Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 02:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Your bias shows right off the bat. "(yes, they do exist)"

Anyways. The idea that conservative are against stem cell research is ridiculous. They don't want human farms to be created so the selfishness of humanity can make themselves live longer at the price of morality.

You turn humans into a cluster of cells and you can watch humanity summarily destroy itself for it's own greed.
The comment "yes, they do exist" was meant to be sarcastic. The Repubs are always saying that virtually all professors are liberals, or worse. Actually, there are a lot of conservative professors, especially in science and engineering.

Your comment about stem-cell research shows that you don't know much about it. Even Nancy Reagan supports it, BTW. (Although I think you meant to say "The idea that conservatives are NOT against stem cell research. . . ")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 02:55 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The comment "yes, they do exist" was meant to be sarcastic. The Repubs are always saying that virtually all professors are liberals, or worse. Actually, there are a lot of conservative professors, especially in science and engineering.

Your comment about stem-cell research shows that you don't know much about it. Even Nancy Reagan supports it, BTW. (Although I think you meant to say "The idea that conservatives are NOT against stem cell research. . . ")
My husband's closest colleagues (the American ones) in his scientific field are almost all conservatives.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:56 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Judging from this board, I'd say there are a lot of anti-intellectuals on both sides.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:58 PM

401 posts, read 685,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Professors should teach unbiased facts and let the receiver of those facts make up his/her own mind about how they feel about the subject.

What professors should do and what they actually do are two completely different things. I listen in on allot of university lectures via Podcast U, and I am frequently amazed at how some apparently brilliant professors can make extremely stupid mistakes that were inspired by pure bias.

I have actually heard a professor claim that ancient Egyptians could not write therefore the story of Moses is a fake, and not ten minutes later talk about hieroglyphics found in pyramids.
While the existence of ancient writing may not prove the story of Moses, a professor that one moment is claiming the ancient Egyptians could not write and ten minutes later admitting that they could proves that at least one liberal professor is a bias idiot!

Old 11-15-2008, 03:03 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post
Oh okay... BigJon.

I think you need to read the title of the thread and then rethink that line of "reasoning".

I won't hold my breath.

Anyway, I deleted my post before you posted this; I guess you were too quick. I had decided, after reading your reply to Katiana, that you aren't interested in discussing rationally, and that it was just better to not engage you.

So... with that in mind...

I guess if being irrational is discussing facts.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:

No the argument is stem cell research is fine as long as you leave out the farms of human embryos only made for the greed of "eternal life"

Conservatives are not against stem cell research. I am not against stem cell research. I am against farms of human embryos created in the attempt to find well of life. It's counter productive to create and destroy to gain the ability to create...

Old 11-15-2008, 03:08 PM

401 posts, read 685,285 times
Quote:

We are not against the types of stem cell research that has actually shown promise like adult stem cell research and cord blood stem cell research.
Those two kinds of stem cells had produced almost 100 different medical treatments last time I read up on the subject. The only things that embryonic
stem cell research has produced in rampant cancer growth in lab rats, and tons of controversy. Contrary to popular belief anyone who wants to can do research on embryonic stem cells they just can't get funding from the government for it. If embryonic stem cell research was half as promising as the media says medical companies would be fully funding it, but they are funding the most promising research instead of the politically correct one.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:11 PM

This new idea that conservatives are against intellectualism is irrational in itself. Without getting into the broad generalization in the mid 80's conservatism was rampant. Liberalism was the minority. When in a minority humans tend to feel they want to get the word out. The will be embolden by feeling their ideals are disappearing and will feel the need to voice their opinions the loudest. It's only inevitable to see a growth of liberalism in the college's. The exact opposite will reign true when when conservatives become too much of a minority. The education system is on a continual revolution just as anything else. You can't think you have a monopoly on humans because they will prove you wrong every time. Even to the point of their own demise.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 11-15-2008 at 03:55 PM..

Old 11-15-2008, 03:12 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post
Thanks for saving us time by perfectly illustrating anti-intellectualism with this post.

You just went off the deep-end, and and started accusing this professor and Domergurl of ridiculous things.

Smells EXACTLY like FEAR to me.
Wrong!
I am anti a-hole.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:12 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
"Above all, Mencken was unfair, outrageous, mean, savage, misanthropic, and possessed nothing but contempt for the average American. Seeing him as a superstitious boob drunk with self-righteousness, anti-intellectualism, and religious zeal, Mencken believed that it was his duty to reveal how America had ceded control to this ridiculous dimwit." - Book Review of A Second Mencken Chrestomathy, RuthlessReviews.Com

Amazon.com: mencken

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections