Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 04:26 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,293,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
You DO realize, don't you, that a university education rises substantially each year, banks are now getting out of the business of student loans and such loans are harder to find, the Pell Grant hasn't been increased in a long time, the Stafford Loan doesn't make much of a dent in the actual cost of tuition and fees and that students are going to have to work a lot more hours than previously?

My son is in college and struggles to get by keeping up with school and work. He had mono last semester from being very run-down.
Yep, same thing here. I have 3 kids in college and they all struggle to work enough to pay their bills (they are going to school with a combination of student loans, parent help and their own jobs) and still have enough time to study and get good grades. If they are required to do community service that's 2 more hours they have to squeeze into their week. My oldest works Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights from about 4:00 p.m. till 2:00 a.m. It's at a restaurant/brewery where she used to waitress but now is old enough to bartend and that's where she can make the money and that way she can work 3 days instead of 5 or 6. But she works on Wednesay, gets off at 2, and has class at 8 a.m. Thursday. She works every Friday and Saturday night till 2 a.m. so she has no weekend to hang out with friends and just be a college student. She has classes till about 1 every day. The classes she is taking now require a lot of reading. When she's not working or in class, she is studying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 04:30 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,619,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Someone needs to tell Obama that those who DON'T get minority scholarships and benefit from affirmative action need to WORK while attending school to be able to afford it. Volunteering is great but it's a luxury when students don't have rich parents to pay their bills.
Lol...this is incredible...minority scholarships, affirmative action and rich parents, who's left? Let me guess, the kids who have to work for their education or the kids who had to work for their scholarships? Odd thing about those scholarship kids, they excelled in school and civic leadership and were rewarded by folks who fund excellence...thank goodness they had parents who knew enough to teach them the value of good hard work vs. whining about how the system was rewarding everyone else while trying to beat them down and hold them back....

Volunteering is a luxury? For who? Volunteering coincides with help, and helping someone is better than the finest chocolate for the heart and soul.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Then I'm sure you, too, are glad that we will have an administration in the White House who wants to help with all that in any way he can (given the fact that if he helps TOO much, there will be screaming that our taxes are too high...it's not an easy situation to win, it would seem). What was your candidate going to do to help alleviate the cost of education for your children?
No, I am not glad. Because that $4000 a year isn't going to make a dent when the coast of attendance is about $19,000. They are still going to have to take out student loans and work. That is the point I am making.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:31 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,048,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Lol...this is incredible...minority scholarships, affirmative action and rich parents, who's left? Let me guess, the kids who have to work for their education or the kids who had to work for their scholarships? Odd thing about those scholarship kids, they excelled in school and civic leadership and were rewarded by folks who fund excellence...thank goodness they had parents who knew enough to teach them the value of good hard work vs. whining about how the system was rewarding everyone else while trying to beat them down and hold them back....

Volunteering is a luxury? For who? Volunteering coincides with help, and helping someone is better than the finest chocolate for the heart and soul.
Oh wow, what a beautiful sentiment, Walidm.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post

Then why not have the welfare recipients do the volunteering while the kids concentrate on school so they don't end up welfare recipients?

Old 11-07-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
No, I am not glad. Because that $4000 a year isn't going to make a dent when the coast of attendance is about $19,000. They are still going to have to take out student loans and work. That is the point I am making.
Well it will be $15,000.00 That's a sizable dent.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
So you would rather have nothing at all than $4000? That's the point I'm making.

And you don't think two hours a week of community service is worth $4000 over the course of a year? At 100 hours, that's forty bucks an a hour. Hell, I'd take it! Any student could easily work two hours less a week, use those two hours for the community service and be making several times and then some as much as he or she is making at his or her part-time job.

As a matter of fact, vs. a, say, $10-an-hour job, the student could work a couple hours a week less in exchange for those two hours a week of community service, be resting more, obviously, and still be making the same total amount of money.

Yes, they will still have to be taking out student loans and possibly working. Were you hoping for completely free college educations?

Old 11-07-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Then why not have the welfare recipients do the volunteering while the kids concentrate on school so they don't end up welfare recipients?
They're in school, why would they end up on welfare? Not studying? Planning on dropping out? Most folks who attend an institution of higher learning do so to further themselves.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:38 PM

998 posts, read 1,515,469 times
Some people will whine about anything.

It's time to just start ignoring them into irrelevance.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
That's not a bad idea either. Why not have people who receive assistance do community service? Even differently-abled or limited-ability people can do some sort of community service. It would probably also bolster their self-esteem to be putting something back into the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections