Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:31 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,311,278 times

Advertisements

Although I did not vote for Obama, I really liked his speech. After having that idiot George Bush for 8 years, listening to Obama just made me realize how bad Bush really is and how conditioned I have become to having a moron for president. Bush's speeches were always idiotic with nothing intellectual and full of empty rhetoric and BS. It seems to me that we may be moving in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 06:03 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Yeah, the Obamabashers on this board constantly belittled the importance of Obama's great oratory skills - but the fact is, those types of skills REALLY MATTER in a leader. Think of all the great speeches throughout history and how they have helped provide courage and determination to people in times of crisis. Think of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address - or Churchills' "we shall fight them on the beaches" - or FDR's "Day of Infamy". These were important speeches delivered by world-class orators and they remain famous for very good reasons - among them the fact that they helped provide resolute courage to people facing a fearful future. Great speakers can provide hope, confidence and guidance when times are tough - as they are today.

So, yes, Obama's impressive speaking skills are a great asset indeed - both to him personally, and to the country as whole.

Ken

Old 11-05-2008, 06:04 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,804,340 times
It's also nice to see the rest of the world starting to like us again.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:11 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,902,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
They already do as of 10 pm CST last night!!! Repubs don't see the importance of this though.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:14 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Indeed. In fact, it's not just nice, it's HELPFUL in pursuing US interests abroad. It shouldn't take a genius to understand the fact that ANY person who is well-liked will have an easier time getting what he wants (remember the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People"?). This is true at personal level and at a diplomatic level. Conversely someone who is disliked will have a more difficult time trying to achieve that. Bush has become so disliked overseas that it's made everything more difficult when it comes to foreign negotiations. Obama should be able to reverse some of that - and help us to make progress towards US goals around the world.

Ken

Old 11-05-2008, 06:35 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,664,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Although I did not vote for Obama, I really liked his speech. After having that idiot George Bush for 8 years, listening to Obama just made me realize how bad Bush really is and how conditioned I have become to having a moron for president. Bush's speeches were always idiotic with nothing intellectual and full of empty rhetoric and BS. It seems to me that we may be moving in the right direction.
Glad to hear you feel this way!

Old 11-05-2008, 07:02 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,580,693 times
Quote:
Yup. the Palestinians lobbed 45 missiles into Israel last night and the Russians today declared missile deployment along the Western front.

The Messiah will meet with all of them without precondition very soon to diffuse the situation.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:04 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,804,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Yup. the Palestinians lobbed 45 missiles into Israel last night and the Russians today declared missile deployment along the Western front.

The Messiah will meet with all of them without precondition very soon to diffuse the situation.
Yeah, that is all Obama's fault. Why must you be racist and call Obama the messiah?

Old 11-05-2008, 07:04 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,580,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Indeed. In fact, it's not just nice, it's HELPFUL in pursuing US interests abroad. It shouldn't take a genius to understand the fact that ANY person who is well-liked will have an easier time getting what he wants (remember the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People"?). This is true at personal level and at a diplomatic level. Conversely someone who is disliked will have a more difficult time trying to achieve that. Bush has become so disliked overseas that it's made everything more difficult when it comes to foreign negotiations. Obama should be able to reverse some of that - and help us to make progress towards US goals around the world.

Ken
Trust, but verify.

Peace through superior firepower.

Have you any research to back up these outrageous claims?

Old 11-05-2008, 07:05 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
It is such a relief that, for the first time in 8 years, we will finally have a president that is smarter than I am. I'm tired of holding my breath everytime the president speaks...wondering how he will embarrass us this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections