Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:44 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times

Advertisements

The GOP will lose future presidential elections if it continues to alienate the Hispanic population with the ugly tone of its rhetoric. The anti-illegal immigration debate (being cheerleaded by the GOP) has often devolved into anti-Hispanic racist bashing. For evidence of this, check out the immigration forum of City Data.

This article
Hispanic Panic mentions 5 battleground states that will determine the winners of future presidential contests: Colorado, New Mexico, Florida, Arizona, and Nevada. All 5 states have growing Hispanic populations. Already, the Republican party got a taste of the power of the Hispanic vote when 4 out of 5 of these states (except McCain's home state of Arizona) voted for Obama. In 2004, they all voted for Bush. With McCain off the ballot in 2012, it is highly likely that Arizona (and possibly even Texas) will go blue. If this happens, it is very possible that the GOP will never again be able to win any future presidential elections...unless....

.....their next candidate is a Hispanic-American, and preferably a woman. But I can't think of any Hispanic female Republican politician of national stature who is a potential threat to Obama in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 11:54 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
.....their next candidate is a Hispanic-American, and preferably a woman. But I can't think of any Hispanic female Republican politician of national stature who is a potential threat to Obama in 2012.
I don't know of anyone who fits that description, either--but politicians are often created. Maybe they can start grooming a young Cuban American from Florida if there's someone that has potential.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:09 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I don't know of anyone who fits that description, either--but politicians are often created. Maybe they can start grooming a young Cuban American from Florida if there's someone that has potential.
even if they could find a cuban american to run, he/she would not attract the vote of mexican americans, some of whom view the cubans as "opportunists" who use the "latino" label when it benefits them. they consider themselves "white" otherwise.
i'll say it again. giving citizenship to illegals ranks pretty low in the minds of most mex americans who have been here for multiple generations. in fact, most of us would like to see them deported b/c when others see them, they think of us. what does tug at us is the vitriol that some of the repugs display towards the illegals and the symbolism of repugs as a bunch of haters. i don't really see the repugs coming out with a latino messiah, because most mex american republicans are looked at as "tio tacos" here in the southwest.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:12 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Well loook at Palin. A right wing conservative woman. Did that bring any voters over to the GOP?

No. And polls show it did nothing to sway women. http://www.time.com/time/politics/ar...846443,00.html

Hispanics are the same way. They know what party bad mouths them every chance they get.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:17 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
giving citizenship to illegals ranks pretty low in the minds of most mex americans who have been here for multiple generations.
I see what you're saying. Although it should be pointed out that there are plenty of Cuban-American families that have been here for multiple generations. I went to high school in Miami in the 50's and believe me there were plenty of Cubans there back then. I'm sure there are potential candidates in all the various latin groups, and in all the states for that matter. I mostly thought of Florida because if you're going to create a candidate why not choose one from a swing state?

Old 11-16-2008, 12:19 PM

The GOP will have a hard time winning Hispanic votes. But it is not hopeless. Hispanics are predominantly Catholic and socially conservative. If the GOP can field a Hispanic presidential or vice presidential candidate in 2012, that may give Obama a run for his money.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:20 PM

Sen. Mel Martinez is a Hispanic Republican from Florida...though, I don't think he has enough charisma to beat Obama.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:25 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
The GOP will have a hard time winning Hispanic votes. But it is not hopeless. Hispanics are predominantly Catholic and socially conservative. If the GOP can field a Hispanic presidential or vice presidential candidate in 2012, that may give Obama a run for his money.
Why do you think just having a hispanic on the ticket with the same old GOP will do anything?

You think thats all it takes? Just puting the right race up there??

You folks are worse off than I thought. You may spend 2 decades in the wilderness before you figure out it's your ideology that's the problem.....not your race.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Why do you think just having a hispanic on the ticket with the same old GOP will do anything?

You think thats all it takes? Just puting the right race up there??

You folks are worse off than I thought. You may spend 2 decades in the wilderness before you figure out it's your ideology that's the problem.....not your race.
Race matters in the sense that Hispanics will see that they are being represented in the Republican party, not being scapegoated all the time. If the Hispanic candidate will pursue an anti-Hispanic ideology, then of course Hispanics will not vote for him.....just as women didn't vote for Palin because of her anti-woman ideology.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:34 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
What about Mitt Romney?

His father; George, was born/raised in Chihuahua, Mx----------admittedly his 'Anglo' US citizen parents were (probably) legal residents SOB.

BTW: there is no Hispanic race----------not all Latinos are of Aztec, etc heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections