Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:54 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the point View Post
idea after all, look at how the markets have performed since the 5th, no investor confidence in our great leader.
The economy disaster of the Bush administration is tanking the economy and the market.

If the dottering old fool had been elected it would also be going down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 08:00 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
How many times will people continue to totally ignore the fact this has been happening for longer than the Bush admin. The tech bubble was not a misunderstanding. It was real. It really happened. When will people understand that the tax cuts where put in place to try and curb this and it did for a short time period as another bubble festered. I tend to think of it as a boil filled with snake oil but whatever.

You can argue all day it's Bush's fault but it's folly at best.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 11-12-2008 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: repair

Old 11-12-2008, 08:06 PM

528 posts, read 1,463,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
How many time will people continue to totally ignore the fact this has been happening for longer than the Bush admin. The tech bubble was not misunderstanding. It was real. It really happened. When will people understand that the tax cuts where put in place to try and curb this and it did for a short time period as another bubble festered. I tend to think of it as a boil filled with snake oil but whatever.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with you here.

Let it be known, I think Bush made a mess, but it has been going on for longer than the last 8 years. Bush just didn't help matters.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:15 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,479,702 times
Quote:
idea after all, look at how the markets have performed since the 5th, no investor confidence in our great leader.
Please....the markets have been horrible since September and this has nothing to do with Obama.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Well certainly if Bush did all this by himself (and we need to forget that most of his terms, the stock market was soaring), and Bush had a democrat Congress and Senate working to stop him which Obama does not have, Obama should be able to single-handedly fix the economy.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
How many times will people continue to totally ignore the fact this has been happening for longer than the Bush admin. The tech bubble was not a misunderstanding. It was real. It really happened. When will people understand that the tax cuts where put in place to try and curb this and it did for a short time period as another bubble festered. I tend to think of it as a boil filled with snake oil but whatever.

And the housing bubble was about way too many McMansions going up, more houses than there are people to buy them. Housing developers, mortgage lenders, and crooked real estate agents got very greedy. It was all about money. No matter that there were too many houses being built, the builders brought in millions more cheap labor to build more to sell for way more then the houses were ever worth. Lenders and real estate agents did all they could to con people into buying houses they coudn't afford.

And -- the people themselves. What better way to impress your friends and neighbors than a big impressive house, a brand new foreign made car in the driveway? People got into a buying frenzy, but buying everything with credit.

So all it began to collapse and the same idiots in Washington DC that couldn't see what was on the horizon are now the bumbling idiots devising plans to rescue it.

And how do they rescue a false economy that was based on spending money that would be earned in the future? By throwing money at the problem from taxes raised on money earned in the future.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:53 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Default And the more the planner plan.... A time for choosing

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

So all it began to collapse and the same idiots in Washington DC that couldn't see what was on the horizon are now the bumbling idiots devising plans to rescue it.
"For three decades, we've sought to solve the problems of unemployment through government planning, and the more the plans fail, the more the planners plan."

RR

Old 11-13-2008, 09:03 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
You're alone there. I appreciate when someone can make a statement they claim to be fact and back it up (what a concept). And actually, it was part of the idea of this board - that people would discuss subjects intellectually, and support their claims.

I see a lot of people on this board spewing garbage. If half of those people followed the rules and found support for their claims, I'd guess there'd be only a third of the posts that are on here now.

Besides, if you're the one trying to convince, why should I try to Google to support your claim?

I have spent countless minutes supporting my claims with sources, es[ecially for this poster and minibrings does not bother to check them out or goes on and on ad naseum with his/her own opinion, without any substance or links to back them up.
Apparently, I am not alone in my thinking on this one...my reply got me 3 rep points.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:01 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
I have spent countless minutes supporting my claims with sources, es[ecially for this poster and minibrings does not bother to check them out or goes on and on ad naseum with his/her own opinion, without any substance or links to back them up.
Apparently, I am not alone in my thinking on this one...my reply got me 3 rep points.
You claim you spend countless minutes supporting your claims with sources, why do you not expect the same from the OP? If you look at post #1 there is no evidence of the research that you claim to always provide. We are not the OP's researchers, the burden of proof is on the OP. Asking for a link is not going on ad naseum. It was a one sentence request. I am not alone on CD asking for links when none are provided, this is not an uncommon request on CD.

Just as an FYI since you obviously do not understand the true value of having links, links allow a basis for discussion and provides credence to the OPs position. A CD full of "the sky is falling" threads based on people's feelings (rather than facts) would be a much less interesting forum. There are already too many asinine threads on CD. If you do not value having links, why do you spend countless minutes researching when you post?

As for rep points, this is not a popularity contest--I would hope we are long past middle school; I am surprised old women need cyber validation. I would be really sad if I found out my mother or any old woman, went to the internet to obtain validation; I'd spend more time with them to ease their loneliness.

Holier than though attitudes get old fast and can happen when one is on a high horse for too long. Dismounting recommended.

If you do not like people who ask for links, put them on your Ignore list, it would be a pleasure to add your name to mine.

Last edited by minibrings; 11-13-2008 at 12:52 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 03:54 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
Quote:
Today the Dow had its third best single-session gain in its history.
CNNMoney.com Market Report - Nov. 13, 2008

And several analysts indicate that Obama has nothing to do with the current market declines/fluctuations, despite claims by conservative commentators
http://mediamatters.org/items/200811070011

So OP can you provide us with a brilliant explanation on this dichotomy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections