Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 10:27 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,705,959 times

Advertisements

Marriage has nothing to do with church. You go to the courts, you sign a MARRIAGE certificate and you are done, you are married. THEN, if the couple wants, they can get a marriage backed by their church. Now, some churches allow gay marriage, and others don't. So, if my church allows me to get marry, why would your church say no to my right? After all, I am Christian too, I go to chuch every Sunday and as far as I know, I am a believer just as you say you are. So why would you say that "tradition" would negate me the right to get marry? because of chuch? Face it, you, nor the government, nor any religious organization (either your church or mine) can't deny rights to one group and allow others to enjoy them. Why is that so difficult to understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 10:34 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,246,148 times
Gays and lesbians can get legally married in all 50 states, just not to someone of the same sex. I guess that means all Americans have the same rights in that regard.

Being a Libertarian, I don't think the government should be in the business of defining marriage at all.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,699,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Marriage has nothing to do with church. You go to the courts, you sign a MARRIAGE certificate and you are done, you are married. THEN, if the couple wants, they can get a marriage backed by their church. Now, some churches allow gay marriage, and others don't. So, if my church allows me to get marry, why would your church say no to my right? After all, I am Christian too, I go to chuch every Sunday and as far as I know, I am a believer just as you say you are. So why would you say that "tradition" would negate me the right to get marry? because of chuch? Face it, you, nor the government, nor any religious organization (either your church or mine) can't deny rights to one group and allow others to enjoy them. Why is that so difficult to understand?
When you go to the courthouse and get a marriage certificate, it is for a civil marriage. To have a marriage in the church, you have to go to a church to get it. Some churches will not marry straight people if certain predetermined conditions are not met! Many churches will not marry people who are from different religions, for ex. That is why we have so many different branches of Christianity. Different beliefs in each church. Why would you expect a Lutheran church, Catholic church, Church of Christ, Southern Baptist Church, Methodist Church and a Church of Brethen to have the same rules/beliefs? If they DID, they would all be the same branch - not different branches and different churches. Different churches recognize different sacraments and have very different theology or doctrines.

The Catholic church won't let you re-marry after a divorce unless you get a annulment. That is their right! That is why there are so many different churches and why you should just choose the one that fits your lifestyle and beliefs. That is what we all do! If you are against abortion, for ex, you will belong to a church that has members who believe as you do.

If you don't like what one church teaches/preaches, go find one that you agree with - or don't attend. Pretty simple.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:40 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,432,639 times
Quote:

You make no sense here. My church allows this, this church doesn't allow that. If my church allows something that isn't legal, guess who wins? And what would happen next, you'd turn it into a pick-a-church just to meet the needs of what you believe is a basic right.

The majority has spoken. What's so difficult to understand about that?

Old 11-13-2008, 10:42 AM

16,086 posts, read 41,263,523 times
How did the majority stand on slavery?

Old 11-13-2008, 10:44 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post

You're going to compare enslavement to this???????? REALLY????????

Old 11-13-2008, 10:46 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,877,647 times
Quote:
That's the great thing about democracy! No matter how much it pisses you off, the will of the majority does determine the rights of the minority.

I question the legitimicy of churches that conduct gay "marriages", as the bible specifically says it is a sin against God for a man to lay with a man as he does a woman. God's word was not meant to be cherry picked for verses that suit the lifestyle we choose to lead. Rather, it was meant to be an all encompassing roadmap on how we should conduct ourselves.

With perserverence, it is quite possible that a person can find a church that allows (or doesnt condemn) any "lifestyle" choice you could think of- regardless of Biblical teachings.

To keep on topic, I will ask if anyone has information on where counter protestors will meet?

Old 11-13-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post

To keep on topic, I will ask if anyone has information on where counter protestors will meet?
Well, historically speaking, usually across the street from wherever the activists are meeting.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, historically speaking, usually across the street from wherever the activists are meeting.

Now that's pretty funny.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
And this pertains to gay marriage in what way?

FYI - there was slavery in every single state of this union at one time in history. So don't even think about getting all self-righteous on that one. And this does not just apply to the USA. Slavery was all over the world, not just here. Read your history b/f you start throwing THAT particular rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections