Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:25 AM

945 posts, read 1,972,637 times

Advertisements

To start out with, I like both candidates personally. I disagree with both of their platforms, so I had no dog in this race. However, I have to ask this question:

Given an extremely unpopular war, the most unpopular President of all time, the worst financial crisis since the great depression, a housing meltdown, corporate and political greed everywhere and a huge "good feeling" toward electing the first black President, why on Earth was the popular vote so close? It seems that everything would have aligned toward a landslide popular vote, yet almost half the country voted against Obama.

Does this seem odd to anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 08:32 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,040,598 times
Why would the racist powers that be put in a black president? As a patsy?

Old 11-05-2008, 08:37 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
To start out with, I like both candidates personally. I disagree with both of their platforms, so I had no dog in this race. However, I have to ask this question:

Given an extremely unpopular war, the most unpopular President of all time, the worst financial crisis since the great depression, a housing meltdown, corporate and political greed everywhere and a huge "good feeling" toward electing the first black President, why on Earth was the popular vote so close? It seems that everything would have aligned toward a landslide popular vote, yet almost half the country voted against Obama.

It's not odd when 20% of White Americans ADMIT they would hesitate to vote for a Black person as President.

This is the reason there was no Bradley Affect - it was already factored into the election since those Whites who WERE racist simply used Rev Wright as an excuse not to vote for Obama - and were quite vocal about it. If Obama were White he would have won by even more.

Pretty simply really. I can't see why anyone would have a problem understanding it - unless of course they just don't WANT TO.

Ken

Old 11-05-2008, 08:37 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,479,945 times
Quote:

It's odd that you would ask this question. You still have people living in the "past". They don't want to see change. There are people in this country who would rather lose their job, lose their 401K, stay in wars we can't afford, than vote for a black Democrat. Look at GA, TX, MS, AL and all the other RED states. I pity these people. It is unfortunate that they don't even realize their philosophy is now seriously outdated. The Republicans need to go back and re-group. I'm not sure exactly what needs to change with their party, but they are in shambles right now.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:38 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,076,635 times
Half of the country is NOT stupid and wanted FREEDOM from government handouts that come from the rich.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:40 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:

Not odd at all. Many understand that the economy crashed the minute Democrats took over Congress. We also understand the Democratic involvement with the housing meltdown. The countries problems are not all Bush's fault..

Old 11-05-2008, 08:40 AM

877 posts, read 2,077,957 times
Quote:
That less than half of the voting public believes in the inherent authority and limitations on federal power in the Constitution?

It's not only odd, it's downright frightening.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:43 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,796 times
Quote:

No. Had Obama been white, it would of been a landslide for the popular vote as well.

7 million votes is a pretty decent margin though.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:48 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,479,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Not odd at all. Many understand that the economy crashed the minute Democrats took over Congress. We also understand the Democratic involvement with the housing meltdown. The countries problems are not all Bush's fault..
How were you able to type that without having a seizure? You can't be serious. Then again, you probably are serious and this is why you guys lost. You have no one to blame but yourselves. The country knew where to place the blame and removed the PROBLEM...

Old 11-05-2008, 08:48 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
No. Had Obama been white, it would of been a landslide for the popular vote as well.

7 million votes is a pretty decent margin though.
Yup, I'm certainly not going to complain.
Today is a GOOD day.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections