Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 01:29 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times

Advertisements

John McCain really did not lose this election, or at least was the major reason why. George Bush (and Sarah Palin) were the main reasons IMO.
With that being said, could any Repub, with Bush being so unpopular, have won in 2008?
My only one who I could think of, would have been Schwarzenegger, but of course, he could not have run.
Thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 01:34 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Obama was able to run, Schwarzeneger should be able to as well.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:39 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
McCain could have beaten Obama, but two things happened.

First, as you mentioned, was his dismal VP pick in the face of an economy that was already faltering when he had Romney, a man with economic credentials, to choose.

Second, the financial crisis blew up, and McCain's erratic behavior sealed his fate.

You people are too hung up on red herring issues, the main one being this party or that party, and that's the way the US ruling class wants you to be.

Good luck!

Old 11-05-2008, 01:43 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,447 times
I don't think any Republican would have been able to get past... the "Bush factor." Let's face it, he was drag on this campaign from the very beginning. Bush has done a lot of damage to the image of the Republican party (don't deny it, 'cause you know it's true). Also, when the economy goes bad, the party that's in office has the odds stacked against them - that's been evident since the early 1900's. It doesn't matter whose in office, if the economy takes a dive, that party WILL BE booted.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:45 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
John McCain really did not lose this election, or at least was the major reason why. George Bush (and Sarah Palin) were the main reasons IMO.
With that being said, could any Repub, with Bush being so unpopular, have won in 2008?
My only one who I could think of, would have been Schwarzenegger, but of course, he could not have run.
Thoughts.
I honestly don't think any Republican could have won tonight, the way everything that is currently wrong with this country has been laid at Bush's and the GOP's feet by the media pretty much painted a picture of defeat for us.

I saw so many people wearing shirts with the slogan "Yes We Can" on it and when I would ask them "Yes we can what?" They just got confused. It felt more like people were voting just to be part of something they perceived as the winner, similar to how many "fans" show up wearing the winning team of the super bowl year after year.

I don't think Obama will get a second term, but then again I didn't think McCain would have gotten a second term either. Way to many people have put expectations onto the presidency and I don't think four years will be enough to even start to fix the basic problems let alone the expectations of those who voted for Obama.

Meanwhile, the sun will rise tomorrow. The birds will still sing. Bread will still be on the shelves of your local grocery store. Life will go on.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:45 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
The Bush factor the Bush factor....When are people going to stop blaming Bush for everything and make everyone involved take responsibility for their part? Until we expect that of them, things will never change.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:46 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Palin killed the ticket.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:48 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,640 times
I seriously think it might have been a lot closer if not for Palin, and their erratic constant changing message.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:48 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
It would have been an uphill battle for any Republican, but John McCain made a lot of mistakes.

I've mentioned this many times, but I'll say it again. I was seriously considering voting for him before he picked Palin. I also looked at the health plans both candidates proposed, and I believe Obama's is better.

I have no idea why either of them would want to inherit such a mess.

One more thing. This might sound strange to people, but there were so many hateful and bigoted McCain supporters, that it also had an influence on my decision. I'm not only talking about the crowds at rallies, but the posters on boards. It made me look inside myself and wonder if I share some of that fear, that divisiveness, since there was a lot more going on here than just 2 men running for president. That's when I began to learn more about Obama and chose to support him instead.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:49 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
I disagree that Palin is a reason why he lost, I feel she's the one reason why he was able to remain close most of the way.

The bad economy and the bail out hurt McCain tremendously, I agree that Bush was also going to make it hard for any Republican to win as well.

I think McCain had it in him to beat Obama, but he did not run a very good campaign and you combine that with the things I mentioned above and it clearly sunk him on Election Day.

I'm not happy but it's over, and all the Republicans can do is work as hard as they did back in the late 70's and set themselves up with a strong candidate like Ronald Reagan who won by a landslide in 1980. The harder they work now at finding the right candidate the better their chances are in four years.

If they just sit back though and let the Mike Huckabee's of the world try and be their next nominee I don't like their chances. And I like Huckabee, but I use him as an example because they need someone stronger then that sort of candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections