Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 04:15 PM

68,353 posts, read 54,549,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
they have a word to describe those who kill others in order to enforce a message for their beliefs onto others. its called TERRORIST.

And all this time I thought they called them George, Dick, and Donny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 04:28 PM

543 posts, read 1,457,900 times
The only reason why Ayers got his "respected" position was through his Daddy's connections. It also got his terrorist wife Bernadine Dohrn a position at a top law firm. They are nothing but terrorist thugs, and show no remorse for the damage they did. If people hold them up as role models, they are pretty sick people.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
The only reason why Ayers got his "respected" position was through his Daddy's connections. It also got his terrorist wife Bernadine Dohrn a position at a top law firm. They are nothing but terrorist thugs, and show no remorse for the damage they did. If people hold them up as role models, they are pretty sick people.

Gee, if his Daddy'd had better connections he coulda been President

Old 11-09-2008, 06:05 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,111,641 times
Quote:
I guess millions of near boomers need to head to the Doctors.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:14 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,111,641 times
Everybody's Talking About the Weather
"If the Weather Underground ever had this many followers, maybe things would have turned out differently!" So floated the joke at Greenwich Village's Judson Memorial Church, where nearly 500 people gathered last June to hear two former Weathermen reflect on radical history and the new American empire. The discussion was organized in connection with the New York City premiere of the Academy Award-nominated documentary The Weather Underground. Far from a nostalgia-fest of graying rebels, the gathering, like other overflow events accompanying the film's release, was composed largely of young people.

The sense quickly built in the room that a different and better plan was needed--some new form of force without violence, which could not be so easily assaulted, hemmed in, vilified or tempted into self-destructive escalation. But what? And how might it be harnessed in time for the Republican convention in New York City, on which activist eyes have long turned?

And the McCain campaign helped convey the nostalgia of the movement to the youth of today. How many Obama votes was that worth?

Yes You Did

Old 11-09-2008, 07:27 PM

543 posts, read 1,457,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Everybody's Talking About the Weather
"If the Weather Underground ever had this many followers, maybe things would have turned out differently!" So floated the joke at Greenwich Village's Judson Memorial Church, where nearly 500 people gathered last June to hear two former Weathermen reflect on radical history and the new American empire. The discussion was organized in connection with the New York City premiere of the Academy Award-nominated documentary The Weather Underground. Far from a nostalgia-fest of graying rebels, the gathering, like other overflow events accompanying the film's release, was composed largely of young people.

The sense quickly built in the room that a different and better plan was needed--some new form of force without violence, which could not be so easily assaulted, hemmed in, vilified or tempted into self-destructive escalation. But what? And how might it be harnessed in time for the Republican convention in New York City, on which activist eyes have long turned?

And the McCain campaign helped convey the nostalgia of the movement to the youth of today. How many Obama votes was that worth?

Yes You Did
Yes, well one of my daughters HS teachers was defending Ayers as well, he is a boomer. There is a nostalgia for the sixties and the passion of those times, especially by the young. But, looking at it logically, how could people who are anti-war and peace at all costs, advocate using force and violence like they did. And even though the WU bombed empty sites, they took great risks with lives, and did end up killing. Also, maybe unrelated, but I remember vividly the Brinks robbery...these people (including Dohrn) were still using violence in the early eighties, killing innocent people. I don't think force is right in any form... Maybe Obama got his votes, but if there is a movement to use force, then maybe people are right to be concerned about Obama's Ayers connection.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, well one of my daughters HS teachers was defending Ayers as well, he is a boomer. There is a nostalgia for the sixties and the passion of those times, especially by the young. But, looking at it logically, how could people who are anti-war and peace at all costs, advocate using force and violence like they did. And even though the WU bombed empty sites, they took great risks with lives, and did end up killing. Also, maybe unrelated, but I remember vividly the Brinks robbery...these people (including Dohrn) were still using violence in the early eighties, killing innocent people. I don't think force is right in any form... Maybe Obama got his votes, but if there is a movement to use force, then maybe people are right to be concerned about Obama's Ayers connection.

I don't think 'anti-war' is necessarily the equivalent of 'anti-Vietnam-war'. Good, bad, or indifferent many at the time believed that if the government was insistent (and let's remember the Nixon White House was full of people soon to be convicted criminals) they fight a war, fighting the misleadership of that crooked government made more sense than going halfway round the world to fight in a civil war that simply wasn't our fight. It doesn't justify the WU's actions but history hasn't justified the government's either.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:51 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,835,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Ayers never killed anyone. He had the decency to give his targets a warning call before bombing them, unlike McCain.
Ayers also said he didn't do enough in his campaigns of terror and should have done more.... And this is the person you idolize? Please! I lived thru the 60s and I thought him a manic then and still do now!!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:53 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,835,356 times
Quote:
Got news for you. Your daughter's teacher never should have DEFENDED Ayers. Teachers are supposed to be impartial -- I was one for 30 years.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Ayers also said he didn't do enough in his campaigns of terror and should have done more.... And this is the person you idolize? Please! I lived thru the 60s and I thought him a manic then and still do now!!

And your source is?

Everything I find has hime saying he didn't do enough to oppose the Vietnam War, NOT that he said he wished they'd bombed more.

I lived through the '60s and thought Nixon and his band of criminals to be maniacs and still do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections