Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:04 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,649,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
Hagel is the worst of both worlds. Domestically his record is ultra-conservative. He has been a strong supporter of Bush's right wing social policies. Has vehemently opposed even stem cell research.

On foreign policy he has been isolationist. A throw-back to the rightwingers of the 1930's. He's not just opposed to the Iraq war, he is opposed to any US intervention anywhere. He has opposed aid to Israel, and any action against terror groups directly or indirectly.

Take a look at his record. It's shocking and sad that there are reports that Obama is considering him for a position. I hope it's not true.
Hmm...If this is the case - even better. This should quell those eschewing the mantra that the President-elect is going to espouse and implement some ultra liberal agenda...looks like this could provide the balance many desire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:06 AM

13,186 posts, read 15,023,332 times
Hell no. You do not reinforce the idea that Republicans are good at National Defense. I'm OK with GOP cabinet members but not for Military matters.
That just plays into the right wing storyline that they know what's best for National security.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,037,008 times
Obama did say last night that at least one cabinet member would be republican. Maybe it's Hagel...

Old 11-17-2008, 10:54 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,215,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, not really diversionary, just alternative. I don't care if people want to start 100 threads about Palin, but since she hasn't done anything new or particularly colorful lately I find her boring. I'd much rather speculate about what the future holds, and try to figure out the puzzle of who fits where in Obama's cabinet.
Hey, I was behavin', wasn't I...only one teeny tiny "Palin" comment in the Plumber thread. (Is there an "innocent angel" icon?)

And I agree with your premise....she's history.

The cabinet guessing game IS fun...but he sure is keeping us hanging!

Old 11-17-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The cabinet guessing game IS fun...but he sure is keeping us hanging!
LOL, I think he enjoys being a tease... did you see him last night announcing he would reveal his cabinet picks "soon"?

Old 11-17-2008, 12:47 PM

17,765 posts, read 39,853,255 times
Hagel is anti-choice so he can have some cred with the GOP. He pretty much hitched his horse up to the Obama cart during the big playdate in the Middle East and Europe, looking supercool.

Gates will probably stay on until at least a year into the Obama presidency to oversee the drawdown of troops in Iraq and the shift of troops to Afghanistan. Hagel will have an office close by.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:02 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,285,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
Hagel is the worst of both worlds. Domestically his record is ultra-conservative. He has been a strong supporter of Bush's right wing social policies. Has vehemently opposed even stem cell research.

On foreign policy he has been isolationist. A throw-back to the rightwingers of the 1930's. He's not just opposed to the Iraq war, he is opposed to any US intervention anywhere. He has opposed aid to Israel, and any action against terror groups directly or indirectly.

Take a look at his record. It's shocking and sad that there are reports that Obama is considering him for a position. I hope it's not true.
Uhmmm Maybe a stupid question but.
Why should we send our troops into harms way if it has no bearing on our own national security? Playing world cop has gotten more than a few soldiers killed. Somalia? Lebanon?
Why should we continue monetary support of Israel? By any measure they are a wealthy nation on par with Italy or spain but with a smaller population. Not to mention their loyalty to the USA is questionable at best.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:46 PM

38,856 posts, read 25,663,216 times
Default Chuck Hagel: Secretary of Defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Looks like Gates will stay on as Secretary of Defense... but for how long? Will Chuck Hagel fill Gates' vacancy if and when Gates leaves office--and when would that be?

And... do you think Hagel will fill some other spot in the meantime?

I don't see Hagel as SecDef, but he'd probably be great as head of the Veteran's Administration.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:32 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,337,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Hmm...If this is the case - even better. This should quell those eschewing the mantra that the President-elect is going to espouse and implement some ultra liberal agenda...looks like this could provide the balance many desire.
I think people are looking for Obama to appoint a moderate Republican. Not an ultra-conservative who has a record which makes him a combo of Bush and Buchanan.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I don't see Hagel as SecDef, but he'd probably be great as head of the Veteran's Administration.
I can see him heading the VA at first, and then making the transition when Gates leaves. Gates, BTW, is an independent--so that wasn't who Obama was referring to when he said his cabinet would definitely have at least one republican. I'm guessing it's Hagel--because as much as Schwarzeneggar is trying to get on the team, I don't think he'll end up in Obama's cabinet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections