Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:41 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,642,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
She had more than the 143 days of holding public office than Obama had and everyone seems to think he is perfectly qualified.
*feels as if his point has been totally ignored*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 11:43 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
"Palin plays no role in national defense activities, even when they involve the Alaska National Guard. The entire operation is under federal control, and the governor is not briefed on situations. According to Global Security, "the governor commands AKNG [Alaska National Guard] while it is not in active federal service. The principal executive officer of DMVA [Department of Military and Veterans Affairs], the adjutant general, is an appointee of the governor." It should be noted, however, that the current adjutant general, Gen. Campbell, was appointed in 2003...more than three years before Palin took office. So she didn't even make the decision determining who would run the Alaska National Guard. Palin's role in national security is indirect at best and even then her involvement, if any is only enforceable within Alaska borders. She has no authority outside of the state. Nor does she have the ability to override Federal authority. True, as Governor she has direct control of the Alaska National Guard while they are in Alaska and can use them to deal with civil crises (I.E. natural disasters, riots, etc.) that directly affect the state. However, in the event of a national security crisis such as a war, invasion etc. those National Guard troops can be federalized at the direction of the President. In that event, she is effectively taken out of the Alaska National Guard chain of command even if that national security crisis just happens to occur within the borders of Alaska. Her job is simply to govern not to command."
Link?

Old 11-09-2008, 11:49 AM

The governor commands AKNG while it is not in active federal service. The principal executive officer of DMVA, the adjutant general, is an appointee of the governor. The Army National Guard component and the Air National Guard components are each commanded by an assistant adjutant general appointed by the adjutant general with the concurrence of the governor.

Alaska Army National Guard

Old 11-09-2008, 12:15 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,642,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
The governor commands AKNG while it is not in active federal service. The principal executive officer of DMVA, the adjutant general, is an appointee of the governor. The Army National Guard component and the Air National Guard components are each commanded by an assistant adjutant general appointed by the adjutant general with the concurrence of the governor.

Alaska Army National Guard
Yup.

So? The Adjutant General's appointment predates Governor Palin's rise to power.

And here is the news story that details the degree of involvement the "Commander in Chief" of the Alaska National Guard had in their operations:
Palin's military command limited: Gov. Sarah Palin | adn.com

"I had more military action in one week when I was in the Army as a sergeant (in Vietnam) than I had as commander in chief for eight years," said former Governor Knowles.

This component of her executive experience is a mirage.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
She had more than the 143 days of holding public office than Obama had and everyone seems to think he is perfectly qualified.
What on earth are you talking about? Obama was an Illiniois State Senator for 8 years, and a US senator for two years before he ran for Pres, plus two more years after. That is, uh, 3650 days before he ran for election and almost 730 afterward. If you are looking only at the days the Senate was in session before he ran, maybe, maybe you get 143.

Palin was a city councilwoman in a tiny town of ~5000 people. I have lived in such a town. The council members hold other jobs and come together for a meeting twice a month to discuss mostly, quite frankly, land use issues: should a building permit for site #blah, blah, blah, be issued? Once in a while they propose a new tax for a rec center, or fixing roads, or something like that, and refer it out. Then she was mayor, and had a city manager to do the day-to-day that she is so often credited with doing.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:32 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,704,369 times
What a wonderful country we live in where someone can work their way up from the bottom to the top. Why should a woman who was a mayor and governor not aspire to higher goals? Why is it o.k for Obama to work his way up and not her? Every little bit of experience or knowledge gained counts for something.

Obama is running rapidly toward center for now (no change so far), but I suspect he's thinking about his next 4 yrs and that's when he'll spring all his crazy ideas at us.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Yup.

So? The Adjutant General's appointment predates Governor Palin's rise to power.

And here is the news story that details the degree of involvement the "Commander in Chief" of the Alaska National Guard had in their operations:
Palin's military command limited: Gov. Sarah Palin | adn.com

"I had more military action in one week when I was in the Army as a sergeant (in Vietnam) than I had as commander in chief for eight years," said former Governor Knowles.

This component of her executive experience is a mirage.
Does national guard not speak for itself to you? Are you having a hard time understand what an executive does? Here is a hint Obama is doing it now....you know appointing people.... I think you took a wrong assumption of my intent on posting that info.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:38 PM

Default Not that this matters anymore.

From the time Obama was sworn in on Jan. 3, 2005, until the day he announced his exploratory committee on Jan. 16, 2007, the Senate was in session 304 days, according to the Secretary of the Senate's official count.

FactCheck.org: How long have Obama and McCain been in Congress? (http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/how_long_have_obama_and_mccain_been.html - broken link)

Old 11-09-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Does national guard not speak for itself to you? Are you having a hard time understand what an executive does? Here is a hint Obama is doing it now....you know appointing people.... I think you took a wrong assumption of my intent on posting that info.
Sarah did not appoint the commander, and she did not appoint any members of the guard. It's a voluntary service. She MAY have signed a few comissions, but I'd bet she had nothing to do with them.

love roses, I have no problem with Sarah working her way up. To imply Obama did not is disingenous.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:57 PM

Cheri Jacobus of the right-leaning blog The Loft supplied the number 143 days.
Quote:
When we called to ask Jacobus how she arrived at her count, she called back and left a message saying the number was provided by "some young guy in the Senate" who gave her an "advanced calendar," and that he was looking at the number of days the Senate was "actually voting." Senators do indeed work on days that they may not actually vote.
FactCheck.org: How long have Obama and McCain been in Congress? (http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/how_long_have_obama_and_mccain_been.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections