Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:07 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,659,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
True to some extent but when the election is over you have to be nice to the team and not try to divide it even more! Serves nobody any good for McCain's team to throw her under the bus or for her to throw George under the bus. It makes the Republicans seem disorganized or appear to be in a state of disarray.

And the term Messiah for Obama.. he is not my Messiah, no more so than George W is yours!
The republicans have been in a state of disarray for years now. I can only hope that they will revisit the tenets of actual conservatism and reject their courting of the religious right.

You are right and my apologies --- Obama is not the Messiah, and that was a low blow from me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 10:56 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,483,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I wonder if we should all pitch in and send Sarah a mirror so she has a clear picture of where some of the blame lies.
Sadly, she's still in denial....

Old 11-10-2008, 11:03 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,744,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
Sadly, she's still in denial....
Too much Moose Chili!

Old 11-10-2008, 11:03 AM

574 posts, read 1,210,900 times
I was really afraid this is what would happen. Now the GOP doesn't even have to look at their own behavior because it was impossible for them to win after Bush. What a load. We were going to be rid of Bush regardless of who won the election and they would have both been a much better president.

Of the Republicans I know that voted Obama, the choice was not so much about Palin, but about McCain's choice of Palin. When the country needed a steady hand, a good decision maker despite what their party thought, a real maverick, he made himself look like he'd do anything to win the election..the country be damned. Then every time Palin opened her mouth she proved when you don't think about your decisions carefully, bad things come your way. I don't blame her for being an idiot, she can't really help that and you can't fix stupid. But it really made me question why McCain would run with an idiot...and there are no good answers to that question.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:19 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,898,363 times
Quote:
"Gov. Sarah Palin blames the Bush administration for the failure of the McCain-Palin ticket"

There seems to be a lot of people being thrown under the bus of late.. first McCain's aides threw Palin and she seems to be dragging George with her!

What a mess! Thoughts?

McClatchy Washington Bureau | 11/10/2008 | Palin's own words: 'Amazing we did as well as we did'

I think she's pretty much correct. Bush set up the GOP for inevitable failure this election, with the dismal condition of the country's economy, and especially for the extremely poor decision of invading Iraq. Even if we "win" over there, what exactly is it that we are winning? I mean, what will we eventually have to show for all the billions of $$$ we've spent over there? Purge Iraq of evil? Yeah...sure...for a week or two maybe. Saddam was an evil tyrant dictator, but as soon as we leave there's a 10,000 more where he came from...willing and ready to step in. The Iraqi people are just not salivating in anticipation at the thought of becoming a "Little America"...ain't gonna happen. It was Iraq when we went in, and it will still be Iraq when we leave...
Bush has ticked off A LOT of people...a majority of voters want absolutely nothing to do with him or his policies. Palin isn't dragging "George" down with her, it is the other way around...

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 11-10-2008 at 12:35 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 12:20 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,716,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I wonder if we should all pitch in and send Sarah a mirror so she has a clear picture of where some of the blame lies.
Or a phonecard (with Russian access?) so she can call someone who gives a damn?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:28 PM

11,448 posts, read 14,492,727 times
Quote:
"Gov. Sarah Palin blames the Bush administration for the failure of the McCain-Palin ticket"

There seems to be a lot of people being thrown under the bus of late.. first McCain's aides threw Palin and she seems to be dragging George with her!

What a mess! Thoughts?

McClatchy Washington Bureau | 11/10/2008 | Palin's own words: 'Amazing we did as well as we did'
She need look no further than the mirror.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:29 PM

998 posts, read 1,516,606 times
Too bad Sarah will probably never realize that she and John are to blame as well.

They wanted to talk smack about the other guy (which they stupidly, publicly announced), with the backdrop of 8 years of Bush.

The other guy wanted to talk about fixing the country.

No brainer.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:42 PM

472 posts, read 873,787 times
I've said this before... I'll say this again... Palin did not lose this election for McCain. McCain lost this election for McCain. He saw some strategic advantages in selecting Palin to appeal to the base and possibly attract independent women and Hillary supporters over some certifiable risks. In the end the risks outwieghed than the benefits. Only part of that objective was fulfilled. Sure she played a significant role in driving away women, independents and Hillary supporters, but she rallied the base to vote. On election day a significant percentage of votes were cast for Palin as well as McCain. They just weren't enough.

In the end it was a combination of Bush's legacy, the economy, and Palin's prescence ticket didn't help. But in the end it was the lack of focused message on the campaign trail that cost the GOP votes this year.

I'm an Obama supporter but somehow 52 Million people found a reason to vote for McCain/Palin.

Last edited by ocnymonty; 11-10-2008 at 01:03 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 12:46 PM

998 posts, read 1,516,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnymonty View Post
I've said this before... I'll say this again... Palin did not lose this election for McCain. McCain lost this election for McCain. He saw some strategic advantages in selecting Palin to appeal to the base and possibly attract independent women and Hillary supporters. Only part of that objective was fulfilled. Sure she played a significant role in driving away women, independents and Hillary supporters, but she rallied the base to vote. On election day a significant percentage of votes were cast for Palin as well as McCain. They just weren't enough.

In the end it was a combination of Bush's legacy, the economy, and lack of focused message on the campaign trail. Palin's prescence ticket didn't help... it didn't hurt either.

I'm an Obama supporter and somehow 52 Million people found a reason to vote for McCain/Palin
She energized the wrong part of the base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections