Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 01:36 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,343,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
Yep I am not talking to my mother and wont. It wasnt just her choice, but she said some things and her reasons for voting were not right but based on smears, fears and racism. not only that she kept sending me that stuff in my email, when I asked her to stop she wouldnt so I spam blocked her, so then she freaked I didnt answer a normal email.. hello??!

She also took my Obama sign. WTF!! Which she denies but funny it got stolen in the same hour she left my house.

I feel she voted for war and against help for my child who has autism by voting for mccain. Its my child who would have suffered while she was long dead by paying for 100 years of war and not having health insurance to boot.

IMO not a SINGLE politician in EITHER party could care less about your nor I or anyone else. Dont confuse speeches with real action.
Family is family you can count on them . Politicians are liars,crooks and parasites .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 01:38 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,963,025 times
The election was just this week, feelings are still raw. Things may feel differently by December, especially if you let the subject go. Let wounds heal. Try to forgive and try to be the bigger man, you'll be glad you did.

And if a family member's really being a jerk about politics by then--well, give her space. Her reaction may have to do with stress about the economy or some other problem. Try to get together next year if you don't get together this year. Family is too important to let a political disagreement tear it apart.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:38 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,577,395 times
If my family was so fractured that they can't get along for the holidays several weeks after the fact, then they probably wouldn't be worth hanging around to begin with. I'd tell them to blow it out their ass. Then I'd stay home, get me a bottle of Jack and some Cokes, and have myself a merry little Christmas.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
True, but since we voted differently this year, we were labeled as "ignorant". So the conversation will definitely be forced in that direction...it's happened before...on other issues.

I would love to stay with the weather as a conversation piece. But it never works out that way, unfortunately.
With my own family it's not a problem although there are some who are more libertarian leaning and some more conservative leaning so there are good debates. It's in-laws and co-workers that are the problem. When they try to start something political, I just say I don't feel like talking politics. If they persist I don't answer and change the subject. The problem is -- most don't want to hear your views, they are attempting to convert you.

To me the internet has become the best place to discuss politics. Or fight about it or whatever. Family and workplace -- it's just too problematic.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 PM

355 posts, read 555,464 times
My mom is a republican and my dad is a democrat. Although they aren't married to each other now they were married for 25 years. Politics was not a fighting point with them. I grew up in a house that was tolerant of differing view points. Lucky me. Now it seems that civility and respect within families and in the general population has erroded. How very sad. We are registered as independent in our house. My husband and I did not vote for the same person for president. Neither one of us feels that is a problem. Our extremely large family has people of differing religions and political views. We just don't talk about it to each other. Maybe it's all about respect and love for each other, and Family trumps everything even politics.

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
With my own family it's not a problem although there are some who are more libertarian leaning and some more conservative leaning so there are good debates. It's in-laws and co-workers that are the problem. When they try to start something political, I just say I don't feel like talking politics. If they persist I don't answer and change the subject. The problem is -- most don't want to hear your views, they are attempting to convert you.

To me the internet has become the best place to discuss politics. Or fight about it or whatever. Family and workplace -- it's just too problematic.
That is so true. Best not to ruin relationships fighting about something neither of you can change or that may never directly affect you anyway.

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
Um, no. Family's much more important than politics, IMHO.
I agree. Don't you be the ones to bring it up, and don't get into it if someone else does. My neighbor (McCain) went to a block party where she stated up front, "If anyone talks about politics, I'm going home". An Obama supporter tried and another BO supporter shut them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes but you can just leave politics out completely of any converstation or stop it before it starts.

There are other topics of converation -- weather -- that's usually safe enough.
Agreed. Kids, football, pets, what have you.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:42 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,272,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
...mine included.

The Holidays will not be the same this year.
(We may not even attend.)

Anyone else's family relationships suffering from the fallout?
My FIL is a crazy conservative <big Hanity fan>. Politics are not to be mentioned by anyone at Thanksgiving because we don't want to get him started.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:43 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,028,427 times
Well you can always leave if it gets too heated
or tell people up front you would love to spend the holidays with them as family with the caveat that no politics be discussed, so get agreement up front no political talk else don't go or leave on the spot..

Old 11-06-2008, 01:43 PM

877 posts, read 2,078,344 times
I can only think of one misguided soul in my family who voted for Obama. We generally avoid political discussions, but he insisted on bringing it up for the last few months. This week he has been gloating to his mother about Obama's win nonstop. He said he voted for Obama because he feels bad for all the people who don't have jobs and have to rely on government support.

This year for Christmas we will be buying the rest of the family regular gifts. We will be sending the money we normally spend on him to a local soup kitchen. He will get a nice card tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections