Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 07:29 AM

13,680 posts, read 20,824,726 times

Advertisements

Yes we should lift the Embargo. Considering he took Florida, it should be relatively easy.

But...heed my words. Expect Havana to scuttle it. Its not like the Brothers Castro do not want the Embargo to remain, no matter how much they may complain about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 07:34 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,125,225 times
Our official attitude toward Cuba is just off the charts silly. We give Communist China "most favored nation" trading status, buy 1/2 of all consumer products from Communist China, are a trillion dollars in debt to Communist China, travel freely back and forth to Communist China, etc. etc. ....but we can't buy a cane of sugar from Cuba or set on little toe on Cuban soil. If this makes sense to anyone NOT taking money from the rich anti-Castro Cubans in Florida, please raise your hand.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,890,148 times
I spent some time at GTMO fourty years ago while in the USN. Looked like a pretty place and the winter weather was wonderful.

Of course we should open relations and trade with cuba. We should have never closed them.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:44 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,044,208 times
Well lets get a few things straight here...

First of all, the embargo was for revenge against Castro, not against the Cuban people. Sure, it may not have been the right way of doing things, but if you read some history about it I think the motives were quite clear. With Castro gone, I see no reason to continue putting pressure on them.

Next up, if Cuba is such a paradise, why do so many people take the risk of leaving for the US?

I do believe Castro epitomizes the fact that Liberalism is never 'Progressive'. His brother, however, has gone to great lengths to improve his country.

Yes the embargo should be lifted, but not right away. We should give them another year or two to prove that they can behave. We also need to make sure Raul's intentions remain better than his brother's.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Well lets get a few things straight here...

First of all, the embargo was for revenge against Castro, not against the Cuban people. Sure, it may not have been the right way of doing things, but if you read some history about it I think the motives were quite clear. With Castro gone, I see no reason to continue putting pressure on them.

Next up, if Cuba is such a paradise, why do so many people take the risk of leaving for the US?

I do believe Castro epitomizes the fact that Liberalism is never 'Progressive'. His brother, however, has gone to great lengths to improve his country.

Yes the embargo should be lifted, but not right away. We should give them another year or two to prove that they can behave. We also need to make sure Raul's intentions remain better than his brother's.
True.

And considering Castro began nationalizing foreign holdings without compensation, a violation of international law, one might credit El Maximo with starting the Embargo.

Castro is just another Latin American thug strutting (well not so much these days) around in a uniform. Palm trees and good rum do not hide a police state.

But the Embargo just makes us look like a vindictive bully. Were I Obama, I would unilaterally lift it and loudly, and I mean loudly, challenge the Castro thugs to reciprocate.

It would be fun to watch them squirm.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:33 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,696,657 times
I don't condone Castro and I hope he rots in hell. My family also saw their properties aprehended, and they weren't evil American mobsters, just poor emigrants who achieved fortune by working their asses off. However, the American policy has been proven a flaw. Castro is still in power and Cubans lack a lot of daily stuff. If both countries had normal relations it would certainly help Cubans and weaken the authoritarian Government.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:53 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,791,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I don't condone Castro and I hope he rots in hell. My family also saw their properties aprehended, and they weren't evil American mobsters, just poor emigrants who achieved fortune by working their asses off. However, the American policy has been proven a flaw. Castro is still in power and Cubans lack a lot of daily stuff. If both countries had normal relations it would certainly help Cubans and weaken the authoritarian Government.
Yes indeed! And Arnold and Rush wouldn't have to sneak their cigars anymore.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:02 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,696,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Yes indeed! And Arnold and Rush wouldn't have to sneak their cigars anymore.

not only cigars! Cuba produces the best rum in the world. However, barrels made out of tropical trees' wood are not suitable. The best is the one that comes from American oaks. As Cubans cannot purchase any good from the USA, Canadian companies buy American oaks for cheap, make the barrels and sell them to Cuba. Pretty pointless, uh

Old 11-14-2008, 10:19 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,711,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
Sure lets get flights going to Cuba and while we are at it lets set up flights to North Korea and Iran.

I know many Americans would love to spend summer vacations in Iran.
Actually, I would. As a person involved in wrestling and martial arts, I could learn a lot from the Iranian people.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
not only cigars! Cuba produces the best rum in the world. However, barrels made out of tropical trees' wood are not suitable. The best is the one that comes from American oaks. As Cubans cannot purchase any good from the USA, Canadian companies buy American oaks for cheap, make the barrels and sell them to Cuba. Pretty pointless, uh
It is pointless.

But your statement does dispell the myth that the Embargo is the source of Cuba's economic woes rather than a corrupt, archaic system of central planning and other state supported nonsense. Cuba can trade with anyone. Problem is good cigars (some say overrated) and good rum (just as good as other kinds really) are not going to make you into an economic powerhouse.

But your points are well taken and I do agree for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections