Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:38 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
That statement is given for 1 of 2 reasons;
  1. the person is in fact a racist
  2. the statement is racist, but disguised as something else
Yeah, yeah...we know that you can read people's minds because you are a liberal. It is time now to get rid of ALL affirmative action laws and rules in the United States. Obama proves that it can be done. Of course, Obama himself said that he was able to get his college education because of affirmative action. I doubt that he will want to get rid of those racist laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 01:45 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I doubt that he will want to get rid of those racist laws.
Obama shifts affirmative action rhetoric - David Paul Kuhn - Politico.com (from August)
No Democratic candidate for president has ever come so close to calling for an end to the era of identity-based affirmative action as has Barack Obama.

Since 2004, the first black major party nominee from either party has been offering comments suggesting that economic status should match or even trump race and gender as a criteria for who should benefit from the program — though he has yet to propose a specific policy, let alone one that matches his rhetoric.
Such hints of a possible new policy focus are a relatively recent development from Obama, who once said that he had “undoubtedly benefited from affirmative action” in his own academic career, though he didn’t specify at what institution he had so benefited. Friends have since recalled him saying that he did not list his race on his Harvard Law School application, though the candidate has said only that "I have no way of knowing whether I was a beneficiary of affirmative action either in my admission to Harvard or my initial election to the Review."

Old 11-20-2008, 01:53 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Obama shifts affirmative action rhetoric - David Paul Kuhn - Politico.com (from August)
No Democratic candidate for president has ever come so close to calling for an end to the era of identity-based affirmative action as has Barack Obama.

Since 2004, the first black major party nominee from either party has been offering comments suggesting that economic status should match or even trump race and gender as a criteria for who should benefit from the program — though he has yet to propose a specific policy, let alone one that matches his rhetoric.
Such hints of a possible new policy focus are a relatively recent development from Obama, who once said that he had “undoubtedly benefited from affirmative action” in his own academic career, though he didn’t specify at what institution he had so benefited. Friends have since recalled him saying that he did not list his race on his Harvard Law School application, though the candidate has said only that "I have no way of knowing whether I was a beneficiary of affirmative action either in my admission to Harvard or my initial election to the Review."
Well, I hope that he does get rid of them but I highly doubt he will. One does not have to list their race or ethnicity for the college or place of business to know what or who they are. That is a lame excuse and nothing but a bunch of BS when people use that as an excuse. This I know because I used to and still do hire. There is no problem finding out anything I wish about anyone I please at any given time. The colleges do the same thing.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:01 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Well, I hope that he does get rid of them but I highly doubt he will. One does not have to list their race or ethnicity for the college or place of business to know what or who they are. That is a lame excuse and nothing but a bunch of BS when people use that as an excuse. This I know because I used to and still do hire. There is no problem finding out anything I wish about anyone I please at any given time. The colleges do the same thing.
I know, I guess that's why he said he had no way of knowing whether which why. He certainly seems be aware of the swinging pendulum, and to know it's time for the pendulum to swing toward economic-based aid only. In the article he also says it wouldnt be right for his kids to be offered financial aid because of their race, over a white kid who's in need.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:20 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,638,668 times
Quote:
Obama proves that it can be done. Of course, Obama himself said that he was able to get his college education because of affirmative action.
Two observations:

1) Those two sentences seem contradictory to me.

2) One person's success is not proof that the playing field is even slightly leveled. As more than one person observed, self-made men are seldom the product of just the self.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:57 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,120,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
It was really awesome to see President Elect Obama joining President Bush at the White House today...as a Conservative Republican, I also have to say it was awesome to see that a black man will be President...I just wish he were a Conservative! Go ahead liberals...twist this all around and make it into something other than how I meant it!
Very nice of you to say this...

Old 11-21-2008, 07:03 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
It was really awesome to see President Elect Obama joining President Bush at the White House today...as a Conservative Republican, I also have to say it was awesome to see that a black man will be President...I just wish he were a Conservative! Go ahead liberals...twist this all around and make it into something other than how I meant it!
REALLY good post!!! If the GOP was filled with people like you,the world would be a much better place.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:18 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
REALLY good post!!! If the GOP was filled with people like you,the world would be a much better place.

And I am hoping appeasement does not become the hallmark of the GOP, weak and rudderless as it is...

Old 11-21-2008, 10:13 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,492,679 times
Affirmative action could end tomorrow and the Obama girls would still receive preferential treatment in education, hiring and promotion by virtue of who their parents are. This happens every day, all day long with wealthy, elite individuals of all races.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I saw the smiles on the faces of blacks Nov. 5th and I truly am happy for them. I hope things go well for the Obama administration too. But I also have serious doubts about a very naive first term Senator with no executive experience and the most liberal voting record in the Senate taking the reins in a time of war and economic turmoil with Pelosi and Reed chomping at their respective bits. On the other hand this is a wonderful time to be a white male. We can perhaps now, finally address the horribly unfair policy of affirmative action that penalizes poor white males for being born poor, white and male. No other group is shunned in this way, and the idea that Obama's girls should be shown preferential treatment over a poor or working class white male in education, hiring and promotion is a social obscenity.

Buy GE!

Old 11-21-2008, 10:28 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Affirmative action could end tomorrow and the Obama girls would still receive preferential treatment in education, hiring and promotion by virtue of who their parents are. This happens every day, all day long with wealthy, elite individuals of all races.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
That doesn't make mandated affirmative action any less unjust. It simply (and falsely) addresses one form of preference by creating another, by adding race to a preferred set of categories which include wealth and "elitism" (whatever that means).

Bottom line: as presently iterated, mandated affirmative action does not take into account either wealthy members of minority groups (of which there are an increasing number) or the offspring of impecunious caucasians (whose numbers are simliarly burgeoning).

In this year which has witnessed the extraordinary event of an African-American's accession to the highest office in the land, let's keep our eye on the ball and walk the talk: "...not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections