHING but negativity on this forum from both sides, I felt I had to say this, and have been thinking about saying this for awhile.

I was the biggest dork in highschool...never went to the prom, never was in sports, but I do remember, right after I graduated, another rite of passage: The first time I voted. I stood at that machine, pushed some buttons, and was about to push that one button marked "cast ballot" when something happened. For one brief moment, I was everywhere in this nation's history....

I saw a sixteen year old kid, starving at Valley Forge, desperately hoping that the "lost cause" wasn't lost. I was in DC in 1814, and smelled it burning and saw people struggling to put out the fire, while being shot at by Red coats. I was in Virginia, and saw a slave family, terrified and hiding in the heat of the day as they tried to escape north. I was in Antietam, and saw lines of men shot down on both sides. I was in a trench in 1918 in Europe, and saw a yound man die of Gangrene before he even saw battle.
I was in Boston a year later, and saw a young women marching for sufferage, her head held high and proud while a crowd of men bowed her loudly. I was in the pacific, and heard the cries of a hundred seamen as the Kamakazi took down their ship.
I was in Deutschland, and saw the grim determination on a soldier's face after Dachau was liberated, and the telling look that he knew he was doing the right thing. I was in a cockpit on a cargo plane, and heard the heavy breathing of an exasted pilot as he dropped yet another shipment of fuel to Berlin. I was on a mountain top in Korea, surrounded by the scream of the dying, and I was on a street in Alabama, as unarmed protesters faced dogs and thugs on a march toward freedom...

I saw it...I saw all the faces, struggles, and heardships faced by millions over the two centuries and three decades of America's existince, all so I could just move my hands a few inches and press the "cast ballot" button. I stopped for one moment, and looked up to the sky, and said the biggest understatement of my life, "thank you", before I cast the vote. They did it for me...they did it for us.

No matter what happens, who wins, or who you are voting for, think of them...those nameless, faceless millions how marched, struggled, faught against enemies, foreign and domestic, and lived and died for the freedom we have to make this choice. I ask you all, as cheesy as it might sound to some, before you cast that vote, to say a quick prayer of thanks to those who made this possible. I hope it was worth it ...and I hope that we, as a nation, can make them proud.

Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 08:19 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,807,662 times
Good post.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:13 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,982,872 times
8:10 eastern time...I'm off to vote...I still wish this thread had as many views as the "obama's a dirty muslim!" or the "McCain sucks!" threads, but ohh well.

"where ever there is liberty, there is my home"
-Benjamin Franklin.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:23 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,882,696 times
I was shot down in Vietnam taken prisoner in a Hanoi hell hole, starved, beaten and broken.

Country first

Old 11-04-2008, 07:21 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
I was shot down in Vietnam taken prisoner in a Hanoi hell hole, starved, beaten and broken.

Country first
But I was valuable, unlike so many other less fortunately born POWs, so I lived to go home. I got back to work after a year and a half, dumped the fam and embarked upon a new career. And now, forty years later, here we all are, my friends.

"Country First," my last and most effective slogan (dont remember "Reform. Prosperity. Peace"? We didnt think you would.), has a triple message. It reminds all you Joes out there that I was a POW, of course. And our tests proved that it emboldens your much appreciated paranoia, intolerance, xenophobia and blessed loyal ignorance that President Cheney and the late Permanent Republican Majority developed so diligently; Governor Palin and I give you our solemn promise that we and our well-paid shills intend to flatter, encourage, and maintain this very special mix of "Joeness" among real American families in every way possible for as long as we possibly can. But above all, we devoutly hope that "Country First" expresses the dream that we share with you - a commitment to continuing the selfish, mindless, heedless consumerism that has made our country what it is today. My friends, I thank you.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:26 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,467,387 times
Great reminder OP.

Not going to jump in on the baiting from either side. Thanks to those who sacrificed so we could vote.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:29 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,662,086 times
Always good to remember.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:32 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,193,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Great reminder OP.

Not going to jump in on the baiting from either side. Thanks to those who sacrificed so we could vote.
Amen.
That was beautifully said and my tears flowed freely. I'm about to walk out the door and vote and I'll keep your thoughts with me. Thanks for reminding us what it's really all about.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:23 AM

38 posts, read 105,943 times
Cool Beans.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:45 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,939,495 times
My thoughts go in the same direction everytime I vote, whether local or national elections.

Thanks, Punk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections