Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 10:40 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,705,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
Thank you for correcting my spelling -- I actually knew it didn't look right and did an on-line spell check, but for some reason the computer failed me!!
No problem. Although I wasn't correcting your spelling. I honestly wanted to know if you meant 'factious' or facetious' because the two words change the meanings of your posts drastically, and I couldn't figure out what you were trying to say.

Quote:
That brings up an interesting point though regarding spoken and written grammar. I have heard it said that written grammar is the product of education (ie., Harvard, Yale etc.) whereas spoken grammar is learned at your mothers knee. Just something to think about.
Your point?

(Good thing my written and spoken grammar are correct, I guess...)

Old 11-17-2008, 10:41 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,842,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I thought it was a good interview, but this part bugged me for some reason. Maybe I am being picky, but there are people who have to live in that "dump" she referred to. If I were one of them, I think I might have been offended by that comment.

I took the comment to mean that the apartment was likely not homey, decorated- hence the bachelor pad reference rather than implying that the building itself was a dump- I think she probably mean that it was probably sparse and bland.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:42 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,445,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
i took the comment to mean that the apartment was likely not homey, decorated- hence the bachelor pad reference rather than implying that the building itself was a dump- i think she probably mean that it was probably sparse and bland.
ok.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:43 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,167,184 times
Quote:
OH PLEASE!!!!!!! Just admit that you didn't like McCain. Were you even watching when he made the comment or did you just let other Obamatron tell you what to think! As I stated earlier, I was not a fan of either Obama or McCain but it is nutcases like you who would turn me against Obama.
I have no problem "admitting" that I don't like McCain...for many reasons.
Why would you think I did ?

Yes, I saw McCain say this and have a right to my opinion of it.

I base my opinions on what I see, hear, read from numerous sources.

If you want to base your opinion on Obama on my opinion of McCain(which is really twisted and not very intelligent) you certainly have that right.

It won't make any difference...he has already been ELECTED!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
WHOA ........... It wasn't you who said that his obviously joking remark made you realize "how out of touch McCain was". Why are you jumping on my case for pointing out that it was a joke as you apparently understood. The poster in question has since admitted that she did not see McCain make the comment but let others tell her what to think!
Your post led me to believe that you were implying that since I originally brought up the $5M McCain comment (I was the first poster in this thread to mention it, IIRC) as a means to *prove* that the Obamas fall into the "middle class" category, I was not intelligent enough to realize that McCain probably does not honestly think that anyone who makes less than $5M/yr is middle class.

If I was wrong, and you were referring to another poster, then I sincerely apologize for my misunderstanding of the context of your post regarding such.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:47 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,167,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I thought it was a good interview, but this part bugged me for some reason. Maybe I am being picky, but there are people who have to live in that "dump" she referred to. If I were one of them, I think I might have been offended by that comment.
That bothered me at first, too, as a little snotty. But then I realized it was aimed at teasing Barack .

Old 11-17-2008, 10:48 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,821,199 times
Quote:
Regardless of the true meaning behind McCain's $5million joke, I was more troubled by the fact that he did not know how many houses he owned.

Definitely not middle class in my humble opinion.
Obviously that was troubling, although it might be explained by Mrs McCain's business ownership of properties. I had an aunt who owned a much smaller business than the McCains and owned a number of condos for business use. However, I don't think that anyone would try to say that the McCain's are middle class. Neither are the Kerrys, Kennedys, Gores, etc.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:49 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,279,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
By the way, when I first referenced the $5M McCain remark a few posts ago, I was mentioning it in jest, to irk a poster who was insisting that the Obamas do not have middle class roots. .
I'm the poster you were trying to irk. Didn't work, did it?

Old 11-17-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I took the comment to mean that the apartment was likely not homey, decorated- hence the bachelor pad reference rather than implying that the building itself was a dump- I think she probably mean that it was probably sparse and bland.
That's exactly what I thought, as well. I was picturing a college kid's apartment, with wall hangings covering the windows (instead of curtains), a big-screen tv in the corner, unmatched IKEA furniture sparsely decorating the place, and empty pizza boxes littering the countertops. He he.

Hmmm...I hope that's not was Mr. President-Elect's apartment looked like.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:53 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,860,358 times
you mean the factory workers that are part of unions that ensure that someone who sweeps floors gets paid $80,000 per year with full retirement benefits just because they have been there for 20 years? you want to know why all those factory jobs went bye bye? try getting news from sources that aren't the bluffington post or moveback.org. you'd be shocked at what you might find. I am guessing that you are one of two types of people. this is me going out on a limb. I will guess that you are either the captain suburbia type. the type that lives in affluent suburbs and talks about the plight of the inner cities and the poor factory workers from a good safe distance. if olbermann said it, it needs to further research. or maybe you fit into the classic urban know it all liberal. the one who talks about the poor people in new orleans from an urban flat costing $2000 per month. these types can't believe what they read on left wing blogs while sucking down $8 beverages at the local juice bar with wifi.

I am all grown up. I am also what you seem to consider poor. I had no AC all summer. I also don't use heat. sometimes I only eat 1 meal a day. I canceled cable and my cell phone. when times are tough, you learn to do without. you don't expect to maintain the same quality of living at the expense of another. take off the blinders. I live in the freaking ghetto, I know first hand the real causes of the majority of poverty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Hmmm...I may be going out on a limb here, but I'd venture to guess that all those factory workers in Michigan and Ohio, who've ben laid off through no fault of their own in recent months, are worried less about losing their (most likely non-existent) satellite packages and gourmet coffee fixes, and are more worried about how to explain to their children that Christmas will suck this year (no, Santa's not skipping their house because they were bad kids), while at the same time, worrying about how to pay next month's heating bill and how to provide three squares a day for their children over the coming months, until they're able to find new, gainful employment.

Grow up and learn to be just a little compassionate, will ya? Or, if you can't handle that, maybe you could give *some* people the benefit of the doubt, and not assume that everyone's only worried about losing mall-shopping privileges and other non-essential indulgences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.